Cool Projects with Old Laptop Monitor

In summary, the speaker recently salvaged a monitor from an old laptop but is unsure how to repurpose it into a useful desktop monitor. They are seeking suggestions for other cool projects or ideas to use the salvaged monitor for, and mention that creating a dynamic picture to hang on the wall would require a special controller card that can be expensive. They have researched this for years and have found it more cost-effective to purchase a new LCD monitor for their needs.
Shawnzyoo
Well I recently just tore apart an old laptop and salvaged the monitor (still good)
Now I am pretty sure it is nearly impossible (for me right now) to turn it into a useful desktop monitor
but does anyone know of any other cool projects/ideas to do with it?
thanks

Engineering news on Phys.org
I'm sure this would require a little work (a lot) but a dynamic picture that you'd hang on the wall would be neat.

Ive looked into this for years. You need a special controller card = $$$ that will work with the exact model of lcd. In every instance i could think of its vastly cheaper to but a lcd monitor and rip it apart for your needs.

Last edited by a moderator:

What are some cool projects I can do with an old laptop monitor?

There are many creative projects you can do with an old laptop monitor. Some popular options include turning it into a digital picture frame, using it as a second monitor for your desktop computer, or creating a DIY smart mirror.

Do I need any special tools or skills to repurpose an old laptop monitor?

Depending on the project, you may need some basic tools such as a screwdriver, wire cutters, and a soldering iron. As for skills, some projects may require basic knowledge of electronics and coding, but there are also simpler projects that anyone can do.

Can I repurpose a broken laptop monitor?

Yes, you can still repurpose a broken laptop monitor as long as the screen is still intact. The issue may lie in the backlight or internal components, which can be bypassed or replaced for certain projects.

Is it safe to take apart a laptop monitor?

Taking apart any electronic device can be dangerous if you are not careful. It is important to properly disconnect all power sources and handle any components with caution. If you are unsure, it is best to consult a professional or follow a detailed guide.

Are there any environmental benefits to repurposing old laptop monitors?

Yes, repurposing old laptop monitors can help reduce electronic waste and contribute to a more sustainable lifestyle. It also saves resources and energy that would have been used to create a new product.