How can I calculate the eigenvalues of a Hamiltonian with spin 1/2 objects?

In summary, the eigenvalues of the hamiltonian H=a(S_A \cdot S_B+S_B \cdot S_C+S_C \cdot S_D+S_D \cdot S_A) can be found by rewriting it in terms of S_A, S_B, S_C, and S_D as spin 1/2 objects and defining J_1, J_2, and J_3 as combinations of these objects. Using the formula J^2_i |j_1j_2j_3;m_1m_2m_3> = (h^2) j_i(j_i+1)|j_1j_2j_3;m_1m_2m_3>, the energies can be
JohanL
Find the eigenvalues of the hamiltonian

[tex]
H=a(S_A \cdot S_B+S_B \cdot S_C+S_C \cdot S_D+S_D \cdot S_A)
[/tex]

where S_A, S_B, S_C, S_D are spin 1/2 objects

I rewrite it as

[tex]
H=(1/2)*a*[(S_A+S_B+S_C+S_D)^2-(S_A+S_C)^2-(S_B+S_D)^2]
[/tex]

then i define

[tex]
J_1=S_A+S_B+S_C+S_D
[/tex]

[tex]
J_2=S_A+S_C
[/tex]

[tex]
J_3=S_B+S_D
[/tex]

and uses

[tex]
J^2_i |j_1j_2j_3;m_1m_2m_3> = (h^2) j_i(j_i+1)|j_1j_2j_3;m_1m_2m_3>
[/tex]

which gives the energies

[tex]
E(j_1,j_2,j_3)=(h^2/2)*a*[j_1(j_1+1)-j_2(j_2+1)-j_3(j_3+1)]
[/tex]

Where j_1 is addition of four angular momentum of 1/2 which gives it values of 0 1, 2 and in the same way j_2 and j_3 have values of 0 1.

Am i doing this the right way? It doesn't feel so :smile:

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
From the structure of your hamiltonian it almost looks like you could adapt transfer matrix methods, unless your spin things are vectors (I'm not clear on that). I would also say that there are restrictions on [tex]j_2[/tex] and [tex]j_3[/tex] based on [tex]j_1[/tex], but the thought process seems right.

Your method is completely correct. Just include the a.
Did it just seem too easy?

Meir Achuz said:
Your method is completely correct. Just include the a.
Did it just seem too easy?

Thank you. Yes it seemed too easy :smile:

How about the degeneracy of the energy levels.
For example E(010)=E(001)=E(111) and then m_1 can take on 9 different values , m_2 and m_3 5 different values. So the degeneracy of this level is 3*9*5*5 ? Is it correct so far?

But then the j_i in turn are addtions of angular momentums.
Does this add even more to the degeneracy?

I would count the degeneracy of each estate as the product of 2j+1 for each sub j. So I think it is 3+3+27 for your example. You shouldn't just count the m's because they are correlated to give the j estates.

1. What is a Hamiltonian eigenvalue?

A Hamiltonian eigenvalue is a term used in physics and mathematics to refer to the possible values that can be obtained from the Hamiltonian operator, which is a mathematical representation of a physical system. These values represent the energy levels of the system and are typically used to solve equations of motion and determine the behavior of the system over time.

2. How are Hamiltonian eigenvalues calculated?

Hamiltonian eigenvalues are calculated by solving the Hamiltonian operator equation, which involves finding the eigenvalues and eigenvectors of the operator. This can be done using various mathematical methods such as diagonalization, perturbation theory, or numerical methods.

3. What is the significance of Hamiltonian eigenvalues?

The Hamiltonian eigenvalues provide important information about the energy levels and dynamics of a physical system. They can be used to predict the behavior of the system over time, understand its stability, and make predictions about how it will respond to external stimuli.

4. Can Hamiltonian eigenvalues be observed in experiments?

Yes, Hamiltonian eigenvalues can be observed in experiments. In quantum mechanics, the energy levels of a system are observed through spectroscopy, which involves measuring the energy of photons emitted or absorbed by the system. In classical mechanics, the eigenvalues can be observed through the motion of the system over time.

5. Are there any real-world applications of Hamiltonian eigenvalues?

Yes, Hamiltonian eigenvalues have many real-world applications in physics, chemistry, and engineering. They are used to study the behavior of atoms and molecules, analyze the stability of physical systems, and design new materials with specific properties. They are also crucial in fields such as quantum computing and quantum cryptography.