Finding the mass of a rotating wheel with an attached mass

In summary, Jesse2789 found the mass, M, of a rotating wheel of radius r that has an attached mass, m, suspended by a string using conservation of energy. The mass is suspended a height, h, above the ground and it takes a time of t seconds to reach the ground. Homework Equations U_g,mass = K_f,mass + K_f,wheel mgh = 1/2(m_b)(v_f)^2 + 1/2(Iω_f^2) (m_b is the hanging block's mass) I_(disk) = 1/2(Mr^2) The Attempt at a Solution a_y,block = (-2
Jesse2789

Homework Statement

Find the mass, M, of a rotating wheel of radius r that has an attached mass, m, suspended by a string using conservation of energy. The mass is suspended a height, h, above the ground and it takes a time of t seconds to reach the ground.

Homework Equations

[tex] U_g,mass = K_f,mass + K_f,wheel [/tex]
[tex] mgh = 1/2(m_b)(v_f)^2 + 1/2(Iω_f^2) [/tex] (m_b is the hanging block's mass)
[tex] I_(disk) = 1/2(Mr^2) [/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

[tex] a_y,block = (-2h)/(t^2) [/tex]
[tex] v_f,y,block = (a_y,block)*t [/tex]

^At this point the only two unknowns in the conservation equation are I and ω. To find ω_f could I just say that v_f,y,block is the same as the final tangential velocity of the wheel?

So then it would just be [tex] ω_f=v_t/r [/tex], then you could find M through [tex] I=Mr^2 [/tex]?

EDIT: I just tried this with numbers and came out to an unreasonably high mass of 1879kg. I did this in lab and could lift the wheel, so obviously there's an error somewhere in my reasoning.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Jesse2789 said:

Homework Statement

Find the mass, M, of a rotating wheel of radius r that has an attached mass, m, suspended by a string using conservation of energy. The mass is suspended a height, h, above the ground and it takes a time of t seconds to reach the ground.

Homework Equations

[tex] mgh = 1/2(m_b)(v_f)^2 + 1/2(Iω_f^2) [/tex] (m_b is the hanging block's mass)

^At this point the only two unknowns in the conservation equation are I and ω. To find ω_f could I just say that v_f,y,block is the same as the final tangential velocity of the wheel?

So then it would just be [tex] ω_f=v_t/r [/tex], then you could find M through [tex] I=Mr^2 [/tex]?

EDIT: I just tried this with numbers and came out to an unreasonably high mass of 1879kg. I did this in lab and could lift the wheel, so obviously there's an error somewhere in my reasoning.
Hello Jesse2789. Welcome to PF !

Is the string wrapped around the circumference of the wheel, or is it wrapped around an axel of smaller radius?

What numbers did you use & where did you get them?

Hi Jesse, welcome to PF!

You forgot to explain how that string is attached to the wheel. Is it wound on the rim?

Jesse2789 said:

Homework Statement

Homework Equations

So then it would just be [tex] ω_f=v_t/r [/tex], then you could find M through [tex] I=1/2Mr^2 [/tex]?

Yes, it is right, but I = 1/2 Mr2.

Jesse2789 said:

What is your final equation for M? What were the data?

ehild

Values & calculation

Alright, so the string is spun around the axle first of all.

Data collected from Trial #1 is as follows: Time to fall = 10.33 seconds, distance fallen = 0.557 meters, radius of wheel/axle system is 0.237 meters.

I ended up with [tex] M=4(mgh-0.5mv_f^2)/(r^2ω^2) [/tex], and with values this came out to an incredible 1879kg.

Here's also some of the work that led up to my final answer:

[tex] a_y = -2h/t^2 = -2(0.557m)/(10.33sec)^2 = -0.01044 m/s^2 [/tex]
[tex] v_f,y,block = a_yt = (-0.01044 m/s^2)(10.33sec) = -0.1078 m/s [/tex]
[tex] ω = v_t/r = (-0.1078 m/s)/(0.237m) = -0.4550 rads/sec [/tex]
[tex] mgh = 1/2mv_f^2+1/2(1/2Mr^2)ω^2 [/tex]

And then plugging in all values I found M to be 1879. (I have a feeling you cannot say that the tangential velocity of the wheel is the same as the final velocity of the block)

--Sidenote: I voiced my difficulties I was having with my professor via e-mail, as I have the class tomorrow, and she gave me an extension on the due date. So, I will be checking back on this post in a few hours when I wake up. Cheers! :)

Last edited:
You did not give the value of m and the radius of the axle.

ehild

The mass was varied over a few runs but for the initial calculation it started with m=1.002kg and the radius of the wheel & axle system is 0.237m. I found out what I did incorrectly though..

I said that [tex] ω=v_t/r= -0.4550 rad/s [/tex] but then when I plugged ω back into that equation I said [tex] ω^2 = (v_t)^2/(r^2) = ((-0.4550 rad/s)/(0.237m))^2 [/tex]
^^Right here I should not have divided by the r^2.

The correct answer was based off of the work done by gravity and the work done by the tension of the string. I'll post the work below (my professor showed this to me after class today).

Tension of string [tex] T = -ma_y + mg = m(g-a_y) [/tex]

Then using that tension applied to net work..

Net work = work done by tension - work done by gravity
[tex] W_(net)=W_T-W_w[/tex]
This gives [tex] 5.83 * 10^-3 J = W_(net) [/tex]

[tex] 5.83 * 10^-3 J = 1/2Iω^2 [/tex]
[tex] 5.83 * 10^-3 J = 1/4Mr^2ω^2 [/tex]

Then using the the previously solved for [tex] ω=v_t/r [/tex] I solved the mass, M, to be about 2.01 kg.

Sorry that I wasn't clear enough originally, I'll make sure to be much more concise next time! Also thanks for the welcome :-), I've been a guest browsing through the forums for quite a while.

Last edited:
You have the distance s and time t, so you can find the acceleration rate and final velocity

Find the linear KE of the block from ½ * m * v ²

The rotating KE = (m*g*s) - ( ½ * m * v ² )

The rotation rate of the wheel (ω) = v / r
(rad/sec)

The mass moment of inertia of the wheel = rotating KE / ( ½ * ω ² )

The mass of the wheel = mass moment of inertia / ( ½ * r ² )

1. How do you find the mass of a rotating wheel with an attached mass?

To find the mass of a rotating wheel with an attached mass, you will need to use the formula for moment of inertia. This formula takes into account the mass, shape, and distribution of the mass of the rotating object. Once you have calculated the moment of inertia, you can then use this value to find the mass of the wheel and attached mass.

2. What is moment of inertia?

Moment of inertia is a measure of an object's resistance to rotational motion. It is similar to mass in linear motion, but instead of measuring an object's resistance to linear motion, it measures its resistance to rotational motion. Moment of inertia takes into account the mass, shape, and distribution of the mass of an object.

3. How do you calculate moment of inertia for a rotating wheel?

To calculate the moment of inertia for a rotating wheel, you will need to use the formula: I = MR², where I is the moment of inertia, M is the mass of the wheel, and R is the radius of the wheel. This formula assumes that the mass of the wheel is evenly distributed and that it is rotating around its center of mass.

4. Can you find the mass of a rotating wheel with an attached mass without knowing the moment of inertia?

No, it is not possible to find the mass of a rotating wheel with an attached mass without knowing the moment of inertia. The moment of inertia is essential in calculating the mass of a rotating object, as it takes into account the mass, shape, and distribution of the mass. Without this information, it is impossible to accurately determine the mass of the wheel and attached mass.

5. What are some common units for moment of inertia?

The most commonly used unit for moment of inertia is kilogram-meter squared (kg•m²), however, other units such as gram-centimeter squared (g•cm²) or pound-square feet (lb•ft²) may also be used. The appropriate unit to use will depend on the system of measurement being used for the mass and distance of the rotating object.