What Is the Meaning of "(f(x+h)-f(x))/h to ( f(x+h)/f(x) )^(1/h)

• Thread starter JoAuSc
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Limit
In summary, the conversation discussed the concept of a limit and the possibility of using different expressions to represent it. The speaker also shared some calculations they did on their graphing calculator and wondered if this limit had any significance beyond being interesting. They also mentioned trying to find a limit that measures the ratio of a function's increase over a small distance. Later, they discovered that this limit could be represented as e^(d/dx ln(f(x))), which reminded them of something about normal subgroups. The other speaker added that this could be seen as conjugating differentiation by the log operation, potentially making repeated differentiation of certain functions easier.
JoAuSc
I was looking at the definition for a limit when I was wondering what would happen if you changed this

(f(x+h)-f(x))/h

to this

( f(x+h)/f(x) )^(1/h)

with h going to zero in both cases. I did a few calculations with the second limit on my graphing calculator and got this:

function limit
f(x) = x e^(1/x)
f(x) = x^3 e^(3/x)
f(x) = sin(x) e^(1/tax(x))

Does this limit have any kind of importance beyond just being an interesting limit? I was trying to come up with a limit which would measure the ratio a function increases by over a small distance rather than the difference (as for the derivative).

Physics news on Phys.org
Try taking the log of it.

StatusX said:
Try taking the log of it.
Thanks for the help.

After I posted last night I continued studying the limit and eventually realized that limit when applied to a function was equal to e^(d/dx ln(f(x))), which I thought was interesting because rather than Df we have L^-1 D L f, where D is d/dx, L is ln(x), and f is the function. It reminds me of something I read about normal subgroups, though I don't think that'd apply here.

Well, you are effectively conjugating differentiation by the log operation. One application would be that applying this operator repeatedly, the inner logs and exps cancel and you are left with something like (LDL-1)n = L Dn L-1. I don't know if this is useful, but maybe by picking the right operator/function L, you can do repeated differentiation of some functions more easily this way.

What does the expression (f(x+h)-f(x))/h to ( f(x+h)/f(x) )^(1/h) mean?

The expression (f(x+h)-f(x))/h to ( f(x+h)/f(x) )^(1/h) is a mathematical notation used to represent the derivative of a function f(x) at a point x. It is also known as the derivative quotient or the difference quotient.

How is (f(x+h)-f(x))/h to ( f(x+h)/f(x) )^(1/h) used in calculus?

In calculus, the expression (f(x+h)-f(x))/h to ( f(x+h)/f(x) )^(1/h) is used to find the slope of a curve at a particular point. It allows us to calculate the instantaneous rate of change of a function at a given point x.

What is the significance of the h in (f(x+h)-f(x))/h to ( f(x+h)/f(x) )^(1/h)?

The h in (f(x+h)-f(x))/h to ( f(x+h)/f(x) )^(1/h) represents the change in the input value of the function. It is a small and infinitesimal change, which helps us to approximate the slope at a specific point on the curve.

What is the relation between (f(x+h)-f(x))/h and ( f(x+h)/f(x) )^(1/h)?

The expressions (f(x+h)-f(x))/h and ( f(x+h)/f(x) )^(1/h) are equivalent and represent the same concept. They both represent the slope of a curve at a particular point, but (f(x+h)-f(x))/h is the traditional notation used, while ( f(x+h)/f(x) )^(1/h) is a more modern notation.

How is the expression (f(x+h)-f(x))/h to ( f(x+h)/f(x) )^(1/h) related to the concept of limits?

The expression (f(x+h)-f(x))/h to ( f(x+h)/f(x) )^(1/h) is closely related to the concept of limits in calculus. It is used to define the derivative of a function, which is the limit of (f(x+h)-f(x))/h as h approaches 0. This limit represents the instantaneous rate of change of the function at a point x.