Solving for Constants and Graphing Wave Function: Modern Physics Exam Guide

In summary, the person is asking for help with determining the constants and graphing the wave function of an electron. They have attempted to use boundary conditions and continuity of the derivative, but are unsure if their calculations are correct. They also mention that the potential function is not given and assume that the given wave function is not the trivial solution.
OhNoYaDidn't
This was in my Introduction to modern physics exam, but i don't quite know what i should do here... My teacher said there was an easy trick. Can you guys help me?

An electron is described by the following wave function
ψ(x)=(ax+b for 0<x<L,
cx+d for L<x<3L,
0 for x<0 V x>3L)

a) Determine the constants a, b and c, and sketch the graph of Ψ.

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried using the boundary conditions, but everything turns out being zero. Guys, please help me, I'm lost here.

Physics news on Phys.org
The gist of the problem as you pointed out, is to match the boundary conditions between the different regions. However, I don't see why this should turn out to be zero everywhere. Could you show your work that led you to this conclusion?

Ok, so applying the boundary conditions of the wave functions.
ψ(0-)= ψ(0+)
ψ(L-)= ψ(L+)
ψ(3L-)= ψ(3L+)
i get
b=0
a=-2c
d=-3L
---
Then i use the continuity of the derivative:

and i get
a = 0 = c = b, only d=-3L.

Is this right? I hope I'm not doing any ridiculous mistake.

OhNoYaDidn't said:
Ok, so applying the boundary conditions of the wave functions.
ψ(0-)= ψ(0+)
ψ(L-)= ψ(L+)
ψ(3L-)= ψ(3L+)
i get
b=0
a=-2c
d=-3L
d = -3Lc. I presume that is a typo since u managed to arrive at a = -2c.

From this you should be able to figure out the shape of the wavefunction. The values of a, c and d (which are related to each other), can be determined through imposing normalisation.

It is okay for the derivative not to be continuous. This can happen when the potential function itself is discontinuous to begin with. In this case since the potential is not given, we assume that the wavefunction given is not the trivial (zero) solution.

Hello! As a fellow scientist, I understand your struggle with solving for constants and graphing wave functions. The first step in solving for the constants a, b, and c is to use the boundary conditions, as you have already attempted. However, it seems that you may have made a mistake in your calculations. I would suggest going back and carefully checking your work to see if you missed any steps or made any errors.

If you are still having trouble, here is a tip that may help: remember that the wave function must be continuous and differentiable at all points. This means that the value of ψ(x) and its derivative must be the same on both sides of the boundary points (x=0, x=L, and x=3L). Using this information, you should be able to set up a system of equations and solve for the constants.

Once you have determined the values of a, b, and c, you can then sketch the graph of ψ(x). Remember to consider the shape of the wave function in each region and how it connects at the boundary points. It may also be helpful to use a graphing calculator or software to visualize the function.

I hope this helps. Good luck on your exam! Remember to always double check your work and don't be afraid to ask for help if you need it. Science is all about collaboration and problem solving.

1. What is the wave function problem?

The wave function problem, also known as the measurement problem, is a fundamental issue in quantum mechanics that concerns the nature of the wave function and its collapse upon measurement.

2. Why is the wave function problem important?

The wave function problem is important because it raises questions about the interpretation of quantum mechanics and how it relates to our classical understanding of the world. It also has implications for the role of consciousness in the measurement process.

3. How is the wave function related to probability?

The wave function represents the probability amplitude of finding a particle in a particular state upon measurement. The square of the wave function gives the probability of finding the particle in that state.

4. Is the wave function a physical entity?

The wave function itself is not considered a physical entity, but rather a mathematical representation of the state of a system. It cannot be directly measured, but its effects can be observed through the outcomes of measurements.

5. What are some proposed solutions to the wave function problem?

There are several proposed solutions to the wave function problem, including the many-worlds interpretation, the Copenhagen interpretation, and the pilot-wave theory. Each of these offers a different perspective on the nature of the wave function and its collapse upon measurement.