What are the steps for finding the area of a region bounded by a polar equation?

• Thread starter rcmango
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Area
In summary, the task is to find the area of the region bounded by r = 3 + 2sin(theta). The equation for finding the area is A = 1/2 B integral A r^2 d(theta). The integral is 2 * 1/2 integral (3 + 2sin(theta))^2 d(theta) and the solution involves expanding the binomial, splitting the integral, and using the equation \sin^2 \theta = \frac { 1-\cos {2\theta}}{2}. Care must also be taken to determine the appropriate limits of integration.
rcmango

Homework Statement

find the area of the region bounded by r = 3 + 2sin(theta)

heres a pic of the intended equations i have so far: http://img263.imageshack.us/img263/8804/untitledpk1.jpg

Homework Equations

A = 1/2 B integral A r^2 d(theta)

The Attempt at a Solution

2 * 1/2 integral (3 + 2sin(theta))^2 d(theta

this is as far as i have gotten with this, i am not good with integrals, can someone help me with the rest of this please. thanks.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
ok Well basically you need help with this integral:

[tex]\int^b_a (3 + 2\sin \theta)^2 d\theta[/tex].

Expand the binomial. (I'm going to ignore the bounds for now, account for them later for me please :P)

[tex]\int 9 + 12\sin\theta + 4\sin^2 \theta d\theta[/tex].

Split the integral up. the first 2 parts are very easy, you should get this.

[tex]9\theta - 12\cos\theta + 4\int \sin^2\theta d\theta[/tex].

We know that [tex]\sin^2 \theta = \frac { 1-\cos {2\theta}}{2}[/tex]. Just sub that in, take out the factor of 1/2, split it up again, easy work. GOGOGO!

Becareful when you are doing the part Gib Z did NOT do- determine the limits of integration. What values of [itex]\theta[/itex] will take you exactly once around the boundary?

1. How do I find the area of a rectangle?

To find the area of a rectangle, you multiply the length by the width. The formula for finding the area of a rectangle is A = l * w, where A is the area, l is the length, and w is the width.

2. What is the formula for finding the area of a triangle?

The formula for finding the area of a triangle is A = 1/2 * b * h, where A is the area, b is the base, and h is the height. Make sure to use the correct units for your measurements.

3. How do I find the area of a circle?

To find the area of a circle, you use the formula A = π * r^2, where A is the area and r is the radius of the circle. Remember to use the value of π as 3.14 or use a calculator for a more accurate result.

4. Can I use any unit of measurement for finding the area?

Yes, you can use any unit of measurement as long as you are consistent with it. For example, if you measure the length and width of a rectangle in feet, then the area will be in square feet.

5. How do I find the area of an irregular shape?

To find the area of an irregular shape, you can break it down into smaller, regular shapes such as rectangles, triangles, and circles. Then, you can find the area of each shape and add them together to get the total area of the irregular shape.