Oblique impact of smooth spheres?

In summary, the conversation discusses the impact of a sphere with mass m on a resting sphere with mass M, with a coefficient of restitution of e. It is shown that if m=eM, the directions of motion after impact will be at right angles. The conversation also discusses the use of a vector representation and the conservation of momentum in solving this problem. An article is suggested as a helpful resource for further understanding.
haddow64
1. A sphere of mass m impinges obliquely on a sphere of mass M, which is at rest. The coefficient of restitution between the spheres is e. Show that if m=eM, the directions of motion after impact are at right angles

2. Coefficient of restitution -
442cb57fc9daffed79a534632d0a5aad.png

3. I really don't think I have a clue with this one, so far I have taken e and substituted it into m=eM to give

m = M x V[tex]_{}2f[/tex]-V[tex]_{}1f[/tex][tex]/[/tex]V[tex]_{}1[/tex]

Can anyone give me any clues as to where to go next or am I going completely wrong with what I have?

Thanks in advance for any help

Physics news on Phys.org
Have you tried to draw a vector representation of your problem? Try this and make use of the conservation of momentum.

dlgoff said:
Have you tried to draw a vector representation of your problem? Try this and make use of the conservation of momentum.

This is what I have for the problem,

http://img156.imageshack.us/img156/2310/questioncb9.jpg

Do I have the right idea of what the collision looks like?

And how would I use the momentum conservation here, as in U1 (speed of m before) = V2 (speed of M after)?

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, that's not exactly what I had in mind.

Could you read over this http://instruct.tri-c.edu/fgram/web/elastic.htm" and let me know if it helps?

Last edited by a moderator:
Ah, that article was exactly what I needed, thanks for your help :D

1. What is the definition of oblique impact of smooth spheres?

The oblique impact of smooth spheres refers to the collision between two spherical objects where the angle of incidence (or impact angle) is not perpendicular to the surface of the target sphere.

2. How does the angle of incidence affect the outcome of an oblique impact?

The angle of incidence plays a significant role in determining the outcome of an oblique impact. A smaller angle of incidence typically results in a lower rebound angle, while a larger angle of incidence can lead to a higher rebound angle or even a complete rebound of the impacting sphere.

3. What factors influence the outcome of an oblique impact?

The outcome of an oblique impact is influenced by various factors such as the angle of incidence, the velocity and mass of the impacting sphere, the material properties of both spheres, and the coefficient of restitution (a measure of the elasticity of the collision).

4. How is the coefficient of restitution related to oblique impact?

The coefficient of restitution is directly related to the outcome of an oblique impact. It determines the amount of energy lost or conserved during the collision and can affect the final velocities and trajectories of both spheres.

5. What are some real-world applications of studying oblique impact of smooth spheres?

Studying oblique impact of smooth spheres has various practical applications, including understanding the mechanics of ball sports (such as golf, tennis, and billiards), designing impact-resistant materials, and analyzing the impact of meteorites on Earth's surface.