Galvanometer has a coil with a resistance

In summary, a galvanometer has a coil with a resistance of 81 W. A current of 131 mA causes full scale deflection. To make a voltmeter, the galvanometer and resistor have to be in series. So for the equivilant resistor, I would have R+Rg=Reg. Kirchhoff's rules (loop rule) tells me that the V=0 for the entire loop. So with this information, I can calculate the value of the series resistor that is required in order to use the galvanometer as a Voltmeter with 40 V full scale. With this information, I can also calculate the voltage drop across the resistor (Vr) and the voltage across the galvanometer (Vg). So with
GravityGirl
part 1: A galvanometer has a coil with a resistance of 81 W. A current of 131 mA causes full scale deflection. Calculate the value of the series resistor that is required in order to use the galvanometer as a Voltmeter with 40 V full scale.

so to make a voltmeter, the galvanometer and resistor have to be in series. so for the equivilant resistor i would have R+Rg=Reg

so by kirchhoffs rules (loop rule) i conclude that the V=0 for the entire loop

Vo-ReqI=0
Vo=(R+Rg)I
40=(R+81)1.31

and with this i am getting a negitve number for R..please help

part 2: What shunt resistor is necessary to convert the galvanometer into an Ammeter which deflects full scale for 1.1 A?

so for an ammeter, the resistor and galvanometer are in parallel
Req=(1/R+1/Rg)^-1

and i am going to use the loop rule again.

Vo=RegI
Vo=I(1/R+1/Req)^-1
40=1.1(1/R+1/81)^-1

and i also get a negtive number...please help

Physics news on Phys.org
Two things on part 1. First, when you cut and paste in the text that has character set formatting, it changed the 81 Ohms in the first sentence to 81 W ("W" is the Ohms symbol in the Symbol character set for Windows). If you want to keep it Ohms, use latex like this:

[tex]81 \Omega[/tex]

You can press the Quote button on this post to see the format of the latex for the line above.

Second, 131mA = 0.131 A. You used 1.31 in your 3rd equation for some reason, instead of 0.131.

Does that get you going again?

ok...i got the first one...but i am still confused on the second part

where am i going wrong?

On part 2, when 131mA is going through the galvanometer's resistance, how much voltage is that across the galvanometer? And to make the full 1.1A, that's 131mA plus how much extra current through the shunt resistor? And that much current at the previously calculated voltage implies that the shunt resistor is what value of resistance?

Please show us your work -- you're almost there!

EDIT -- fixed a typo of mine.

ok so the voltage drop across the galve. is = to the voltage drop across Rs

and Vg=IR=.131*81=10.61

so Vr=10.61=RI and that is 10.61=R(1.1-.131)=10.95 ohms

Looks good to me. Good job!

1. What is a galvanometer and how does it work?

A galvanometer is an instrument used to measure small electric currents. It works by using a coil with a resistance, which is placed in a magnetic field. When an electric current passes through the coil, it experiences a force due to the interaction between the magnetic field and the current. This force causes the coil to rotate, and the angle of rotation is proportional to the strength of the current.

2. What is the purpose of having a coil with a resistance in a galvanometer?

The coil with a resistance in a galvanometer serves two main purposes. Firstly, it acts as a current-carrying element, allowing the electric current to flow through it. Secondly, it creates a magnetic field that interacts with the external magnetic field, causing the coil to rotate. The resistance of the coil also helps to limit the current flow and prevent damage to the instrument.

3. How is the resistance of the coil in a galvanometer determined?

The resistance of the coil in a galvanometer is determined by its physical characteristics, such as the material it is made of, its length, and its cross-sectional area. The number of turns in the coil also affects its resistance. The resistance can be calculated using Ohm's law, which states that resistance is equal to the voltage divided by the current.

4. Can the resistance of the coil in a galvanometer be changed?

Yes, the resistance of the coil in a galvanometer can be changed by altering its physical characteristics, such as the material, length, and number of turns. However, it is important to note that changing the resistance can affect the sensitivity and accuracy of the galvanometer.

5. How does the resistance of the coil affect the sensitivity of a galvanometer?

The resistance of the coil in a galvanometer is directly related to its sensitivity. A higher resistance means that the galvanometer is more sensitive, as it allows for a larger current flow and a larger deflection of the coil. However, a higher resistance also means that the instrument is more prone to errors and can be affected by external factors, such as temperature changes. Therefore, the resistance of the coil must be carefully chosen to balance sensitivity and accuracy.