Parametric equation of a line and a plane

In summary, the conversation is discussing the use of dot and cross products and the parametric equation of a line in finding the intersection point between a line and a plane. The direction vector for the line is <3, -4, 1> and the point of intersection is given as p(-4, 8, 3). The issue is understanding how to find the direction set for the plane, which can be done by taking the cross product of r1-p and r2-p, resulting in a vector that is a scalar multiple of the normal vector of the plane. The correct understanding is that the cross product of the point of intersection vector and the direction vector for the line will not give the normal vector of the plane, but
linuspauling
I CAN'T SEEM TO GET THE ANSWER THAT IS CONSISTENT WITH MY UNDERSTANDING OF THE USE OF DOT AND CROSS PRODUCTS AND THE USE OF THE PARAMETRIC EQUATION OF THE LINE.

LOOK AT THIS PLEASE:

the parametric equation of the line is:
x = 2 + 3t
y = -4t
z = 5 + t

the plane is 4x + 5y - 2z = 18

The simple part of course is to figure out the direction vector.

V = <3, -4, 1>

and if we use this basic vector fact, r = ro + vt where vt = a (vector)

r0 = <2, 0, 5>

this was the easy part.

I found that the plane and the line intersect when the parameter = -2, which gives us a point, p.

p(-4, 8, 3)

And, we all know that the NORMAL VECTOR of the given plane is
N = <4, 5, -2>

MY QUESTION FOR YOU...I NEED HELP!
SHOULDN'T THE CROSS PRODUCT BETWEEN THE VECTORS R0 AND THE DIRECTION VECTOR, V, GIVE US THE NORMAL VECTOR? OR AT LEAST A NORMAL VECTOR WITH COMPONENTS THAT ARE A MULTIPLE OF <4, 5, -2>?

WHAT ABOUT THE VECTOR THAT FORMS FROM THE POINT OF INTERSECTION OF PLANE AND LINE? VECTOR P = <-4, 8, 3>
IF I CROSS VECTOR P AND VECTOR R0, I OUGHT TO GET THE NORMAL VECTOR...BUT I DON'T!

WHAT PART OF MY UNDERSTANDING IS INCORRECT?

Physics news on Phys.org
You already have an understanding of direction vector for line.
What you want now is a direction set for your plane.

Here's one way to compute them.
r1=(2,0,-5) is on the plane, and so is r2=(0,2,-4), and so is your p=(-4,8,3).
Claim: {r1-p, r2-p} constitutes a direction set for your plane (i.e., a linearly independent
doubleton set of direction vectors).

If you take the cross product of r1-p and r2-p, you should (will)
get a vector that's a scalar multiple of N.

How to "see" it? Visualize where the direction vectors reside.
If you cross them, what do you get?

It seems like you have a good understanding of the use of dot and cross products and the parametric equation of a line. However, your approach to finding the normal vector of the plane and the vector that forms from the point of intersection may not be correct.

Firstly, the cross product between the vectors r0 and v will not necessarily give you the normal vector of the plane. The normal vector of a plane is perpendicular to the plane itself, so it cannot be found by simply taking the cross product of two vectors within the plane. In fact, the normal vector of the plane is the coefficients of the x, y, and z terms in the plane's equation. In this case, the normal vector is <4, 5, -2>.

Secondly, the vector p that you have found is not necessarily the same as the vector that forms from the point of intersection of the plane and the line. The point p that you have found is the point where the line intersects the xy-plane, not necessarily the plane of interest. To find the point of intersection between the line and the plane, you would need to substitute the parametric equations of the line into the equation of the plane and solve for t. This will give you the value of t at which the line intersects the plane, and you can then substitute this value into the parametric equations to find the corresponding point of intersection.

In summary, to find the normal vector of a plane and the point of intersection between a line and a plane, you would need to use the equation of the plane and the parametric equations of the line, rather than taking the cross product of two vectors. I hope this helps clarify any misunderstandings you may have had.

1. What is a parametric equation?

A parametric equation is a mathematical expression that defines a relationship between two or more variables. It is often used to represent a curve or surface in terms of a set of parameters.

2. How is a line represented by a parametric equation?

A line can be represented by a parametric equation in the form of x = x0 + at and y = y0 + bt, where x0 and y0 are the coordinates of a point on the line and a and b are the direction numbers.

3. What is the significance of the direction numbers in a parametric equation of a line?

The direction numbers in a parametric equation of a line represent the slope of the line. The slope is given by the ratio a/b, and it determines the steepness and direction of the line.

4. How is a plane represented by a parametric equation?

A plane can be represented by a parametric equation in the form of x = x0 + au + bv, y = y0 + cu + dv, and z = z0 + eu + fv, where x0, y0, and z0 are the coordinates of a point on the plane and a, b, c, d, e, and f are the direction numbers.

5. What is the relationship between a line and a plane represented by parametric equations?

A line and a plane can intersect at a single point, which can be found by solving the system of equations formed by their parametric equations. Depending on the values of the direction numbers, the line and plane may intersect in a unique point, no points, or infinitely many points.