Volume Integrals of a sphere

In summary: Hi Davio! :smile:In summary, spherical polar coordinates allow you to cover a circle with an arbitrary angle, but only go from pi to pi.
Davio
Hey guys, could one of you explain why when doing a volume integral using spherical polar coordinates, you have the limits as 2 pi to 0 on phi but only pi to 0 on theta? Thanks.

To clarify, I've been doing this all this time for questions, but it just occurred to me that I Don't know why i do that :-p.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Hi Davio! :smile:

(Of course, you can't go from o to 2π on both, because then you'd be covering every point twice!)

Well, you can always do it the other way round … but the integrals that usually occur in practice just happen to be symmetric in phi, so integrating from 0 to 2π on phi is dead easy! :biggrin:

In particular, if you're converting from (x,y,z), then you get ∫∫∫(r^2)sinthetadrdthetadphi … and that itself is symmetric in phi, so with luck the whole thing immediately becomes 2π∫∫r^2)sinthetadrdtheta. :smile:

Hmmm, but wouldn't it be, for both phi and theta, just pi to zero - ie. half each? Or am imagining this wrong :-p. R is radius, so integrating along that place, in a circle, theta and phi are both angles, just in different directions? My maths is a bit poor (not good for a physics major)!

Hi, Davio!

Take a line segment from the centre of the ball to its surface. That line segment makes the angle theta with the "z"-axis.

In order to reach ALL points on the circle with the same angle to the "xy"-plane, you rotate the line segment around the z-axis, with phi then going from 0 to 2pi.

Now, you will have covered ALL these circles (and hence all points) for theta-values going from 0 (i.e, the line segment runs along the positive z-half axis) to pi, (i.e along the negative half axis for z)

… don't ignore America …

Yup, arildno is right!

Start with a very long string, fixed at the North pole. Take the other end down the Greenwich meridian from theta = 0 to π. Now you're at the South pole.

So far so good … :smile:

Now sweep the string round from phi = 0 to π. You'll cover most of Europe and Africa and the whole of Asia and Australia.

But you'll stop at the International Date Line!

:rolleyes: What about America? :rolleyes:

One simple way to see it. Latitude goes from -90 to 90, while longitude goes from -180 to 180.

It's those blasted physicists again! They keep swapping [itex]\theta[/itex] and [itex]\phi[/itex] on us!

I'm going to sit down and think about the replies in a minute, I'm on to a question about conical cones now, does anyone have any good resources for understand the images behind integration? I can integrate etc, but can't quite understand the limits of weird shapes, or even normal shapes!

… painting problem …

Hi Davio! :smile:

Do you mean comical cones?

Now, they are weird! :biggrin:

But keep this in perspective … this isn't an integration problem … it's only a painting problem.

Imagine you have to program a robot to paint a sphere … do you tell it to paint from 0 to π, or 2π, for each coordinate?

If you give it the wrong instructions, it'll either waste paint or not use enough! :frown:

That's your only problem … making sure that everything is covered which should be! :smile:

1. What is a volume integral of a sphere?

A volume integral of a sphere is a mathematical technique used to calculate the total volume enclosed by a sphere. It involves dividing the sphere into infinitesimally small sections and summing up their volumes to find the total volume.

2. How is a volume integral of a sphere calculated?

To calculate a volume integral of a sphere, you will need to integrate the function representing the sphere's radius with respect to the variables of the sphere's coordinates. This can be done using various integration techniques, such as spherical coordinates or triple integrals.

3. What are some real-world applications of volume integrals of a sphere?

Volume integrals of a sphere have various applications in real-world scenarios, such as calculating the volume of a spherical tank, finding the mass distribution of a spherical object, or determining the volume of a planet or star.

4. Can a volume integral of a sphere be negative?

No, a volume integral of a sphere cannot be negative. This is because a volume is a physical quantity that cannot have a negative value. If a volume integral of a sphere yields a negative value, it indicates an error in the calculation or an incorrect choice of coordinates.

5. How do the boundaries of a volume integral of a sphere affect the result?

The boundaries of a volume integral of a sphere are crucial in determining the final result. Changing the boundaries will result in a different volume calculation, as the integration will be performed over a different region. Therefore, it is essential to carefully choose the boundaries to accurately calculate the volume of a sphere.