Good book about Vector Calculus?

In summary, the conversation is about a student studying Vector Calculus and needing material to better understand Coordinate Transformation. The recommended book is too difficult and the student asks for alternative resources. A suggested book is "Div, Grad, Curl and all That" and the student expresses gratitude for the recommendation. The student also mentions needing help with finding a new basis, normalized basis, displacement, gradient, and volume in the new basis. Additional recommendations are requested.
cristina89
I'm studying Vector Calculus right now, and I'll have a test about Coordinate Transformation soon. But the book my teacher recommended (Mathematical Methods for Physicists - Arfken) is way too hard to understand this subject. Does anyone know any good material about this that I can find on internet?

Thank you.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
cristina89 said:
I'm studying Vector Calculus right now, and I'll have a test about Coordinate Transformation soon. But the book my teacher recommended (Mathematical Methods for Physicists - Arfken) is way too hard to understand this subject. Does anyone know any good material about this that I can find on internet?

Thank you.

Hey cristina89 and welcome to the forums.

For something more intuitive I would recommend the book "Div, Grad, Curl and all That". If you are at a university I think your library should have this book.

Div, grad, curl, and all that : an informal text on vector calculus / H.M. Schey
Published New York : W.W. Norton, c1992

Not sure if there are newer versions, but this one definitely exists.

chiro said:
Hey cristina89 and welcome to the forums.

For something more intuitive I would recommend the book "Div, Grad, Curl and all That". If you are at a university I think your library should have this book.

Div, grad, curl, and all that : an informal text on vector calculus / H.M. Schey
Published New York : W.W. Norton, c1992

Not sure if there are newer versions, but this one definitely exists.

Thank you so much! I'll try to find this book tomorrow.

I just need to have an idea of how, given a transformation, I find a new basis, a normalized basis, the displacement, gradient, the volume in the new basis... This kind of thing.

If anyone else knows any other book, please tell me, it would help me a lot (:

1. What is Vector Calculus?

Vector Calculus is a branch of mathematics that deals with the study of vector fields, which are mathematical objects that assign a vector to each point in space.

2. Why is Vector Calculus important?

Vector Calculus is important because it provides a powerful tool for solving problems in physics, engineering, and other fields that involve the use of vectors. It also helps in understanding and visualizing complex mathematical concepts.

3. What are some practical applications of Vector Calculus?

Some practical applications of Vector Calculus include fluid mechanics, electromagnetics, computer graphics, and optimization problems in economics and finance.

4. What are the basic concepts in Vector Calculus?

The basic concepts in Vector Calculus include vector operations (such as addition, subtraction, and scalar multiplication), vector fields, line integrals, surface integrals, and gradient, divergence, and curl operations.

5. What is a good book to learn Vector Calculus?

Some recommended books for learning Vector Calculus include "Vector Calculus" by Susan Jane Colley, "Calculus, Volume 2: Multi-Variable Calculus and Linear Algebra with Applications" by Tom Apostol, and "Vector Calculus" by Jerrold E. Marsden and Anthony J. Tromba.