Confusion about Stoichiometric coefficients

In summary, the conversation is about the development of the "Equation of Reaction Equilibrium" and the confusion between the stoichiometric coefficients (v's) and the actual amounts present (n's). The v's represent the theoretical amounts needed for a balanced reaction, while the n's represent the actual amounts present. The distinction between the two is similar to the concept of extensive and intensive properties.
Saladsamurai
Hey folks! I am studying from a thermodynamics text (engineering thermo) and I am a little confused with the wording in the following development of the "Equation of Reaction Equilibrium":

Text said:
Consider a closed system containing 5 components A, B , C, D and E. We will assume tha E is inert and thus does not appear in the rxn:

[itex]v_AA +v_BB \leftrightharpoons v_CC + v_DD \qquad(1)[/itex]​

where the v's are the stoichiometric coefficients. Note that the stoichiometric coefficients [itex]v_A, v_B, v_C, v_D[/itex] do not correspond to the respective number of moles present. The amounts of components are designated [itex]n_A,n_B,n_C,n_D[/itex]. However the, changes in the amounts of components present do bear a relationship to the values of the stoichiometric coefficients. That is,

[tex]
-\frac{dn_A}{v_A}=-\frac{dn_B}{v_B}=\frac{dn_C}{v_C}=\frac{dn_D}{v_D}\qquad(2)
[/tex]​

I am a little confused as to the distinction between the n's and the v's. Is it saying that the n's are the actual amounts present whereas the v's are the theoretical amounts needed for a balanced reaction?Thanks!
~Casey

Chemistry news on Phys.org
Saladsamurai said:
Hey folks! I am studying from a thermodynamics text (engineering thermo) and I am a little confused with the wording in the following development of the "Equation of Reaction Equilibrium":

I am a little confused as to the distinction between the n's and the v's. Is it saying that the n's are the actual amounts present whereas the v's are the theoretical amounts needed for a balanced reaction?

Thanks!
~Casey

Stochiometric coefficients describe the relative rates of reaction for the different reactants and products, you could say.

Another way to look at it is that for every va moles of A participate in the reaction, vb moles of B will also participate, vc moles of C and vd moles of D will be produced.

Hope that clears things up.

I think you understand the text perfectly.
It is very like an extensive property vs and intensive property in this description.

1. What are stoichiometric coefficients?

Stoichiometric coefficients are numbers that represent the relative number of molecules or atoms of each reactant and product in a chemical reaction. They are used to balance chemical equations and show the exact proportions in which reactants combine to form products.

2. How do I determine the stoichiometric coefficients in a chemical equation?

To determine the stoichiometric coefficients in a chemical equation, you must first balance the equation by adjusting the coefficients of each reactant and product so that the number of atoms of each element is the same on both sides of the equation. This ensures that the law of conservation of mass is followed.

3. Can stoichiometric coefficients be fractions or decimals?

No, stoichiometric coefficients must be whole numbers. This is because they represent the number of molecules or atoms, which cannot be divided into fractions or decimals.

4. What happens if stoichiometric coefficients are not balanced?

If stoichiometric coefficients are not balanced, it means that the number of atoms of each element is not equal on both sides of the equation. This violates the law of conservation of mass and the equation is not a true representation of the reaction.

5. Why is it important to understand stoichiometric coefficients?

Understanding stoichiometric coefficients is important because they allow us to accurately predict the amount of products that will be formed in a chemical reaction and the amount of reactants needed. It also helps us to follow the law of conservation of mass and ensure that reactions are balanced.

Back