Register to reply

Fiber optics

by eahaidar
Tags: fiber, optics
Share this thread:
eahaidar
Apr17-14, 04:21 AM
P: 58
Hello everyone I need to ask in a Hand Held Fiber Optic Microscope what should I see when the fiber is considered burnt or distorted ??
Phys.Org News Partner Physics news on Phys.org
Optimum inertial self-propulsion design for snowman-like nanorobot
The Quantum Cheshire Cat: Can neutrons be located at a different place than their own spin?
A transistor-like amplifier for single photons
sophiecentaur
Apr17-14, 05:43 AM
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
P: 11,941
This is a bit of an open question but, if one fibre were damaged, I'd expect you to get a missing pixel on the final image. Damage to a fibre will tend to result in light loss through the surface of the damaged section.
eahaidar
Apr17-14, 05:44 AM
Quote Quote by sophiecentaur View Post
This is a bit of an open question but, if one fibre were damaged, I'd expect you to get a missing pixel on the final image. Damage to a fibre will tend to result in light loss through the surface of the damaged section.

Thank you for the reply but like what exactly would I see would is see scratches or like a black spot or what exactly?

sophiecentaur
Apr17-14, 05:51 AM
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
Fiber optics

I can't say "exactly" because you haven't said what the exact damage is. All I can say is that your fibre optic must be a coherent array - i.e. the position of each fibre must be the same, relative to the others, at the start and the end of the bunch, transferring the image, pixel by pixel. So the pattern of damage to the fibres will turn up as an equivalent pattern of missing pixels on the final image. Each damaged fibre would probably give a dark pixel and should not interfere with the others. It is unlikely that the image would be distorted unless the sensing end of the array is damaged in some way.
eahaidar
Apr17-14, 05:52 AM
I can't say "exactly" because you haven't said what the exact damage is. All I can say is that your fibre optic must be a coherent array - i.e. the position of each fibre must be the same, relative to the others, at the start and the end of the bunch, transferring the image, pixel by pixel. So the pattern of damage to the fibres will turn up as an equivalent pattern of missing pixels on the final image. Each damaged fibre would probably give a dark pixel and should not interfere with the others. It is unlikely that the image would be distorted unless the sensing end of the array is damaged in some way.

Okay I didn't be clear using Hand Held Fiber Optic Microscope what would you see normally if the fibre works just fine?
sophiecentaur
Apr17-14, 05:54 AM
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
Quote Quote by eahaidar View Post
Okay I didn't be clear using Hand Held Fiber Optic Microscope what would you see normally?
How can I tell, if you don't describe the damage?
eahaidar
Apr17-14, 05:56 AM
How can I tell, if you don't describe the damage?

Usually the damage is when high power is used causing burnt or scratch on the fiber that is what I know if not I would like to know what happens
sophiecentaur
Apr17-14, 05:57 AM
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
You will have to be more specific. If you have a problem with language then a diagram may help.
eahaidar
Apr17-14, 05:59 AM
You will have to be more specific. If you have a problem with language then a diagram may help.

My question is what do you see inside the fiber when using a Hand Held Fiber Optic Microscope if the fiber is not damaged corrupted ? That is the question
sophiecentaur
Apr17-14, 06:43 AM
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
Hello everyone I need to ask in a Hand Held Fiber Optic Microscope what should I see when the fiber is considered burnt or distorted ??
My question is what do you see inside the fiber when using a Hand Held Fiber Optic Microscope if the fiber is not damaged corrupted ? That is the question
Which answer do you want? These are two different questions.
UltrafastPED
Apr17-14, 06:44 AM
Sci Advisor
Thanks
PF Gold
P: 1,908
Okay I didn't be clear using Hand Held Fiber Optic Microscope what would you see normally if the fibre works just fine?
You should contact the vendor; or check with their documentation.

It's impossible to guess without (a) knowing the design, and (b) knowing what kinds of abuse the were applied to the system.

Register to reply