Can Watching Comets on THC Reveal Hidden Connections in History?

• Thread starter Ivan Seeking
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Comets
In summary, the conversation revolved around strange connections and coincidences, such as the belief of the Heaven's Gate cult that they would be recycled by a mother ship, which reminded one person of the book "Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy". The conversation also touched on the show "Connections" which explores the connections between seemingly unrelated innovations and scientific knowledge.
Ivan Seeking
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
A thread for strange connections or coincidences.

I was watching Comets on THC, and it came to my attention that the Heaven's Gate cult - all of whom committed suicide - believed that the Earth was going to be recycled by the mother ship.

Is is just me or does this smack of "intergalactic highway"?

Physics news on Phys.org
Ivan Seeking said:
I was watching Comets on THC,...
I don't think you should be doing astronomical observations on drugs.

zoobyshoe said:
I don't think you should be doing astronomical observations on drugs.

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Alright now Zooby you should be great at this. Did you ever watch the show, Connections?

I never did, no. I think that was on during this one ten year stretch when I didn't watch television at all.

It was pretty interesting. In each show, James Burke traces the connections between seemingly unrelated innovations and scientific knowledge. For example,

... “How the popularity of underwear in the 12th century led to the invention of the printing press” or “How the arrival of the cannon led to the development of movies.” ...
http://www.roycecarlton.com/speakers/burke.html

Edit: For those who don't know, the "intergalactic highway" reference comes from the book "Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy". The reference to recycling the Earth - the basis for a mass suicided - made me wonder as it almost sounds like something from the book.

Last edited:

1. What is THC and how does it affect comet watching?

THC stands for Tetrahydrocannabinol, which is the main psychoactive component in cannabis. When consumed, THC can alter the user's perception and mood, potentially enhancing the experience of watching comets. However, it is important to note that individuals may have different reactions to THC and it is always important to use it responsibly.

2. Can watching comets on THC affect the accuracy of scientific observations?

Yes, it is possible that consuming THC while observing comets may affect the accuracy of scientific observations. THC can alter perception and may lead to misinterpretations or inaccuracies in data collection. It is best to avoid consuming THC while conducting scientific observations.

3. Are there any potential risks or dangers associated with watching comets on THC?

While there are no known risks or dangers specifically related to watching comets on THC, it is important to use caution and moderation when consuming any substances. Additionally, THC may impair coordination and decision-making, so it is not recommended to engage in activities that require full attention while under its influence.

4. Are there any potential benefits to watching comets on THC?

Some individuals may find that consuming THC enhances their experience of watching comets. It may also help to relax and calm the mind, allowing for a more peaceful and enjoyable viewing experience. However, this is subjective and may vary from person to person.

5. How can scientists control for the use of THC when conducting comet observations?

Scientists can control for the use of THC by ensuring that all participants in the observation are not under the influence of any substances. They can also establish strict protocols and guidelines for data collection to ensure accuracy and consistency. Additionally, conducting multiple observations with different groups may help to identify any potential effects of THC on observations.