What are the properties of Polychlorinated Biphenyl (PCB)?

In summary, this question may really sound not smart, but can someone find the property of Polycholrinated Biphenyl for me?
devilkidjin
um, this question may really sound not smart

but can someone find the property of Polycholrinated Biphenyl for me?

i tried chemfinder but i don't get the results of that specific compound
so if you can find a link, that will be much appreciated

Physics news on Phys.org
What specific properties are you interested in? Chemical, biological, toxiological, etc...? These are very well-studied compounds (I did my PhD in toxicology on them) so there is a lot of information out there. Somtimes this makes it difficult to find exactly what you are looking for.
There is a great book on PCBs written by Mitchell Erickson called "http://books.google.com/print?id=xudEF_ZYQ3kC&dq=erickson+analytical+chemistry+of+pcb&oi=print&pg=PA1&sig=ebqyFEoO0SALI5iIDo2zIu3yn4U&prev=http://www.google.com/search%3Fhl%3Den%26lr%3D%26q%3Derickson%2Banalytical%2Bchemistry%2Bof%2Bpcb%26btnG%3DSearch" " It has some great information on regulatory issues regarding these chemicals as well as chemistry and biology-related info. If you can't find this book, or get your library to borrow a copy from another institution, let me know and I can probably point you in the right direction to find the specifics you are interested in.

Last edited by a moderator:
i don't see the book in my library and need it quick for study
i am looking for the chemical properties, for Chemistry class

This is the http://www.atsdr.cdc.gov/toxprofiles/tp17.html" from ATSDR (Agency for Toxic Substances and Disease Registry). If you scroll down you will see a section of physical and chemical properties (Section #4). Download the .pdf and you're in business. I think most of the relevant chemistry of PCBs is there, plus there is some more general information in the other sectoins that might be helpful. If you need more or don't understand something you come across, let us know.

Last edited by a moderator:
thank you docotoxyn
i been there but i guess i was blind :rofl:

1. What is the purpose of a PCB?

A PCB, or printed circuit board, is used to mechanically support and electrically connect electronic components. It provides a platform for the components to be mounted and connected together to form a functioning electronic circuit.

2. What are the different types of PCBs?

There are several types of PCBs, including single-sided, double-sided, and multi-layer PCBs. Single-sided PCBs have components and traces on only one side of the board, while double-sided PCBs have components and traces on both sides. Multi-layer PCBs have multiple layers of conductive material and are used for complex circuits.

3. What are the properties of a PCB?

The properties of a PCB include its material, thickness, copper weight, trace width and spacing, hole size, and surface finish. These properties can affect the performance, reliability, and cost of the PCB.

4. How do you choose the right PCB material?

The choice of PCB material depends on the specific application and requirements of the circuit. Common materials include FR4, which is a type of epoxy resin, and flexible materials such as polyimide. Factors to consider when choosing a material include electrical properties, thermal properties, and cost.

5. How do you ensure the quality of a PCB?

There are several steps to ensure the quality of a PCB, including rigorous testing and inspection during the manufacturing process. The design should also be thoroughly reviewed and verified for accuracy. Using high-quality materials and following industry standards can also contribute to the overall quality of a PCB.