Do you have Asperger's Syndrome Test

• Thread starter Evo
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Test
In summary: PIn summary, this conversation is about a test that measures the extent of autistic traits in adults, called the Autism-Spectrum Quotient or AQ. The average score in the control group was 16.4, with 80% of those diagnosed with autism or a related disorder scoring 32 or higher. The test is not a means for making a diagnosis, and many who score above 32 report no difficulty functioning in their everyday lives. Some participants in the conversation scored above 32, while others scored below. There is speculation that famous scientists like Newton and Einstein may have had Asperger's, and the conversation also touches on other mental disorders such as ADD and OCD.
Evo
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Zooby is always talking about Asperger's, so I am posting this test in his honor. :smile:

http://www.okcupid.com/tests/take?testid=1982215450153908026 [Broken]

My score:

UnaffectedResult: 22.

Your score isn't an achievement, it just is.
Psychologist Simon Baron-Cohen and his colleagues at Cambridge's Autism Research Centre have created the Autism-Spectrum Quotient, or AQ, as a measure of the extent of autistic traits in adults. In the first major trial using the test, the average score in the control group was 16.4. Eighty percent of those diagnosed with autism or a related disorder scored 32 or higher. The test is not a means for making a diagnosis, however, and many who score above 32 and even meet the diagnostic criteria for mild autism or Asperger's report no difficulty functioning in their everyday lives. You scored less than 32. Make your own assessment of that

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Unaffected
Result: 28. Your score isn't an achievement, it just is.
The rest is the same.

It also said that I scored higher than 62% on points (in my age group, which is 19)

I don't know if that's too much considering the control group had only 16.4.
About two years ago I think I would have scored much less though.

Evo said:
Zooby is always talking about Asperger's, so I am posting this test in his honor. :smile:
I'm not sure "always" comes close to being accurate: I started one thread about it. "Always" applies more closely, if we're using the term "always" to mean "frequently", to my interest in simple partial seizures.

Aspergers is fascinating and I was especially interested in this piece:

http://www.tonyattwood.com.au/index.htm [Broken]

which a woman who believed she had Asperger's alerted me to a couple years ago. She later wrote to Tony Atwood telling her story and received an e-mail back saying he thought there was a very good chance she had the syndrome and would probably receive this diagnosis from any well versed psychiatrist (which is a rare thing to find). She thought it fit her like a glove and explained a slew of things about her that had merely confused her shrinks for years.

The linked article explains how girls with Aspergers develop very differently than boys. It doesn't cause the same problems for girls and girls are more adept at finding ways of adjusting without bringing inordinate attention to themselves. They don't stand out the way boys with Aspergers do.

I scored 32, but some of the questions are hard to decide. i will have to reconsider.

Last edited:
I got a 20.

I scored higher than 28% with respect to my age and gender.

wolram said:
I scored 32, but some of the questions are hard to decide. i will have to reconsider.
Uh oh! :bugeye:

Well it is a stupid test some of the questions can be ansewered either way.
:grumpy:

Result: 29. Your score isn't an achievement, it just is.
Psychologist Simon Baron-Cohen and his colleagues at Cambridge's Autism Research Centre have created the Autism-Spectrum Quotient, or AQ, as a measure of the extent of autistic traits in adults. In the first major trial using the test, the average score in the control group was 16.4. Eighty percent of those diagnosed with autism or a related disorder scored 32 or higher. The test is not a means for making a diagnosis, however, and many who score above 32 and even meet the diagnostic criteria for mild autism or Asperger's report no difficulty functioning in their everyday lives. You scored less than 32. Make your own assessment of that

It doesn't mean anything.

Unaffected
Result: 24. Your score isn't an achievement, it just is.

31 wonder what that means

Result: 17, unaffected. I guess that makes me normal :wink:

Looking at wikipedia, it is speculated that Newton and Einstein had Asperger's, so don't feel bad wolram :smile:

mattmns said:
Looking at wikipedia, it is speculated that Newton and Einstein had Asperger's, so don't feel bad wolram :smile:

I do not feel bad, the test is just ambiguous, i am sure no doctor would take
it seriously.

It seems to be a test more of whether you prefer social or non social settings. And depending on my mood, I could answer either way.

I got a 31.

:cry: I'm below average! :cry:
Unaffected
Result: 9. Your score isn't an achievement, it just is.

:rofl:

what does it mean if you ran out of patience and couldn't finish the test? ADD?

Math Is Hard said:

It means you are a level headed sensible gorgeous person. but a teensy weensy bit more patience would be a bonus.

Last edited:
I found it hard to be truthful on this test. I know I got some kind of social problem. I think I have Oppositional Defiant Disorder and obsessive compulsive disorder, which has lead me to answer some questions untruthfully because of envy.

I only speak or engage in conversation when someone starts it. I don't think I've ever started a conversation with someone. Generally I Speak when Spoken too, other then that keep my mouth ****ing shut.

Math Is Hard said:
It's funny you should ask that quetion. One book I read about Asperger's maintained that it is nearly always paired with another disorder and if you have merely been diagnosed with Asperger's the diagnosis isn't complete. It frequently shows up along with ADD, OCD, seizures, and some others I can't recall off the top of my head.

-scott

wolram said:
It means you are a level headed sensible gorgeous person. but a teensy weensy bit more patience would be a bonus.
I like the Wolly diagnosis. :approve: I will try to be more patient, but that has never been my strength.

Math Is Hard said:
I like the Wolly diagnosis. :approve:
Yes, but since you admitted to me that your recent brain scan showed clear weird, purple jellyfish shaped infiltrations at many locations, I don't think the Wolly diagnosis tells the whole story.

19 - it's my job to like numbers tho':biggrin: o:)

That test isn't much good i have Asperger's Syndrome and i got 22 :tongue:

21 Unaffected (So what do I have then?) Higher than 14% on points.

My son is on the autistic spectrum. I often compare his behavior to my own either when I was his age, or as I am now. I am not comfortable in social situations, but that is not the same thing as being inept in them.

Result: 13 You scored higher than 7% on points

hmmmm not sure how to think about this score

I think the onus is on the person who sowed the seed for this test to find
a better one :tongue2:

rho said:
That test isn't much good i have Asperger's Syndrome and i got 22 :tongue:
That settles it then. We can flush all the OK Cupid tests.

wolram said:
Tony Atwood sells a DVD that comes closest:

http://www.tonyattwood.com.au/

Asperger's Diagnostic Assessment

This new DVD was released in October 2004 and includes a detailed description of the diagnostic assessment for children and adults who may have signs of Asperger’s syndrome. The DVD also includes a recording of an actual diagnostic assessment of a child and the explanation of the diagnosis to his parents. The DVD also includes information on girls with Asperger’s syndrome, the different ways a child psychologically adjusts to having Asperger’s syndrome and how to explain the diagnosis to the child. There is also information on the diagnostic assessment of adults.

The DVD is now available in Australia from Book in Hand at www.bookinhand.com.au[/url] or [url]www.FutureHorizons-autism.com[/URL] for other countries.[/QUOTE]

wolram said:
I'm trying to find some that are PG rated. There are some great tests, but not suitable for PF. :blushing:

I got a 20

heh. I've been told that I've got this aspergers autism.

But on this question.

7. Other people frequently tell me that what I've said is impolite, even though I think it is polite.
Definitely agree
Slightly agree
Slightly disagree
Definitely disagree

I do have people saying that i say things that are impolite. but i do them to BE impolite and i know they are impolite. Like one of my pet peeves are the anti-freedom of speech language anti-swearing police. You say fuuck and they get all offended. So to be impolite i give them a nice speech about how i have freedom of speech and how I am simply feel that using fuuck articulates my feelings the best i can. while using as mant swear words as possible. Honestly its not their job to be against my rights as a Canadian. they are being impolite to me by wanting to destroy my individuality.

40. When I was young, I used to enjoy playing games involving pretending with other children.
Definitely agree
Slightly agree
Slightly disagree
Definitely disagree

I don't know what that even means. Lol. I am hoping this means like playing cops and robbers or something.

Unaffected
Result: 9. Your score isn't an achievement, it just is.

man I am far from aspergers. oh well. :rofl:

I got a 23. The objections about the test, such as "Questions can be answered several ways" show unfamiliarity with genuine psychological testing. They want to force you to make a choice, where you are aware of different impulses in yourself. Also notice that some questions were repeated in different words; this gives them yet more insight into your inner thinking.

selfAdjoint said:
Also notice that some questions were repeated in different words; this gives them yet more insight into your inner thinking.
Yes, some of those seemed to be refining different aspects of some personality traits. That strategy of putting several similar questions on a survey type test also helps test for internal consistency in your answers (though, I don't think that was very prevalent in this one, unless I was fooled too). So, if someone was just picking choices without reading, or misunderstood a question, the second similar question would help flag the responses as inconsistent. Of course, that's only if you were taking this as a real test in a real study where actual psychologists were scoring it, not just something posted online.

The only difficulty I had was one question where I really neither agreed nor disagreed. I can't recall what that question was, but when I read it, it was more "gee, I never even thought about that...ever" so couldn't really determine if I agreed or disagreed with it. But, I kind of figured that those slightly agree and slightly disagree responses weren't the ones to make or break the score, and it was probably the strongly agree or strongly disagree responses that would really tip the scales.

There were some where I kind of wanted something in between slightly and strongly, but then I just had to decide which was closer. And, then, I figured, if I had to really think about it, it probably wasn't strong agreement or disagreement.

selfAdjoint said:
I got a 23. The objections about the test, such as "Questions can be answered several ways" show unfamiliarity with genuine psychological testing. They want to force you to make a choice, where you are aware of different impulses in yourself. Also notice that some questions were repeated in different words; this gives them yet more insight into your inner thinking.
I don't follow this. How does forcing you to make a choice between two inappropriate responses give them any insight?