Things you can make with urine?

• Thread starter CosmicVoyager
  • Start date
In summary, one can make phosphorus, ammonia, and potassium nitrate from urine; leather can be made soft; jellyfish stings can be made to stop stinging; and urine can be used to make various other substances.
CosmicVoyager
Greetings,

So far, I have learned that one can make phosphorus, ammonia, and potassium nitrate from urine.

http://www.ehow.com/how_4524329_make-phosphorus.html

And of course it can be purified for water.

I am wondering what else can be made with urine instead of wasting it?

Thanks

Chemistry news on Phys.org
Leather can be made soft.
Jellyfish stings can be made to stop stinging.

I think I remember a thread here about urine and clorox will make a poisonous gas.

skeptic2 said:
I think I remember a thread here about urine and clorox will make a poisonous gas.
I once mixed a bit of clorox with a bit of vinegar. Nothing happened. I'm pretty certain it need to be a higher concentration than cooking vinegar. Likewise, I'll bet urine is far too weak to cause a reaction.

skeptic2 said:

I guess you mean chloramines, while Dave

DaveC426913 said:
I once mixed a bit of clorox with a bit of vinegar.

thinks about chlorine.

Nothing happened. I'm pretty certain it need to be a higher concentration than cooking vinegar. Likewise, I'll bet urine is far too weak to cause a reaction.

Low pH speeds up hypochlorites decomposition, no doubt about it. But it is completely unrelated to the possible reaction of free chlorine (present in the hypochlorite solution) with urea from urine.

Since this topic is about urine does anybody have any knowledge about male cat urine.Specificaly how to eliminate the smell from old urine deposits.I have a house that was previously occupied by 20 cats for over 3 years.As of late I have been searching for products that can eliminate the smell,there are multiple products out there that claim their special proprietary secret formula will do wonders I really don't trust them and they are expensive.I have heard not to use bleach because the ammonia will attract the cat back to where you have used it,but there are no cats here now.Have also heard hydrogen peroxide works and i have a 35% solution but haven't tried it...On another note I read that during ww1 when they first started using chlorine gas that if the guys in the trenchs urinated into a cloth and breathed through it that it neutralized the chlorine gas?...any advise would be greatly appreciated.

yellow snow

bernabee4 said:
yellow snow
:redface:
I've heard you can pee around the perimeter of your property, and dogs of a certain sex won't cross the line. So I guess you can make canine aromatic fences out of urine.

But I like your answer.

:smile:

1. Can urine be used to make fertilizer?

Yes, urine can be used as a natural fertilizer for plants. It contains nitrogen, phosphorus, and potassium which are essential nutrients for plant growth.

2. Is it safe to use urine for cooking or drinking?

No, it is not safe to use urine for cooking or drinking. Urine contains waste products and toxins that can be harmful if ingested.

3. Can urine be used as a disinfectant?

Yes, urine has been used as a disinfectant for centuries. The high concentration of urea in urine has antibacterial properties that can help kill germs and bacteria.

4. Can urine be used to make energy?

Yes, urine contains a significant amount of energy in the form of urea. This can be converted into electricity through a process called microbial fuel cell technology.

5. Can urine be used for artistic purposes?

Yes, urine has been used by artists for centuries as a medium for painting, dyeing fabric, and creating pigments. It has also been used to make pottery glazes and as a binding agent for sculptures.