Getting Started in Physics: Books & Olympiads

• Thread starter asianinvasion
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Physics
In summary: You don't need all of the other books that are listed, but you will want to get some of them. University Physics would include things like Kinetic and Aerodynamic Forces, Electricity and Magnetism, and Newton's Laws of Motion. Concepts like mass and weight are introduced in University Physics, and you'll also learn about classical mechanics, thermodynamics, and quantum mechanics. Once you have finished University Physics, you can move on to more specialized physics books, like Intermediate Physics, which covers topics like waves and sound, statistical physics, and modern physics. You'll also want to get a book called Concepts of Modern Physics, which is a more in-depth book that covers some
asianinvasion
I'm currently a freshman and I'm really interested in learning Physics.
I've never had any experience doing Physics, but I do know that math is involved and that's it.
I'm done with Trigonometry, Algebra 2, and Calculus so I hope that's enough for Physics.
Anyways, I've just got a lot of questions about what Physics is like and how Olympiads are like.
If any of you guys do Math you know how there's the AMC 10/12 and if you do well on that you go to AIME? And if you do well on the AIME you go to the USA(J)MO and maybe possibly the IMO?
Well I was wondering what is was like for Physics. I also need some good recommendations for books. Just list all of the books that I would need to possibly get into the IPhO(if possible). I did write a post about this before but I was still a little confused because some of the members said I only need Conceptual Physics and University Physics with Modern Physics to get into the IPhO.
Thank's for you help!

Physics news on Phys.org
asianinvasion said:
I'm currently a freshman and I'm really interested in learning Physics.
A freshman at high school?
"Physics is wonderful and rewarding to study - go for it!" says the physicist ;)

I've never had any experience doing Physics, but I do know that math is involved and that's it.
You want a background in math and general science - the general science stuff can be filled in as you go. A lot of the specific math will get filled in too ...

I'm done with Trigonometry, Algebra 2, and Calculus so I hope that's enough for Physics.
That should be plenty - many enter with less. It will depend on the teacher somewhat though. You will be well advised to continue with the math as well.

Anyways, I've just got a lot of questions about what Physics is like and how Olympiads are like.
You are interested in competative education? I'll leave those questions to those who know the specific situation.

I also need some good recommendations for books.
There is a whole section on PF about books - go look :)

I did write a post about this before but I was still a little confused because some of the members said I only need Conceptual Physics and University Physics with Modern Physics to get into the IPhO.
That sounds about right to me - but that's a minimum need, "want" is another matter and depends too much on you for anyone to be able to advise you properly.

Likes 1 person
Simon Bridge said:
A freshman at high school?
"Physics is wonderful and rewarding to study - go for it!" says the physicist ;)

You want a background in math and general science - the general science stuff can be filled in as you go. A lot of the specific math will get filled in too ...

That should be plenty - many enter with less. It will depend on the teacher somewhat though. You will be well advised to continue with the math as well.

You are interested in competative education? I'll leave those questions to those who know the specific situation.

There is a whole section on PF about books - go look :)

That sounds about right to me - but that's a minimum need, "want" is another matter and depends too much on you for anyone to be able to advise you properly.

Thanks for the response. It's helped me a lot and given me a rough starting point. I just have a few more questions. In math olympiad there's I guess a preliminary test (AMC 10/12) that anyone can take and they choose the highest scorers on those to take the next round test (AIME). Then they combine the scores of the AMC 10/12 and the AIME and they choose the kids to take the USAMO. And then from then on, they choose the IMO team.
How is the structure in the Physics Olympiad. Is it similar to this? So I guess I'm interested in competitive education/physics.
Another question is when I went to the PF section for the books, there was Intro Physics, Classical, Relativity, Quantum, Cosmology, Plasma, Astrophysics... Basically things I don't even know about. Could you just give me a brief summary of what this is.
Even though I go to this forum, I can't really find a good start-up book. So I guess Conceptual Physics and University Physics with Modern Physics alone (of course along with some other books along the way) would be sufficient for getting into the IPhO? Is this a good start-up book? Could you recommend me what I should start with and books I should look into afterwards and so on? Thanks so much for the advice.

Hi AsianInvasion. I answered a similar question once before, about learning physics in preparation for the IPhO. My answer then was that University Physics was available at an extremely cheap price, algebra-based books I could not find cheaply and so could not recommend any, and I said that you would get a better understanding learning from a calculus-based college book.

This time, I have found an algebra-based book available for not too much, https://www.amazon.com/dp/0471663158/?tag=pfamazon01-20. With this one, you wouldn't need to learn calculus first and of course calculus is not required for the IPhO problems. This could be the starting book you are looking for.

PS. I think https://www.amazon.com/dp/0471151831/?tag=pfamazon01-20 is the cheapest version available there.

Last edited by a moderator:

As a scientist, it is great to hear that you are interested in learning physics! It is a fascinating and ever-evolving field that has contributed greatly to our understanding of the world around us.

First of all, your background in math is definitely a good foundation for studying physics. Many concepts in physics are based on mathematical principles, so it is important to have a strong grasp of math. However, physics is not just about numbers and equations. It also involves critical thinking, problem-solving, and creativity.

Regarding Olympiads, they are competitions that test students' knowledge and skills in physics. Just like the AMC 10/12 and AIME for math, there are various levels of Olympiads for physics, such as the Physics Olympiad and the International Physics Olympiad (IPhO). These competitions can be a great way to challenge yourself and showcase your understanding of physics.

In terms of books, there are many great resources available for learning physics. Some popular ones include "Conceptual Physics" by Paul G. Hewitt, "University Physics with Modern Physics" by Hugh D. Young and Roger A. Freedman, and "Fundamentals of Physics" by David Halliday, Robert Resnick, and Jearl Walker. It is also a good idea to check with your school or local library for other recommended textbooks.

However, it is important to note that simply reading these books may not be enough to excel in Olympiads. It is also essential to practice solving problems and applying concepts to real-world situations. So, in addition to textbooks, I would recommend seeking out practice problems and participating in physics clubs or competitions to further enhance your understanding and skills.

In conclusion, physics is a fascinating subject that requires a combination of mathematical knowledge, critical thinking, and problem-solving skills. With dedication and practice, I am sure you will excel in your studies and possibly even in Olympiads. Best of luck on your learning journey!

1. What are the best books for beginners in physics?

There are many great books for beginners in physics, but some popular choices include "Concepts of Physics" by H.C. Verma, "Fundamentals of Physics" by David Halliday and Robert Resnick, and "University Physics" by Young and Freedman. It's best to choose a book that aligns with your learning style and covers the topics you are interested in.

2. Are there any recommended online resources for learning physics?

Yes, there are many online resources available for learning physics. Some popular options include Khan Academy, MIT OpenCourseWare, and Physics Classroom. These resources offer video lectures, practice problems, and interactive simulations to help you understand the concepts better.

3. What are physics Olympiads and how can I participate?

Physics Olympiads are international competitions for high school students to showcase their knowledge and problem-solving skills in physics. To participate, you can either represent your country in the International Physics Olympiad (IPhO) or participate in regional or national Olympiads. You can find more information about the selection process and eligibility on the official IPhO website.

4. How can I improve my problem-solving skills in physics?

The best way to improve your problem-solving skills in physics is by practicing regularly. Start with simple problems and gradually move on to more challenging ones. Pay attention to the steps and techniques used in solving problems and try to apply them to different scenarios. You can also join study groups or work with a tutor to get feedback and learn from others' approaches to problem-solving.

5. What are some common misconceptions about learning physics?

Some common misconceptions about learning physics include the belief that it is only for geniuses or that it is all about memorization. In reality, anyone can learn physics with dedication and practice. It is also essential to understand the underlying concepts rather than just memorizing formulas. Another misconception is that physics is only relevant for theoretical studies, but it has many practical applications in various fields such as engineering, medicine, and technology.