Vo = (310 Hz / 340 m/s + 0 m/s) * (340 m/s / 342 Hz)Vo = 0.907 m/s

So the sign of the numerator will be opposite to the sign of the denominator.In summary, the Doppler Effect is a phenomenon where the frequency of a sound wave appears to change when the source and observer are in relative motion. In order to calculate the speed of the approaching vehicle in this scenario, the formula f_o = f_s((v +/- v_o)/(v +/- v_s)) is used, where f_o is the observed frequency, f_s is the source frequency, v is the speed of sound, v_o is the speed of the observer, and v_s is the speed of the source. The sign in the equation depends on whether the source and observer are approaching or separating from each other.
BuBbLeS01
Doppler Effect...Ahhhh!

Homework Statement

A student in a parked car honks the horn, which has a `proper' frequency of 310.00 Hz. An observer in an approaching vehicle measures the frequency of the sound to be 342 Hz. Calculate the speed of the approaching vehicle. Use 340 m/s as the speed of sound in air.

Homework Equations

Fo / V + Vo = Fs / V + Vs
Fs = 310 Hz
Vs = 0 m/s
Fo = 342 Hz
Vo = ?
V = 340 m/s

The Attempt at a Solution

Vo = (Fs / V + Vs) * (V / Fo)
I know this is where I am messing up because I am not getting the right answer. Can someone show me where I am going wrong.

Physics news on Phys.org
Be careful in grouping terms.

One should have a form of the equation as:

[tex]f_o\,=\,f_s(\frac{v\pm{v_o}}{v\pm{v_s}})[/tex] where subscripts o and s refer to observer and source, respectively, and v is the speed of sound.

Please refer to

http://www.kettering.edu/~drussell/Demos/doppler/doppler.html

Here is a nice tutorial on sound waves

http://www.glenbrook.k12.il.us/gbssci/phys/Class/sound/soundtoc.html

Last edited by a moderator:
What if I am looking for the speed. And for this one how I do I determine what is the observer F and V and the source F and V?

A person standing close to a railroad crossing hears the whistle of an approaching train. He notes that the pitch of the whistle drops as the train passes by and moves away from the crossing. The frequency of the approaching whistle is 517 Hz, and drops to 494 Hz after the train is well past the crossing. What is the speed of the train? Use 340 m/s for the speed of sound in air.

Does anyone know how to do this?

so if we want to find the Velocity we can do...
(Fs +/- Fo) / (Fs +/- Fo) * V = Vs
and...
(Fo +/- Fs) / (Fo +/- Fs) * V = Vo

how do I know if its +/-? I know it depends on if the source is approaching or receding but what sign corresponds to which?

BuBbLeS01 said:
What if I am looking for the speed. And for this one how I do I determine what is the observer F and V and the source F and V?
In the equation provided by Astronuc, V is the speed of sound, Vo is the speed of the observer, and Vs is the speed of the source. Fs is the frequency of the source and Fo is the observed frequency.

BuBbLeS01 said:
how do I know if its +/-? I know it depends on if the source is approaching or receding but what sign corresponds to which?
If source and observer approach each other, Fo > Fs; if they separate, Fo < Fs.

What is the meaning of the equation Vo = (310 Hz / 340 m/s + 0 m/s) * (340 m/s / 342 Hz)Vo = 0.907 m/s?

This equation represents the relationship between the frequency of a sound wave (Hz) and the speed of sound (m/s). The value of Vo (velocity of the sound wave) is calculated by dividing the frequency by the sum of the sound's initial velocity (0 m/s) and the speed of sound (340 m/s), and then multiplying it by the ratio of the speed of sound to the frequency of the wave. The resulting value of 0.907 m/s is the final velocity of the sound wave.

What is the significance of using 310 Hz and 342 Hz in the equation?

The values of 310 Hz and 342 Hz represent the frequency of the sound wave. In this equation, they are used to calculate the velocity of the sound wave. Different frequencies can result in different velocities, as seen in the final value of 0.907 m/s.

Why is the speed of sound (340 m/s) used in the equation?

The speed of sound is used in the equation because it is a constant value that represents the speed at which sound travels through a medium. By using this value, we can calculate the velocity of a specific sound wave at a given frequency.

What is the relationship between the frequency and velocity of a sound wave?

The frequency and velocity of a sound wave are inversely proportional. This means that as the frequency increases, the velocity decreases and vice versa. This relationship is represented in the equation where the frequency and velocity are divided by each other.

How can this equation be applied in real-life situations?

This equation can be applied in various real-life situations, such as calculating the speed of sound in different mediums, understanding the Doppler effect, and determining the frequency or velocity of a sound wave. It is also used in fields such as acoustics, seismology, and telecommunications to analyze and measure sound waves and their properties.