Queens & Waterloo Physics Grad Program Insights

• Thread starter CaptainQuaser
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation is about comparing the physics graduate programs and social scenes at Queens and Waterloo universities. The speaker mentions that Waterloo's graduate student body is relatively small, but they are planning to increase it in the future. The other person suggests considering UofT, which has a strong graduate program. They also mention other universities outside of Ontario, such as Michigan State and Syracuse. The speaker shares their personal experience of choosing Queens for their PhD program based on the active university and happy grad students.
CaptainQuaser
Can any Queens or Waterloo graduate students give me any insight in the program and the social scene, and how the physics grad programs are at either of those schools.

Physics news on Phys.org
There aren't many grad students at Waterloo (only about 3000). Waterloo is currently planning to triple the grad student body, but that won't materialize in the close future. I can't say anything about Queens, though I know someone who is a physics grad student there, a of latest news at least (he used to come on this forum by the alias of 'Data', but he haven't seen him active in a while). I can try to put you in touch with him, P.M. me if you are interested. Otherwise, have you gotten offers or are you simply pondering over the question? If the latter, have you considered UofT? Their grad studies are the strongest in the country.

Waterloo's physics graduate program is split with Guelph's, not sure if you want that

U of T's grad program is really large

Have you looked at places outside Ontario? How about Michigan State or Syracuse?

I didn't look outside of Canada, perhaps for my PhD, after visiting the groups and the campus I decided on Queens, they seem to have a very active university in general, and the grad students I spoke to in the group I am joining seem very happy to be there.

1. What is the Queens & Waterloo Physics Grad Program?

The Queens & Waterloo Physics Grad Program is a collaborative graduate program between Queen's University and the University of Waterloo. It offers students the opportunity to pursue a Master's or PhD in Physics from both institutions, allowing for a diverse and comprehensive education.

2. What are the admission requirements for the program?

The admission requirements for the Queens & Waterloo Physics Grad Program vary depending on the specific degree and institution. Generally, a strong academic background in Physics or a related field is required, along with letters of recommendation, a statement of purpose, and GRE scores. It is recommended to check the specific requirements for the program you are interested in.

3. What research opportunities are available within the program?

The Queens & Waterloo Physics Grad Program offers a wide range of research opportunities in various fields of physics, including astrophysics, biophysics, condensed matter physics, and quantum information. Students have the opportunity to work with faculty members from both institutions, allowing for a diverse and interdisciplinary research experience.

4. Are there any financial aid or scholarship opportunities for students in the program?

Both Queen's University and the University of Waterloo offer financial aid and scholarship opportunities for graduate students in the Physics program. These may include research assistantships, teaching assistantships, and scholarships based on academic merit. It is recommended to check with the institutions for specific opportunities and eligibility requirements.

5. What are the career prospects for graduates of the Queens & Waterloo Physics Grad Program?

Graduates of the Queens & Waterloo Physics Grad Program are well-equipped for a variety of career paths, including research and development, academia, and industry. The program provides students with a strong foundation in physics and the skills necessary for critical thinking, problem-solving, and data analysis, making them valuable assets in any field. Many graduates also go on to pursue further education in physics or related fields.