How long does it take to Forget a subject for exams?

• Thread starter cdux
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Exams
In summary, the conversation discusses the topic of retaining knowledge for exams and how long it takes to forget a subject. The speaker is interested in studying a subject deeply in order to have a better understanding and retain the knowledge for the exam. The conversation also touches on the idea of retaining knowledge weeks after studying and the process for effectively doing so. It is mentioned that the retention of knowledge may depend on various factors and differs for each individual.
cdux
How long does it take to "Forget" a subject for exams?

I'm interested in studying a subject for exams, completing the basic studies a few weeks before the actual exam day. If I study it "deeply", meaning I have an understanding of it that is beyond the surface and I actually understand the meaning of the underlying math, will I be able to hold that knowledge for exam day?

In general, do you think you can hold the knowledge for a subject you will be tested on - or you need to use it on your work - weeks after studying it? And if yes, what is the process that you should follow in order to do it properly?

Physics news on Phys.org
I think it depends on many factors and even on the individual itself. As far as I know there's no hard-rule that states you will forget things after x days. Have you had any experience with your own study habits?

1. How long does it take for me to forget a subject for exams?

The amount of time it takes to forget a subject for exams can vary greatly depending on several factors, such as the complexity of the subject, your ability to retain information, and how much time has passed since you last studied the material. However, on average, it is estimated that it takes about 1-2 weeks for information to start fading from our memory.

2. Can I speed up the process of forgetting a subject for exams?

Yes, there are certain techniques that can help speed up the process of forgetting a subject for exams. These include not reviewing the material frequently, not taking notes, or not practicing active recall. However, it is important to note that these methods are not recommended, as they can lead to poor performance on exams.

3. How can I prevent myself from forgetting a subject for exams?

The best way to prevent yourself from forgetting a subject for exams is to practice active recall and spaced repetition. This means regularly reviewing the material and actively engaging with it, rather than just passively reading or listening to it. You can also create study aids, such as flashcards or study guides, to help reinforce the material in your memory.

4. Is it possible to completely forget a subject for exams?

While it is possible to forget some information over time, it is unlikely that you will completely forget a subject for exams if you have thoroughly studied and understood the material. However, if you have only studied the material briefly or have not reviewed it in a long time, it is possible that you may forget important details or concepts.

5. Can cramming help me remember a subject for exams?

Cramming, or studying for a long period of time right before an exam, is not an effective way to remember a subject for exams. This method may help you temporarily memorize information, but it is not a sustainable or efficient way to retain information in the long term. It is important to spread out your studying over a longer period of time to truly understand and remember the material.