Measuring Surface Tension: Tips and Methods for Your Physics Experiment

In summary, the conversation is about a person conducting a physics experiment on the relationship between a liquid's temperature and surface tension. They are looking for a simple way to accurately measure surface tension and the potential relationship between temperature and surface tension. They discuss the possibility of using a test tube and deriving equations to calculate surface tension, without needing to measure the angle of contact. Another method involving a spring scale and a sharp edged cylinder is also mentioned. The formula given for surface tension is S=(ρrlg)/2. The units for surface tension can be either dyns/cm or ergs/cm^2.
shamstar
help! surface tension

i am doing a physics experiment on the relationship between a liquids temperature and resulting surface tension. i am going to record the various surface tension of various liquids at different temperatures. the only problem is, is that I am not sure how to accurately measure the surface tension. I've looked on the internet but the methods seem a bit complicated. i would like something simple that hopefully won't take to long to do. if anyone has any ideas or experience in this area please let me know. it would be much appreciated. thanks
also, i know that as temperature increases surface tension decreases, but does anyone know what sort of relationship would exist between the surface tension of a liquid and its temperature. is is linear, exponential,etc?
thankyou

Physics news on Phys.org
One thing you could do is turn a test tube upside down in a beaker of liquid at a certain temperature and record the height of liquid column. It should form a U shape near the top of the liquid column, if you can accurately calculate that, you can find the surface tension. Here, the weight of the liquid column is balanced by the surface tension of the liquid. You could even ignore the U part if you want. Try to derive the equations.

HINT: F=S*L where F is the force exerted by the liquid surface, S is the surface tension, and L is the length (in this case the circumference) of the liquid exposed.

There is a second definition of surface tension based on the surface energy of the liquid. Using this, you could derive an expression between the temperature and surface tension.

thanks, that helps alot. just one thing. when you've measured the height of the liquid column, how do you find the force? do you use mass x gravity? how does the u shape effect the surface tension measurment? thanks

i found an equation on the internet that seems easy enough to use. it uses the idea of putting a test tube into a beaker of water and measuring the height difference. it is :
y = (2 gammalg cos theta) / (dgr)
where
• y is the vertical displacement (up if positive, down if negative)
• gammalg is the liquid-gas surface tension
• theta is the contact angle
• d is the density of the liquid density=mass/volume
• g is the acceleration of gravity
• r is the radius of the capillary

the only problem is, i think it may be hard to measure the angle of contact. you mentioned that you could do this experiment without measuring the angle. is that with another equation? please let me know. thanks

You can ignore the angle of contact. Here, since the weight of the liquid column is balanced by the force exerted by the surface tension, [tex]\rho \pi r^2 lg=S*2\pi r[/tex] where l is the height of the liquid column, rho is the density, g is the acceleration due to gravity and S is the surface tension.

Here, the approximation is that the volume of the liquid forming the U shape is so small that it can be neglected. Simplifying the above equation, you get:

[tex]S=\frac{\rho rlg}{2}[/tex]

thankyou so much! you're a legend! this helps me so much. thanks again.

The classic way of measuring surface tension is to pull a sharp edged cylinder out of the liquid with a sensitive spring scale and note the maximum force just before it is released by the surface. The surface tension is broken over a distance of twice the circumference of the cylinder in such a case (it clings to both sides of the cylinder). The edge of the cylinder need to be clean in order for the liquid to adhere to it.

shamstar said:
this helps me so much. thanks again.

You're welcome. Its what PF is for. Anyone would do it.

one more question about the formula you gave me. when i get an answer, is the units for surface tension in dyns/cm or ergs/cm^2? thankyou

1. What is surface tension?

Surface tension is a physical property of liquids that causes the surface of a liquid to behave like a thin, elastic film. It is caused by the imbalance of intermolecular forces at the surface of the liquid, resulting in a strong cohesive force that allows the liquid to resist external forces.

2. How does surface tension affect the behavior of liquids?

Surface tension is responsible for many unique behaviors of liquids, such as the formation of droplets, capillary action, and the ability to support small objects on its surface. It also plays a crucial role in the movement of fluids through narrow spaces, like in the xylem of plants.

3. What factors can affect the surface tension of a liquid?

The surface tension of a liquid can be influenced by several factors, including temperature, pressure, and the presence of impurities or additives. For example, increasing the temperature of a liquid can decrease its surface tension, while adding soap can lower the surface tension of water.

4. How is surface tension measured?

Surface tension is typically measured using a device called a tensiometer, which measures the force required to stretch a liquid surface. There are also various indirect methods, such as the capillary rise method, which uses the height of a liquid in a thin tube to determine its surface tension.

5. What are some real-world applications of surface tension?

Surface tension has several practical applications in everyday life, including soap bubbles, oil spills, and the functioning of our lungs. It is also utilized in industrial processes, such as coating technology and inkjet printing, and is essential in the production of many consumer products, such as detergents and cosmetics.