Roller Coaster/Energy conservation

In summary: He is missing a key part of the equation. He needs to know the velocity at the bottom of the ramp entering the loop and the height of the ramp to find the minimum speed needed to make a full revolution.
Jordanosaur
Hi All -

Here's the problem I have:

A block of mass m slides down a frictionless track, then around the inside of a circular loop-the-loop of radius R. What minimum height h
must the block have to make a full run around the loop without falling off? The answer is to be given as a multiple of R.

I think that this problem should be easy, but I guess I'm not seeing the right angle of approach yet. I know that the minimum speed for the coaster to make a full run would be sqrt(Rg), and I think that the solution could be obtained though KE (1/2mv^2) and PE(mgh) laws. However, I can't see the right place to start on this one. If anyone can give me a pointer in the right direction, I would appreciate it. I am certainly not looking for a free solution, just a hint or two would be great.

Thanks

Jordan

Physics news on Phys.org
You are exactly right that you want to use conservation laws. Here's one hint. The speed of the block when it reaches the top of the loop has to have a minimum value. Its radial acceleration around the loop has to equal the acceleration of gravity or it will fall off. What's a formula for the acceleration of a body in circular motion? Add that to your conservation equations.

Thanks for your response!

So the radial acceleration in circular motion is (v^2/R), and when it is set equal to the acceleration of gravity, you can conclude that Vmin = sqrt (gR).

Now, I'm thinking that we need to know the velocity at the bottom of the ramp entering the loop, and we can find the height of the ramp from that:

1/2m(sqrt(gr))^2 = mgh

= 1/2mgr = mgh

mg cancels, and we arrive at h = 1/2 R, but I know that's not right as the answer is supposed to be 2.5R.

This the first problem I have tried to use conservation laws related to circular motion, and I'm definitely missing a vital part of theory that applies to this type of problem - I know that the accel. in the loop must equal gravity, and that the height of the ramp is responsible for accruing the minimum loop-entrance velocity to allow a full revolution.

Any further suggestions?

Thanks again

It doesn't have just kinetic energy at the top of the loop. It needs extra gravitational potential energy to climb from the bottom of the loop to the top. How much? Then put it in here:

1/2m(sqrt(gr))^2+PE = mgh

Beautiful -

That's exactly what i was missing - It totally makes sense as the PE is increasing as the KE goes down toward the top of the coaster. That's what I didn't think to factor into the final equation.

I really appreciate your help, and you have saved me a couple extra hours of head scratching.

Jordan

1. What is the principle of energy conservation in a roller coaster?

The principle of energy conservation in a roller coaster is based on the law of conservation of energy, which states that energy cannot be created or destroyed, but can only be transferred or converted from one form to another. In a roller coaster, potential energy is converted into kinetic energy as the car moves down the track, and kinetic energy is converted back into potential energy as the car moves up the next hill.

2. How does a roller coaster maintain its speed throughout the ride?

A roller coaster maintains its speed through the use of a system called a lift hill. The lift hill uses a motor to pull the cars up to the top of the first hill, giving them potential energy. As the cars move through the track, they gradually lose potential energy and gain kinetic energy, which allows them to maintain their speed throughout the ride.

3. Why are roller coasters designed with hills and loops?

Hills and loops are designed in roller coasters to manipulate the potential and kinetic energy of the cars. Hills are used to build up potential energy, which is then converted into kinetic energy as the cars move down the hill. Loops, on the other hand, use the concept of centripetal force to keep the cars moving in a circular motion, allowing them to maintain their speed and momentum.

4. How does friction affect the energy conservation in a roller coaster?

Friction plays a significant role in energy conservation in a roller coaster. Friction between the wheels of the cars and the track causes the cars to lose some of their energy, which is why roller coasters have mechanisms such as wheels and bearings to reduce friction. Additionally, friction between the air and the cars can also affect their speed and energy.

5. How do different types of roller coasters use energy conservation?

Different types of roller coasters use energy conservation in various ways. For example, traditional wooden roller coasters use the potential energy of the first hill to power the rest of the ride, while steel roller coasters use a combination of potential and kinetic energy. Inverted roller coasters, on the other hand, use the concept of centripetal force to maintain their speed throughout loops and twists.