Calculating Distance with a Balanced Pivot

• Thread starter aligass2004
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Pivot
In summary, the distance from the pivot to each mass is 1.8 kg and the total torque around the pivot is zero.
aligass2004

Homework Statement

The two objects in the figure below are balanced on the pivot, with m = 1.8 kg. What is the distance d?

http://i241.photobucket.com/albums/ff4/alg5045/p13-27alt.gif

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I haven't attempted a solution because I'm not sure how to set this problem up. I know that a Fnet must be found, and I know that the two masses would be in the equation and I know that the pivot would exert a normal force. I know part of the equation would be Fnet = N(pivot) - (m1 + m2)g, but where do the distances come into play?

Physics news on Phys.org
aligass2004 said:

Homework Statement

The two objects in the figure below are balanced on the pivot, with m = 1.8 kg. What is the distance d?

http://i241.photobucket.com/albums/ff4/alg5045/p13-27alt.gif

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I haven't attempted a solution because I'm not sure how to set this problem up. I know that a Fnet must be found, and I know that the two masses would be in the equation and I know that the pivot would exert a normal force. I know part of the equation would be Fnet = N(pivot) - (m1 + m2)g, but where do the distances come into play?
Your approach will solve for the normal force at the pivot by setting Fnet=0 because the system is in translational equilibrium. But since the loads are balanced, you must also look at the rotational equilibrium about the pivot, wher the sum of the torques must be zero. Are you familiar with torque calculations for moments of the objects about the pivot point?

No I'm not.

Torque of a mass about a point is just its weight times the perpendicular distance of its cg to the point. The torque of each mass must then balance. You'll have to draw a good sketch to get the proper distances involved.

I have no idea how to do that.

1. How do you find the distance with a pivot?

To find the distance with a pivot, you will need to measure the angle between the two objects and the distance between the pivot and one of the objects. Then, you can use trigonometry to calculate the distance between the two objects.

2. What is a pivot point?

A pivot point is a fixed point that serves as a reference for measuring distance between two objects. It is usually located at the center of rotation or the point where two objects are connected.

3. Can you use a pivot to find distance in three-dimensional space?

Yes, you can use a pivot to find distance in three-dimensional space. However, you will need to measure the angle and distance in all three dimensions and use more complex trigonometric calculations.

4. What are some common tools used for finding distance with a pivot?

Some common tools used for finding distance with a pivot are protractors, rulers, measuring tapes, and clinometers. These tools are used to measure angles and distances accurately.

5. Are there any limitations to using a pivot for finding distance?

Yes, there are some limitations to using a pivot for finding distance. The accuracy of the measurement depends on the precision of the tools used, and the calculation may become more complex in three-dimensional space. Additionally, this method may not be suitable for finding distance in curved or irregular objects.