Determining Moment of Inertia of a sphere.

In summary, a cylinder has radius R, mass M, and length L. To calculate its moment of inertia about its central axis (the z axis), divide the cylinder into infinitesimally small layers and calculate the integral I = \int \rho*r^2 dV. Substitute M/\pi*R^2*L for \rho into the equation to get I = \frac{1}{2}*M*R^2. To calculate the moment of inertia of a sphere about it's central axis, start by dividing the sphere into a hemisphere and multiplying by 2.
aFk-Al
Determining Moment of Inertia of a Sphere

I'm having some troubles determining the moment of inertia of a sphere about it's central axis. My original question was to calculate it for a cylinder, which I've done, but I'd like to know how to find it for a sphere.
Here is the problem solved for a cylinder:

Problem:
A uniform solid cylinder has radius R, mass M, and length L. Calculate its moment of inertia about its central axis (the z axis).

Solution:
I divided the cylinder into infinitesimally small layers because I knew that [tex]dV = (2\pi*r*dr)*L[/tex]. From here I calculated the integral [tex]I = \int \rho*r^2 dV = \int_{0}^R \rho*r^2*(2\pi*r*L)dr = 2*\pi*\rho*L*R^4 [/tex]
I substituted [tex]\frac {M}{\pi*R^2*L}[/tex] (or [tex]\frac{M}{V}[/tex]) for [tex]\rho[/tex] into the equation to get [tex] I = \frac{1}{2}*\pi*(\frac {M}{\pi*R^2*L})*L*R^4 = \frac{1}{2}*M*R^2[/tex]

I understand this, but when I tried to get it as a sphere I ended up getting the wrong answer. Could anyone please show me how to start the problem with a sphere?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Do it in spherical coordinates, being careful to take the sin(theta) for each little volume piece (since the spherical r value is from the origin, not from the axis of rotation). And be careful to use the correct value for dV in spherical coordinates.

For the solid spere, I like to add up the moment of inertia of a bunch of disks form -R to R.

How did you try to perform your integral for the sphere? Think of your choice of coordinate system--hint: spherical polar coordinates.

damn: really should have refreshed quicker!

Couldn't I divide the sphere into a hemisphere and multiply it by 2? E.G. [tex]2*\pi*\int_{0}^R (\sqrt{R^2-r^2}*r^2)*r^2 dr[/tex] Where R is the radius of the sphere. So essentially I'm adding a bunch of [tex]\pi*r^2[/tex] (circles) to get a half of a sphere. Then multiplying the whole thing times two.

Last edited:
hmm, why don't you show a little more work so that it is easier to follow.
one thing though, you might want to reconsider muliplying it by two--think about it.

I have no idea how to integrate that, so I don't have much work to show. The idea makes sense in my head, but I don't know how to follow through with it.

1. What is the formula for calculating the moment of inertia of a sphere?

The moment of inertia of a sphere can be calculated using the formula I = 2/5 * m * r^2, where I is the moment of inertia, m is the mass of the sphere, and r is the radius of the sphere.

2. Why is it important to determine the moment of inertia of a sphere?

Knowing the moment of inertia of a sphere is important in many fields of science and engineering, such as mechanics, physics, and aerospace. It helps in understanding the motion and stability of a rotating sphere and in designing structures that involve spheres.

3. How do you measure the moment of inertia of a sphere experimentally?

The moment of inertia of a sphere can be measured experimentally by using a torsion pendulum or by using a moment of inertia balance. Both methods involve applying a known torque to the sphere and measuring its angular acceleration.

4. How does the distribution of mass affect the moment of inertia of a sphere?

The moment of inertia of a sphere is affected by the distribution of its mass. A sphere with a concentrated mass towards its center will have a smaller moment of inertia compared to a sphere with the same mass but with the mass distributed towards its surface.

5. Can the moment of inertia of a sphere change?

Yes, the moment of inertia of a sphere can change if the mass or the distribution of mass changes. It can also be affected by external factors such as temperature and pressure. However, for a rigid sphere with a constant mass and distribution, the moment of inertia remains constant.