Another prime example of not having enough

In summary: George Carlin was a master at pointing out the absurdities of modern life.In summary, the conversation touches on the never-ending cycle of needing more space for desks, the humorous inaccuracies of computers in movies, and the comical idea of a magical database that can find any information. The conversation also mentions the brilliance of Splinter Cell and the wisdom of George Carlin.
Pengwuino
Gold Member
Everytime i get a new desk, it's because my old one didn't have enough space. After a while, the new desk ends up not having enough spaces and i go even bigger. Soon i'll have a desk 30 feet long and will still find a way to use up all that space. Sheesh!

Oh and even though it deserves its own thread just like this topic, doesn't anyone find it funny that computers are shown so inaccurately in movies. I'm sick of watching someone in a movie stop a generator by running up to a computer and typing in "Stop generator 3" into some already-up command prompt type of thing or typing in "Set clock to go off in 30 seconds" and hitting enter. Sheesh.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I remember a great line from Splinter Cell: Pandora Tomorrow.

Two terrorrists were at a computer in the genetics facility:

Terrorist 1: have you found the files yet?
Terrorist 2: I can't even fin a single directory, they have their entire system on a command line OS!

UNIX, stopping terrorism one computer-illiterate person at a time.

Well, I thought it was hilarious.

Pengwuino said:
Everytime i get a new desk, it's because my old one didn't have enough space. After a while, the new desk ends up not having enough spaces and i go even bigger. Soon i'll have a desk 30 feet long and will still find a way to use up all that space. Sheesh!
Well there is a thing called a floor. They are very useful. :rofl:

Or try bookshelves. :biggrin:

Astronuc said:
Well there is a thing called a floor. They are very useful. :rofl:

Or try bookshelves. :biggrin:

My floor has enough crap on it as well.

I think i need to get like a storage area with like, 20 little boxes taht i can put in this area in this room. The area is like 3x5x2. If my grandfather was still capable of handling a shop, he'd probably build something overnight just for this purpose. Maybe i should build one! Real wood, none of this damn laminated sheet backings and particle board structure crap.

Pengwuino said:
My floor has enough crap on it as well.

I think i need to get like a storage area with like, 20 little boxes taht i can put in this area in this room. The area is like 3x5x2. If my grandfather was still capable of handling a shop, he'd probably build something overnight just for this purpose. Maybe i should build one! Real wood, none of this damn laminated sheet backings and particle board structure crap.
And you only starting college! Just wait.

Down the road, you will need to invest in a garage - two car at least. Then you'll need a place for the car as well. :rofl:

Astronuc said:
And you only starting college! Just wait.

Down the road, you will need to invest in a garage - two car at least. Then you'll need a place for the car as well. :rofl:

If i get a good job, more like 5. 2 for physics related things, 1 for chemistry related crap, 1 for r/c airplanes, 1 for just crap laying around my house. I dabble into too many things. One day ill end up mixing everything up and I'll end up making an airplane with laser guided bombs.

My current desk at home is my old kitchen table...it's finally big enough for me. I pulled off some trim on one side, and attached a sliding shelf underneath it as a keyboard tray, and just love it!

franznietzsche said:
I remember a great line from Splinter Cell: Pandora Tomorrow.

Two terrorrists were at a computer in the genetics facility:

Terrorist 1: have you found the files yet?
Terrorist 2: I can't even fin a single directory, they have their entire system on a command line OS!

UNIX, stopping terrorism one computer-illiterate person at a time.

Well, I thought it was hilarious.
At least I'm not the only one who knows the greatness that is Splinter Cell. It was a good line, in my opinion.

Pengwuino said:
Everytime i get a new desk, it's because my old one didn't have enough space. After a while, the new desk ends up not having enough spaces and i go even bigger. Soon i'll have a desk 30 feet long and will still find a way to use up all that space.
Have you ever listened to George Carlin's stand up when he's talking about a place to store all of "your stuff"? Very appropro.

Pengwuino said:
Oh and even though it deserves its own thread just like this topic, doesn't anyone find it funny that computers are shown so inaccurately in movies. I'm sick of watching someone in a movie stop a generator by running up to a computer and typing in "Stop generator 3" into some already-up command prompt type of thing or typing in "Set clock to go off in 30 seconds" and hitting enter. Sheesh.
Yes. I love shows like CSI that have these magic databases that can pull up information on anything. Let's find every house within a 500 mile radius that has more than one toaster...Oh yeah, the database would also immediately bring up where they were bought and who paid for them. All in one easy step.

FredGarvin said:
Yes. I love shows like CSI that have these magic databases that can pull up information on anything. Let's find every house within a 500 mile radius that has more than one toaster...Oh yeah, the database would also immediately bring up where they were bought and who paid for them. All in one easy step.

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: Yah what next? "c:\request search warrant for jessica smith"

What the heck do you need a desk for? I do my work on the couch or bed. Generally, I don't write, but if I require a hard surface, that's what a clipboard is for.

Have you ever listened to George Carlin's stand up when he's talking about a place to store all of "your stuff"? Very appropro.

:rofl: yep.

What is the meaning of "Another prime example of not having enough"?

"Another prime example of not having enough" refers to a situation or scenario where there is a lack or insufficiency of something, and it serves as yet another clear and significant example of this issue.

What are some common examples of not having enough?

Common examples of not having enough can include resources such as money, time, food, or materials for a specific task or project. It can also refer to intangible things like support, opportunities, or emotional fulfillment.

Why is it important to address the issue of not having enough?

Addressing the issue of not having enough is crucial because it can lead to various negative consequences, such as hindering progress, causing stress and frustration, and limiting potential growth and success. It is essential to find ways to overcome or improve the situation to achieve desired outcomes.

How can we prevent not having enough from happening?

Preventing not having enough can involve different strategies depending on the specific situation. Some ways to prevent this issue can include proper planning and budgeting, seeking help or support from others, prioritizing needs and wants, and continuously evaluating and adjusting one's actions and decisions.

What can we do if we are currently facing not having enough?

If you are currently facing a situation of not having enough, it is essential to identify the root cause of the issue and find potential solutions. This can involve seeking advice or assistance from others, being resourceful and creative, and being open to making necessary changes or sacrifices. Remember to also take care of yourself and seek support from loved ones during this challenging time.