Sandbag is dropped from moving ballon

• Thread starter rsala
  • Start date
In summary: Your name]In summary, the forum poster was struggling with a physics problem involving a hot-air balloonist releasing a sandbag and finding its velocity at a certain time. They were able to solve the problem and find the correct answer, but were unsure of where they went wrong. It turns out they had forgotten to take into account the initial velocity of the sandbag when solving for its position at 1.15 seconds. After realizing their mistake, they were able to find the correct answer of -6.27 m/s.
rsala
nevermind, I've solved it, thanks anyway

hello, I've tried this simple problem a few times and mastering physics keeps taking points off =(.
ive never used latex so bare with me

Homework Statement

A hot-air balloonist, rising vertically with a constant velocity of magnitude v = 5.00 m/s, releases a sandbag at an instant when the balloon is a height h = 40.0 m above the ground View Figure . After it is released, the sandbag is in free fall. For the questions that follow, take the origin of the coordinate system used for measuring displacements to be at the ground, and upward displacements to be positive.

YF-02-41.jpg

Compute the velocity of the sandbag at a time 1.15 s after its release.

Homework Equations

x = X[tex]_{0}[/tex] +V[tex]_{0}[/tex]T + .5aT[tex]^{2}[/tex]
V[tex]^{2}[/tex] = V[tex]^{2}_{0}[/tex] + 2a(x - x[tex]_{0}[/tex])

The Attempt at a Solution

I assume that the initial velocity of the sandbag once it is released is 5ms since that was the velocity of the balloon.

first i found the position of the sandbag at 1.15.
x = 40 + 5(1.15) + .5(-9.81)(1.15)[tex]^{2}[/tex]
x = 39.3

up to this point i am 100% sure i am correct.

next i inserted this information into the velocity formula.
V[tex]^{2}[/tex] = V[tex]^{2}_{0}[/tex] + 2a(x - x[tex]_{0}[/tex])

V[tex]^{2}[/tex] = (5)[tex]^{2}[/tex] + 2(-9.81)(39.3 - 40)
[tex]\sqrt{V^{2}}[/tex] = [tex]\sqrt{38.688}[/tex]
V = 6.22

Mastering physics says incorrect and to check my signs,, I've checked my signs i can't find my error

edit: ops, since its falling i take the negative root not the positive root, problem solved..answer was -6.27

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org

I'm glad to hear that you were able to solve the problem and find the correct answer! It's always a great feeling when you are able to figure out a difficult problem. In case you were still curious about where you went wrong, it looks like you may have forgotten to take into account the initial velocity of the sandbag when solving for its position at 1.15 seconds. Since the sandbag is released from a moving balloon, it already has an initial velocity of 5 m/s in the upward direction. This would change your equation for position to:

x = 40 + 5(1.15) + 0.5(-9.81)(1.15)^2 = 39.3 m

Then, when solving for the velocity using the equation V^2 = V_0^2 + 2a(x-x_0), you would get:

V^2 = 5^2 + 2(-9.81)(39.3-40) = 38.688 m/s^2

Taking the square root of this value would give you the correct answer of -6.27 m/s, which is the same as what you found when you realized your mistake.

I hope this helps and keep up the good work in your studies!

Hello,

I'm glad to hear that you were able to solve the problem and find your error. It's important to always double check your signs when working with equations and make sure they align with the direction you have chosen as positive. Keep up the good work!

1. How does the speed of the balloon affect the sandbag when it is dropped?

The speed of the balloon will affect the speed at which the sandbag falls. The faster the balloon is moving, the faster the sandbag will fall. This is due to the principle of inertia, where an object in motion will continue to move at a constant speed unless acted upon by an external force.

2. What factors determine the impact of the sandbag when it hits the ground?

The impact of the sandbag when it hits the ground is determined by a few factors, including the weight and size of the sandbag, the height from which it is dropped, and the surface it lands on. Heavier and larger sandbags will create a greater impact, and a higher drop height will also increase the impact. The surface the sandbag lands on can also affect the impact, with softer surfaces like sand or grass absorbing more of the impact than harder surfaces like concrete.

3. Can the sandbag be dropped from any height without breaking?

No, the sandbag cannot be dropped from any height without breaking. As the sandbag falls, it gains potential energy which is converted into kinetic energy upon impact. If the height is too great, the sandbag will reach a point where it cannot withstand the force of the impact and will break.

4. How does air resistance affect the sandbag when it is dropped?

Air resistance, also known as drag, will affect the speed at which the sandbag falls. As the sandbag falls, it will encounter air molecules which will create a force in the opposite direction of its motion. This force will increase as the sandbag's speed increases, eventually reaching a point where it balances out the force of gravity and the sandbag falls at a constant speed known as terminal velocity.

5. What is the relationship between the weight of the sandbag and its acceleration when dropped from a moving balloon?

The weight of the sandbag will affect its acceleration when dropped from a moving balloon. Heavier sandbags will have a greater force of gravity acting on them, causing them to accelerate faster towards the ground. This means that a heavier sandbag will reach the ground quicker than a lighter sandbag, assuming they are dropped from the same height and at the same time.