Investigating an Unexpected Error: What's Wrong?

• Thread starter jaumzaum
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Error
In summary, this person has trouble understanding the Leibniz notation and has mistakenly multiplied by 1 instead of dividing.
jaumzaum
What is wrong??

Hi,

I want to know where is the mistake in the statement below (I really don't know what is wrong, but it is obviously wrong)

[itex] \frac{\partial ^{2}x}{\partial t^{2}} = \frac{\partial ^{2}x}{\partial x^{2}} (\frac{\partial x}{\partial t} )^{2} [/itex]

But
[itex] \frac{\partial ^{2}x}{\partial x^{2}} = \frac{\partial \frac{\partial x}{\partial x}}{\partial x} = \frac{\partial 1}{\partial x} = 0[/itex]

This way:
[itex] \frac{\partial ^{2}x}{\partial t^{2}} = 0[/itex]

Thanks,
John

Physics news on Phys.org
After so many posts, you surely know that you should post what is given and what you are supposed to find.

Really.

jaumzaum said:
Hi,

I want to know where is the mistake in the statement below (I really don't know what is wrong, but it is obviously wrong)

[itex] \frac{\partial ^{2}x}{\partial t^{2}} = \frac{\partial ^{2}x}{\partial x^{2}} (\frac{\partial x}{\partial t} )^{2} [/itex]

That first statement doesn't look true.

What does the following simplify to?
$$ \frac{\partial x}{\partial x}$$

voko said:
After so many posts, you surely know that you should post what is given and what you are supposed to find.

Really.

Sorry.

Imagine a car traveling in the x axis. It's initial position is zero and its initial velocity ∂x/∂t is zero too. Although it has a variable acceleration a.

[itex] a = \frac{\partial ^{2}x}{\partial t^{2}} [/itex]

I've just multiplied by
[itex]\frac{\partial x^{2}}{\partial x^{2}} [/itex]
to get
[itex] \frac{\partial ^{2}x}{\partial x^{2}} (\frac{\partial x}{\partial t} )^{2} [/itex]

In my conception I just multiplied by 1 and got an absurd result. "a" is not always zero (I haven't even mentioned the function a(t))

First of all, it is far from clear why you are using partial derivatives. You have functions of just one argument - the time - so ordinary derivatives would work fine.

Second, ## a = \frac {d^2x} {dt^2} \ne (\frac {dx} {dt})^2 = v^2##.

jaumzaum said:
Sorry.

Imagine a car traveling in the x axis. It's initial position is zero and its initial velocity ∂x/∂t is zero too. Although it has a variable acceleration a.

[itex] a = \frac{\partial ^{2}x}{\partial t^{2}} [/itex]

I've just multiplied by
[itex]\frac{\partial x^{2}}{\partial x^{2}} [/itex]
to get
[itex] \frac{\partial ^{2}x}{\partial x^{2}} (\frac{\partial x}{\partial t} )^{2} [/itex]

In my conception I just multiplied by 1 and got an absurd result. "a" is not always zero (I haven't even mentioned the function a(t))

Yikes, I think you're having a problem with notation vs. concepts.

First of all,

[itex] \frac{\partial ^{2}x}{\partial x^{2}} (\frac{\partial x}{\partial t} )^{2}[/itex]

is in no way, shape, or form, the same as

[itex]\frac{\partial ^{2}x}{\partial t^{2}}[/itex]

You did multiply by 1, but your mistake is thinking that the Leibniz notation is just like a simple fraction involving numbers being multiplied because it looks the same. It is a fraction, but ∂ is not a number. ∂/∂ is not 1, it's not anything, it's like saying +/+ or (grapefruit)/(I think Michael Shannon is a talented actor.)-edited out-

I proved that it couldn't be true, but misread the equation myself in doing so. :/

Last edited:
1MileCrash said:
Yikes, I think you're having a problem with notation vs. concepts.

First of all,

[itex] \frac{\partial ^{2}x}{\partial x^{2}} (\frac{\partial x}{\partial t} )^{2}[/itex]

is in no way, shape, or form, the same as

[itex]\frac{\partial ^{2}x}{\partial t^{2}}[/itex]

You did multiply by 1, but your mistake is thinking that the Leibniz notation is just like a simple fraction involving numbers being multiplied because it looks the same. It is a fraction, but ∂ is not a number. ∂/∂ is not 1, it's not anything, it's like saying +/+ or (grapefruit)/(I think Michael Shannon is a talented actor.)

-edited out-

I proved that it couldn't be true, but misread the equation myself in doing so. :/

But why can I multiply dx/dt by dθ/dθ to get (dx/dθ)(dθ/dt) = w (dx/dθ).
I've just multipied by one too, and only rearranged the terms, as I did in the initial derivative. What's the difference between them? Why in the first one I cannot do this and in the second one I can?

Ok... this may be challenging to explain. What you've done is used symbols that look algebraic, who's values are not algebraic but defined, then did algebra with these symbols, assuming their values would be preserved.

Put it this way, some people write arcsin(x) as sin^-1(x). But, that doesn't mean I can do algebra to both sides and get a true statement, because the symbol "sin^-1(x)" gets its value from definition.

Here:

jaumzaum said:
Hi,

See,

[itex]\frac{\partial ^{2}x}{\partial x^{2}}[/itex]

Is 0.

This symbol, as a whole, means the acceleration of x with respect to itself. It will always be changing at a constant rate relative to itself (namely, 1) so you have made the claim:

[itex] \frac{\partial ^{2}x}{\partial t^{2}} = 0(\frac{\partial x}{\partial t} )^{2} [/itex]

[itex] \frac{\partial ^{2}x}{\partial t^{2}} = 0 [/itex]

That's the claim, period. The fact that if you leave 0 as you wrote it and do algebra to get something that looks true means absolutely nothing because our "zero" is zero through conceptual definition and not algebraically so (IE, the numerator is not 0.)

So it's like "changing your mind" mid way through.

"This is zero because of what we say the symbols mean, not algebraically"
to
"Do normal algebra with those symbols"
back to
"Now let's return to what the symbols mean again and observe the result."

Which will of course, end up as nonsense.

Last edited:
1MileCrash said:
[itex]\frac{\partial ^{2}x}{\partial x^{2}}[/itex]

Is 0.
Yes. That's where I was going when I asked this question.
Mark44 said:
What does the following simplify to?
$$ \frac{\partial x}{\partial x}$$
1MileCrash said:
This symbol, as a whole, means the acceleration of x with respect to itself.
Minor quibble. It means the second derivative of x with respect to itself. Acceleration usually means the second derivative of position with respect to time.
1MileCrash said:
It will always be changing at a constant rate relative to itself (namely, 1) so you have made the claim:

[itex] \frac{\partial ^{2}x}{\partial t^{2}} = 0(\frac{\partial x}{\partial t} )^{2} [/itex]

[itex] \frac{\partial ^{2}x}{\partial t^{2}} = 0 [/itex]

That's the claim, period. The fact that if you leave 0 as you wrote it and do algebra to get something that looks true means absolutely nothing because our "zero" is zero through conceptual definition and not algebraically so (IE, the numerator is not 0.)

So it's like "changing your mind" mid way through.

"This is zero because of what we say the symbols mean, not algebraically"
to
"Do normal algebra with those symbols"
back to
"Now let's return to what the symbols mean again and observe the result."

Which will of course, end up as nonsense.

Mark44 said:
Yes. That's where I was going when I asked this question.

Minor quibble. It means the second derivative of x with respect to itself. Acceleration usually means the second derivative of position with respect to time.

Well, of course I agree, but I wanted to stay in the OP's terms.

In fact, the symbols were not used correctly even by the 17th century's standard. Mr Leibniz did a marvelous job to ensure that ## \frac {d} {dt} \frac {d} {dt} ## naturally ends up being ## \frac {d^2} {dt^2} ##, not ## (\frac {d \text{something}} {dt})^2 ##, simply because it has two d's and none of the 'something'.

I think

was thought to be true because if you treat the RHS purely algebraically, you get

[itex]\frac{\partial ^{2}x\partial ^{2}x^{2}}{\partial ^{2} x^{2} \partial ^{2} t ^{2}}[/itex]

to which "cancelations" give

[itex]\frac{\partial ^{2}x}{ (\partial t)^{2}}[/itex]

Not due to an error involving

voko said:
## \frac {d} {dt} \frac {d} {dt} ## naturally ends up being ## \frac {d^2} {dt^2} ##, not ## (\frac {d \text{something}} {dt})^2 ##

Unless I'm missing it somewhere. :)

1. What is the first step in investigating an unexpected error?

The first step in investigating an unexpected error is to identify the error message or code that is being displayed. This can help narrow down the potential cause of the error.

2. Should I try to replicate the error?

Yes, it is important to try and replicate the error in order to gather more information and pinpoint the exact cause. This can also help with troubleshooting and finding a solution.

3. How can I determine if the error is caused by a software or hardware issue?

One way to determine if the error is caused by a software or hardware issue is to try running the same task or program on a different device. If the error occurs on multiple devices, it is more likely to be a software issue.

4. What should I do if I am unable to identify the cause of the error?

If you are unable to identify the cause of the error, it is recommended to reach out to a technical support team for assistance. They may have more resources and expertise to help troubleshoot and find a solution.

5. Is it important to document the steps taken during the investigation?

Yes, it is important to document the steps taken during the investigation in case the error occurs again in the future. This can also help others who may encounter the same error and need to troubleshoot it.