Lin algebra: find the matrix with respect to basis

In summary, the given conversation discusses finding a basis for a subspace V and calculating the matrix T with respect to V, which is a linear mapping. The basis for V is determined to be {e1 + e2 - e3, e1 - e4}, and the matrix T is found to be [[0, -1], [1, 0]]. The conversation also addresses verifying that T maps V into itself and determining the effects of T on the basis vectors.
chadpip

Homework Statement

Let W be a 4dim vector space with basis {e1, e2, e3, e4}. Let T be the linear mapping:

T(e1) = -e1 -2e2 + 2e3
T(e2) = 4e1 + 4e2 - 5e3 -3e4
T(e3) = 2e1 + 2e2 -3e3 -2e4
T(e4) = -e2 + e3

Let V be the subspace spanned by {e1 + e2 - e3, e1 - e4, -e1 + e2 -e3 +2e4}

Now: find a basis for V and calculate the matrix T with respect to V (the matrix T restricted to the subspace V) with respect to this basis

Homework Equations

-

The Attempt at a Solution

well the 3 elements in the span of V are lin. DEP and i found that {e1 + e2 - e3, e1 - e4} are lin ind so they form a basis for V.

Now, for the matrix.. I keep getting confused. It seems that I am beginning in R4 and ending in R2... i am confused on how to get from a 4x4 matrix 2x4? I calcluated what the basis vectors for V look like when they go through the transformation T (** I got: T(e1 + e2 - e3) = e1 - e4 ; T(e1 - e4) = - e1 - e2 + e3).

I was thinking I would multiply the matrix rep. of T by something to give me the matrix rep. of **. Is this correct for what I should be doing?

But it doesn't really make sense...

I know my final answer needs to be a square matrix because later parts of this exercise ask me to calculate the eigenvalues (so it must be square.)

Hopefully I did not really confuse you. All the examples I have been looking at to try and help don't seem to be completely relevant.

Physics news on Phys.org
You've found a basis of V. Now, does T map V into itself? If so it is an linear map on T. What is it?

since T is linear,
T(V) =
T(e1 - e4) = T(e1) - T(e4) = -e1 -e2 + e3
T(e1 + e2 - e3) = T(e1) -T(e2) + T(e3) = e1 - e4

the results come out of elements of the span, or linear combinations of elements of the span of V.

therefore, T(V) is contained in V, so T maps V into itself..

So if we let f_1 and f_2 stand for the basis vectors e_1 -e_4 and e_1+e_2-e_3. T sends f_1 to what (in terms of f_i)?

ah okay. then:

T(f_1) = - f_2
and
T(f_2) = f_1

.i feel we are now ready to construct the matrix knowing this but i am not sure what it is yet. I am thinking

would then matrix then just be:

0 -1
1 0

?

You shouldn't need to ask; it is a matter of verifying if it does what it is supposed to. It is the standard 'plugging the answer back in' to check.

1. What is a basis in linear algebra?

A basis in linear algebra is a set of linearly independent vectors that can be used to represent any other vector in a vector space. It acts as a coordinate system for the vector space, allowing for easier calculations and understanding of vector operations.

2. How do you find the matrix with respect to a basis?

To find the matrix with respect to a basis, you need to represent the basis vectors as columns in the matrix. Then, you can use the coordinates of the given vector with respect to the basis to fill in the corresponding entries in the matrix. The resulting matrix will represent the given vector in terms of the basis vectors.

3. Why is finding the matrix with respect to a basis useful?

Finding the matrix with respect to a basis is useful because it allows for easier computation of vector operations. It also helps in understanding the relationship between different vectors in a vector space and can be used to solve systems of linear equations.

4. Can a vector have multiple representations with respect to different bases?

Yes, a vector can have multiple representations with respect to different bases. This is because different bases can span the same vector space, but have different coordinate systems. Therefore, the same vector can be represented by different combinations of coordinates with respect to different bases.

5. How do you determine if a set of vectors forms a basis?

A set of vectors forms a basis if they are linearly independent and span the entire vector space. This means that none of the vectors can be written as a linear combination of the others, and together they can be used to represent any other vector in the vector space.