How many traces observed in Stern-Gerlach?

In summary, the conversation discusses a question on a Stern Gerlach experiment involving different atoms. The question asks how many traces would be observed on the plate if helium or boron (with 2 L-S coupled states) were used instead of hydrogen. The answer is that the number of traces is (2j+1), where j is the angular state of the atom. The conversation also mentions that this is a 10-mark question and discusses possible combinations of traces for boron.
iori_uk
I am struggling with an Atoms and Nuclei past paper question, if someone can help please.

In a Stern Gerlach experiment, how many traces on the plate would be observed if instead of hydrogen a)helium b)boron (atomic number 5), are used? [Hint: Boron will exist in 2L-S coupled states]

I have no idea how to approach this problem. The previous part of the question asked to calculate the gap between the traces observed on the plate which is well known to be two traces, same for silver and other electrons with one electron in the outershell. The two traces problem I would do, but not the one I've mentioned above. Can someone help?

Physics news on Phys.org
The number of traces is (2j+1), where j is the angular state of the atom.

Hmmm as simple as that? It's just that its a whole 10 mark Question...

Hi, Thanks Pam for your reply, much appreciated.

I've tried to do the question I mentioned in the 1st post and get 1 trace for helium (L=0 , S=0 , J=L+S=0). But for Boron , as it has 2 L-S coupled states I get J=1/2 (2 traces) or J=3/4 (4 traces).

Which one or a combination of the number of traces will it be for Boron I'm wondering...

What is the Stern-Gerlach experiment?

The Stern-Gerlach experiment is a classic experiment in quantum mechanics that demonstrates the quantum property of spin. It involves passing a beam of particles through a magnetic field gradient, which causes the particles to be deflected based on their spin orientation.

How many traces are typically observed in the Stern-Gerlach experiment?

In the original Stern-Gerlach experiment, two traces were observed - one for particles with spin aligned with the magnetic field and one for particles with spin opposite to the magnetic field. However, with more sensitive equipment, multiple traces can be observed due to the quantum property of spin having multiple possible orientations.

Why are there multiple traces observed in the Stern-Gerlach experiment?

The multiple traces observed in the Stern-Gerlach experiment are a result of the quantized nature of spin. This means that particles can only have certain discrete values of spin, resulting in multiple possible orientations and therefore multiple traces.

What is a trace in the context of the Stern-Gerlach experiment?

In the Stern-Gerlach experiment, a trace refers to the path that a particle takes after passing through the magnetic field gradient. The location of the trace on the detection screen corresponds to the orientation of the particle's spin.

How does the number of traces observed in the Stern-Gerlach experiment relate to the number of possible spin orientations?

The number of traces observed in the Stern-Gerlach experiment is directly related to the number of possible spin orientations. For example, if there are four possible spin orientations, four traces will be observed on the detection screen. This is a manifestation of the quantized nature of spin in quantum mechanics.