Where did all the old forum members go?

• Thread starter Andre
  • Start date
In summary: perhaps an "unseen user" type feature where only the "admins" could see the e-mail address, next of kin information, etc. in a data cell in the user CP that would be visible only to them.This would help solve the problem of people guessing wildly. It would also provide a way for members to contact each other if necessary.
Andre
So today Evo posted a very old thread of Tribdog (happy birthday) and one of the first posters in there was Njorl, who disappeared without a trace mid 2004. I remember him as a witty and clever poster and I would have liked very much to know why he was no longer there. Seeing the abrupt full stop after over 10 posts a day, obviously, the worst scenerio cannot be excluded, like the respected SelfAdjoint and Boulderhead

The list of other members that disappeared suddenly from frequent posting to nothing include FZ+, Mentat, Zero, while Kerrie, Pattylou, SOS2008, another god, Clausius2, Cronxeh, dextercioby, Pengwuino, apparently gradually minimized or terminated their activities, likely for other priorities.

What happened to all of them?

is there a way that their forum friends would not need to guess wildly. How about, for instance an extra data cell in the personal user CP, only visible for the "admins" where one could leave (e-mail) addresses, phone nrs of next of kin?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I think Mentat's mom was the reason for Mentat's disappearance. He was young and spending far too much time here.

Andre said:
So today Evo posted a very old thread of Tribdog (happy birthday) and one of the first posters in there was Njorl, who disappeared without a trace mid 2004. I remember him as a witty and clever poster and I would have liked very much to know why he was no longer there. Seeing the abrupt full stop after over 10 posts a day, obviously, the worst scenerio cannot be excluded, like the respected SelfAdjoint and Boulderhead
There was a big fight in P&WA with a lot of people beating up on him and he left. :frown: I loved Njorl, he was a riot.

The list of other members that disappeared suddenly from frequent posting to nothing include FZ+, Mentat, Zero, while Kerrie, Pattylou, SOS2008, another god, Clausius2, Cronxeh, dextercioby, Pengwuino, apparently gradually minimized or terminated their activities, likely for other priorities.
Kerrie had another baby and decided she no longer had enough time. Penqwuino got a girlfriend and got too busy. Clausius2 moved to CA for a while to pursue his degree, I've seen him pop in a couple of times. Dextercioby moved back home to his girlfriend and said he'd have little or no internet access.

is there a way that their forum friends would not need to guess wildly. How about, for instance an extra data cell in the personal user CP, only visible for the "admins" where one could leave (e-mail) addresses, phone nrs of next of kin?
People can list their website, their Instant Messaging info, e-mail address, etc...in their profile.

Ivan Seeking said:
I think Mentat's mom was the reason for Mentat's disappearance. He was young and spending far too much time here.

I could think of worse things a young person could be spending too much time with on the internet. :uhh:

I have contact with Clausius2, and I try to see him whenever I go to the west coast. He's very busy with his PhD research.

Thanks for clearing that all up.

Evo said:
People can list their website, their Instant Messaging info, e-mail address, etc...in their profile.

Certainly, but that might feel like infringing upon ones privacy. Besides, what point would it be, trying an e-mail address or web page of the owner is no longer around to reply?

What you'd need is a safe locker to stow away priviliged information like a phone nr or a snail maill address, only accessable by trusted ones and to be used only for this objective.

Kurdt said:
I could think of worse things a young person could be spending too much time with on the internet. :uhh:

Agreed, but his post rate was nearly legendary. He was probably neglecting his studies. And it's not healthy for anyone to engage in hostile debates all day every day - it was a lot wilder around here back then.

I've limited my own activity by making my point and getting out; or at least by keeping my debates limited to one or two threads for a finite period of time. I too got sucked in too much for a time. Now I just play hit and run all day. :biggrin:

Last edited:
Yes I would agree that's unhealthy. I think I'm old enough to remember the old days. In situations like that I tend not to get involved because I know I'll never return.

Whats the story on BoulderHead (sorry, never met or heard before.)

That always sucks. Thanks for answering.

If a member allows emails, anyone can send an email to them through PF. But, unless someone specifically specifies that we may contact them if they "disappear," I think it's best to respect their privacy and not try to contact them.

I think the better approach, which still respects one's privacy without leaving their forum buddies in the dark, is to let someone who knows you personally know that you have friends on this forum (or others) and provide the URL and your username so they will know to inform us if something should happen. I've been on other sites where people have done this. In one case, it was a member's son who posted about her passing away, and in another, her husband, and in a third, it was a friend who also posted on the same site who had become real life friends with a member who had passed away.

I think Patty was a parttimer. She had kids and such for real life responsibilities and I think alternated through various forums.

SOS I think got fed up or busy or something. I might be able to track her down but I wouldn't hold my breath.

Another one, Alexandria, has disappeared too. She was also busy with work and kids and I think she was intending to move away from Oz. I may have better luck getting ahold of her but I know that she had become rather disenchanted with the world in general and discussing just how bad it was.

Cronxeh was very cool, how about him?

1. How can I make myself traceable?

There are a few ways to make yourself traceable. One option is to use a GPS tracking device that can be attached to your person or belongings. Another option is to use a tracking app on your phone that allows you to share your location with others. Additionally, you can use a tracking service or software that utilizes your internet activity to trace your location.

2. Why would I want to make myself traceable?

Making yourself traceable can be useful for a variety of reasons. For example, if you are going on a solo hike or traveling to a new place, it can provide a sense of security knowing that someone can locate you if needed. It can also be helpful for parents to track their children's whereabouts or for employers to monitor their employees' location during work hours.

3. Is it safe to make myself traceable?

Like with any technology, there are risks associated with making yourself traceable. It is important to carefully research and choose a reliable tracking device or service to minimize potential risks. It is also important to be aware of the privacy implications and only share your location with trusted individuals or organizations.

4. Can I turn off my traceability?

Yes, most tracking devices and apps have options to turn off the traceability function. It is important to familiarize yourself with the specific device or app and its features to know how to turn off the tracking when desired. Additionally, you can adjust your internet privacy settings to limit the amount of traceable information.

5. Are there any legal implications of being traceable?

The laws and regulations surrounding traceability vary by country and state. It is important to research and understand the laws in your area before utilizing traceability technology. In some cases, consent from all parties involved may be required before using tracking devices or apps.

Back