Simplifying the Algebra for Gaussian Curvature

In summary: Keep up the good work. In summary, the student is struggling with simplifying an equation involving Gaussian curvature. They have taken all the required derivatives and checked with their professor, but are having trouble reducing the algebra to get the correct answer. Their attempted solution is correct, but there is a typo in the denominator. The suggested simplification of factoring out a z2 leads to the final answer of 1.
InertialRef

Homework Statement

Hello everyone. :) I'm having trouble simplifying the last little bit of this question that deals with Gaussian curvature. I've taken all the required derivatives, and double checked with my professor to make sure that they're correct. I'm only have trouble with reducing the algebra to get the right answer. If anyone could point out where I'm going wrong with my steps, I'd be really grateful.

κG = {[(-z2 - x2)/(z3)][(-z2 - (3-y)2)/z3] - [(x(3-y))/z3]2}/[1 + x2/z2 + (3-y)2/z2]2

Homework Equations

κG = [(fxx)(fyy) - fxy2]/[1+fx2+fy2]2

This was the equation given for the Gaussian Curvature. The original function and subsequent derivatives are below. The question mentioned that when the derivatives are taken, they should be written in terms of x, y and z. So any time the derivative contained the term √(6y - x2 - y2 - 8), it was replaced with z.

f(x,y) = z = √(6y - x2 - y2 - 8)

fx = -x/√(6y - x2 - y2 - 8) = -x/z
fy = (3-y)/√(6y - x2 - y2 - 8) = (3-y)/z

fxx = -z2 - x2/z3
fyy = -z2 - (3-y)2/z3
fxy = x(3-y)/z3

The Attempt at a Solution

κG = {[(-z2 - x2)/(z3)][(-z2 - (3-y)2)/z3] - [(x(3-y))/z3]2}/[1 + x2/z2 + (3-y)2/z2]2

κG = {[(z2 + x2)[z2 + (3-y)2] - x2(3-y)2]/z6}/(1 + (x2/z2) + ((3-y)2/z2))2

κG = [(z4 + z2(3-y)2 + z2x2 + x2(3-y)2 - x2(3-y)2)/x6]/[(z2+x2+(3-y)2)/z2]2

κG = [(z4 + z2(3-y)2 + z2(x2))/z6)][z4/(z2+x2+(3-y)2)2]

κG = [z2(z2 + (3-y)2 + x2)/z6][z4/(z2 + x2 + (3-y)2)2]

κG = 1/[z2 + x2 + (3-y)2]

This is what I have so far. Every time I do the algebra, I get the answer 1/[z2 + x2 + (3-y)2]. The answer is listed as 1, and that makes sense, since the curvature for a sphere is constant irrespective where you are on the curve.

I'm just wondering where I went wrong with my algebra. It seems correct to me, and I've double checked my derivatives as well.

Physics news on Phys.org
Any help would be appreciated.

Dear student,

Thank you for reaching out for help with your question. The first thing I noticed is that you have a typo in your attempted solution. In the line where you have "κG = [(z4 + z2(3-y)2 + z2x2 + x2(3-y)2 - x2(3-y)2)/x6]/[(z2+x2+(3-y)2)/z2]2", the denominator should be z6 instead of x6. This may have affected your final answer.

Other than that, your steps seem to be correct. However, I would suggest simplifying the expression further by factoring out a z2 from the numerator, which would give you κG = z2/[z2 + x2 + (3-y)2]. Then, since z2 is present in both the numerator and denominator, it can be cancelled out, leaving you with the final answer of 1.

I hope this helps and good luck with your studies!

1. What is Gaussian curvature?

Gaussian curvature is a measure of the curvature of a two-dimensional surface in three-dimensional space. It is named after mathematician Carl Friedrich Gauss and is a fundamental concept in differential geometry.

2. Why is it important to simplify the algebra for Gaussian curvature?

Simplifying the algebra for Gaussian curvature makes it easier to calculate and understand the curvature of a surface. It also allows for more efficient and accurate analyses of surfaces in various fields such as physics, engineering, and computer graphics.

3. How is Gaussian curvature calculated?

Gaussian curvature is calculated using the first and second fundamental forms of a surface, which describe how the surface bends and curves in different directions. The formula for Gaussian curvature involves the partial derivatives of these forms, and can be simplified using algebraic techniques.

4. What are some real-world applications of Gaussian curvature?

Gaussian curvature has many practical applications, such as in the design of curved surfaces in architecture, the study of weather patterns on the Earth's surface, and the analysis of shapes and forms in computer graphics and animation. It is also used in fields such as physics, biology, and geology to understand the shapes and properties of various natural and man-made structures.

5. Are there any limitations to simplifying the algebra for Gaussian curvature?

While simplifying the algebra for Gaussian curvature can make it easier to calculate and understand, it may not always be possible to simplify the formula in certain cases. This can be due to the complexity of the surface or the lack of information about its properties. In such cases, other methods or approximations may be used to estimate the Gaussian curvature.