Equivalence relation - Proof question

In summary: So the transitive property is also satisfied. In summary, if there is a one-to-one correspondence between two finite sets, then the relation between the two sets is an equivalence relation.
Ryuzaki

Homework Statement

Prove that the relation, two finite sets are equivalent if there is a one-to-one correspondence between them, is an equivalence relation on the collection [itex]S[/itex] of all finite sets.

I'm sure I know the gist of how to do it, but I'm a beginner in proofs, and I'm not sure if I've written it down correctly. I absolutely encourage nitpicking in the following proof, as I wish to learn how proofs are correctly written. Thanks! :smile:

Homework Equations

N/A

The Attempt at a Solution

Let [itex]S[/itex] be the class of all finite sets.
Let [itex] A, B [/itex] and [itex] C[/itex] be three finite sets.

Reflexive property

Now, [itex]n(A) = n(A)[/itex], and hence there exists a one-to-one correspondence between [itex]A[/itex] and [itex]A[/itex]

Therefore, [itex]A \approx A[/itex] ------------------(1)

Symmetric property

Let [itex]A \approx B[/itex]
[itex]\Rightarrow n(A) = n(B)[/itex]
[itex]\Rightarrow n(B) = n(A)[/itex], and hence there exists a one-to-one correspondence between [itex]B[/itex] and [itex]A[/itex]

[itex]\Rightarrow B \approx A[/itex]

Therefore, [itex]A \approx B \Rightarrow B \approx A[/itex]----------------(2)

Transitive property

Let [itex]A \approx B [/itex]
[itex]\Rightarrow n(A) = n(B)[/itex]---------------------(3)

Also, let [itex]B \approx C [/itex]
[itex]\Rightarrow n(B) = n(C)[/itex]---------------------(4)

From (3) and (4), [itex]n(A) = n(C)[/itex]
[itex]\Rightarrow A \approx C [/itex]

Therefore, [itex] A \approx B[/itex] and [itex]B \approx C \Rightarrow A \approx C[/itex]--------(5)

From (1), (2) and (5), it is clear that the relation, two finite sets are equivalent if there is a one-to-one correspondence between them, is an equivalence relation.

Q.E.D

Physics news on Phys.org
It is certainly true that if two finite sets have the same number of elements then there is a 1-1 correspondence between them. But I doubt you are to use that. Instead of talking about n(A) and n(B) you should be talking about 1-1 correspondence between them. For example, to see if ##A\approx A## you need to demonstrate a 1-1 function ##f## from ##A## onto ##A##. And so forth.

LCKurtz said:
It is certainly true that if two finite sets have the same number of elements then there is a 1-1 correspondence between them. But I doubt you are to use that.

Why is it that I can't use it? I thought it would be generalized if I prove it this way, using the number of elements.

Instead of talking about n(A) and n(B) you should be talking about 1-1 correspondence between them. For example, to see if ##A\approx A## you need to demonstrate a 1-1 function ##f## from ##A## onto ##A##. And so forth.

But then, doesn't the demonstration of such a function depend on [itex]A[/itex], or to be precise, the domain of [itex]A[/itex]? How can this work for any general [itex]A[/itex]?

Ryuzaki said:
Why is it that I can't use it? I thought it would be generalized if I prove it this way, using the number of elements.

I don't know what you are allowed to use; ask your teacher. I'm just saying I would expect a simple direct proof using the definition you are given.
But then, doesn't the demonstration of such a function depend on [itex]A[/itex], or to be precise, the domain of [itex]A[/itex]? How can this work for any general [itex]A[/itex]?

What do you mean by the "domain of ##A##"? ##A## is a set, not a function. If ##A## is any finite set, can't you think of a 1-1 correspondence from ##A## to ##A##? It is really trivial...

LCKurtz said:
I don't know what you are allowed to use; ask your teacher. I'm just saying I would expect a simple direct proof using the definition you are given.

Sorry if I sounded assertive. I don't have a teacher. I'm self-learning from a text named A Concrete Introduction to Higher Algebra, by Lindsay N. Childs.

What do you mean by the "domain of ##A##"? ##A## is a set, not a function. If ##A## is any finite set, can't you think of a 1-1 correspondence from ##A## to ##A##? It is really trivial...
Ah, sorry about that. Guess it doesn't make much sense when I read it now. An identity mapping should do the trick, shouldn't it?

Ryuzaki said:
An identity mapping should do the trick, shouldn't it?

Yes. So ##A\approx A##. Now how about the symmetric and transitive properties, using the notion of 1-1 correspondence?

Since [itex] A \approx B[/itex], there exists a one-to-correspondence from [itex]A[/itex] to [itex]B[/itex], and thus, it must have an inverse, which is another one-to-one correspondence from [itex]B[/itex] to [itex]A[/itex]. So, the symmetric property is satisfied.

I'm not sure about proving the transitive property. If a [itex]f[/itex] is a one-to-one correspondence from [itex]A[/itex] to [itex]B[/itex], and if [itex]g[/itex] is another one-to-one correspondence from [itex]B[/itex] to [itex]C[/itex], is [itex]g \circ f[/itex] a one-to-one correspondence from [itex]A[/itex] to [itex]C[/itex]? If so, how is this proved? If it's true, then the transitive property is also taken care of.

Ryuzaki said:
Since [itex] A \approx B[/itex], there exists a one-to-correspondence from [itex]A[/itex] to [itex]B[/itex], and thus, it must have an inverse, which is another one-to-one correspondence from [itex]B[/itex] to [itex]A[/itex]. So, the symmetric property is satisfied.
OK, that works.
I'm not sure about proving the transitive property. If a [itex]f[/itex] is a one-to-one correspondence from [itex]A[/itex] to [itex]B[/itex], and if [itex]g[/itex] is another one-to-one correspondence from [itex]B[/itex] to [itex]C[/itex], is [itex]g \circ f[/itex] a one-to-one correspondence from [itex]A[/itex] to [itex]C[/itex]? If so, how is this proved? If it's true, then the transitive property is also taken care of.

Yes, that is the only non-trivial part of the problem. The way it is proved is to show ##g\circ f## is 1-1 and onto from ##A## to ##C##. Write down what you have to show and use the properties of ##f## and ##g## to prove it.

Ryuzaki said:

I should also have probably commented a little more on this. It is certainly true that a 1-1 correspondence ##f## must have an inverse which is also a 1-1 correspondence. But, unless you are appealing to a previous theorem, you should prove that. I know it is "obvious", but you can actually show the inverse exists, is defined on all of ##B##, is onto ##A##, and is 1-1. You have simply declared those facts to be true, not proved them.

1. What is an equivalence relation?

An equivalence relation is a mathematical concept that defines a relationship between two elements such that they are considered "equivalent" in some way. It is a binary relation that is reflexive, symmetric, and transitive.

2. What is a proof question about an equivalence relation?

A proof question about an equivalence relation asks for a mathematical demonstration that a given relation satisfies the properties of reflexivity, symmetry, and transitivity.

3. How do you prove reflexivity in an equivalence relation?

To prove reflexivity in an equivalence relation, you must show that every element in the given set is related to itself. This can be done by either showing that the relation contains ordered pairs of the form (x, x) for all x in the set, or by showing that the reflexive property holds for all elements in the set.

4. How do you prove symmetry in an equivalence relation?

To prove symmetry in an equivalence relation, you must show that if two elements are related, then their order can be reversed and the relation still holds. This can be done by showing that if (x, y) is in the relation, then (y, x) is also in the relation.

5. How do you prove transitivity in an equivalence relation?

To prove transitivity in an equivalence relation, you must show that if two pairs of elements are related, then the transitive property holds and the third pair is also related. This can be done by showing that if (x, y) and (y, z) are in the relation, then (x, z) is also in the relation.