AP Physics B Test Packet Assistance

In summary, the conversation is about a student preparing for an AP Physics B test by completing a previous year's multiple choice section. The student has managed to work through 80% of it with ease, but is struggling with the remaining questions and is seeking help from others. The questions involve various physics material, including calculating final speeds, electric potential and fields, energy, and orbits. The student has not attempted these questions yet and is looking for guidance.
Hip Hypocrite
In preparations for the AP Physics B test, my physics teacher has assigned our class a previous years AP multiple choice section test. I've managed to work through 80% of it with little difficulty, I've just gotten to the questions where I have no clue to how to answer. If I am allowed, I am going to post the questions which I haven't been able to answer, verbatim. I'd appreciate it if anyone who knew the answer could please tell me the correct answer and how to arrive at it.Some of the questions are into to physics material, but most of them lay in the advanced physics. I would appreciate any help in this. :)

9.An empty sled of mass M moves without friction across a frozen pond at speed Vo. Two objects are dropped vertically into the sled one at a time: First an object of mass m and then an object of mass 2m. Afterward the sled moves with speed Vf. What would the final speed of the sled be if the objects were dropped into it in reverse order?
A)Vf/3 B)Vf/2 C)Vf D)2Vf E)3Vf

18.The operating efficiency of a .5A, 120V electric motor that lifts a 9kg mass against gravity at an average velocity of .5m/s is most nearly
A)7% B)13% C)25% D)53% E)75%

39.A spring scale calibrated in kilograms is used to determine the density of a rock specimen. The reading on the spring scale is 0.45 kg when the specimen is suspended in air and 0.36kg when the specimen is fully submerged in water. If the density of water is 1000 kg/m^3, the density of the rock specimen is
A)200 B)800 C)1250 D)4000 E)5000

43.A simple pendulum and a mass hanging on a spring both have a period of 1s when set into small oscillatory motion on Earth. They are taken to planet X, which has the same diameter as Earth but twice the mass. Which of the following statements is true about the periods of the two objects on planet X compared to their periods on Earth?
A)Both are shorter B)Both are the same C)Both are longer D)The period of the mass on the spring is shorter,; that of the pendulum is the same E)The period of the pendulum is shorter; that of the mass on the spring is the same

Two large, flat, parallel, conducting plates are .04m apart, as shown above. The lower play is at a potential difference of 2V with respects to the ground, the upper play is at a potential difference of 10V with respects to the round. Point P is located .01 m above the lower plate.
45.The electric potential at point P is
A)10V B)8v C)6V D)4V E)2V

46.The magnitude of the electric field at point P is
A)800 B)600 C)400 D)200 E)100

58.When B^10 is bombarded by neutrons, a neutron can be absorbed and an alpha particle(He^4) emitted. If the B^10 target is stationary, the kinetic energy of the reaction products is equal to the
A)kinetic energy of the incident neutron B)Total energy of the incident neutron C)Energy equivalent of the mass decrease in the reaction D)Energy equivalent of the mass decrease in the reaction, minus the kinetic energy of the incident neutron E)Energy equivalent of the mass decrease in the reaction, plus the kinetic energy of the incident neutron

60.A 50,000W radio station transmits waves of wavelength 4m. Which of the following is the best estimate of the number of photons it emitts per second?
A)10^8 B)10^22 C)10^30 D)^40 E)10^56

*Image of a circular loop of wire with a horizontal axis through its diameter, with an upward(in regards to the page) electric field*
64.A wire loop is roatated in a uniform magnetic field about an axis perpendicular to the field. How many times is the induced current in the loop reversed if the loop makes 3 complete revolutions from the position shown.
A-1 B-2 C-3 D-6 E-12

67.A satellite of mass m and speed v moves in a stable, circular orbit around a planet of mass M. What is the radius of the satellite's orbit?
A)GM/mv B)Gv/mM C)GM/v^2 D) GmM/v E)GmM/v^2

70.A hollow metal sphere 1.0 m in diameter carries a charge of 4.0 μC. The electric field at a distance of 2.0m from the center is most nearly
A)9000N/C B)18000 N/C C)24000N/C D)36000 N/C E)140000N/C

65.A particle of charge Q and mass m is accelerated from rest through a potential difference V, attaining a kinetic energy K. What is the kinetic energy of a particle of charge 2Q and mass m/2 that is accelerated from rest through the same potential difference?
A)K/4 B)K/2 C)K D)2K E)4K

63.Two blocks of masses M and 2M initially travel at the same speed v but in opposite directions. They collide and stick together. How much mechanical energy is lost to other forms of energy during the collision?
A)Zero B)1/2Mv^2 C)3/4Mv^2 D)4/3Mv^2 E)3/2Mv^2

69.A positively charged particle moves to the right without deflection through a pair of charged plates. Between the plates are a uniform electric field E of magnitude 6.0 N/C directed downward and a uniform magnetic field B of magnitude 2.0T directed downward through the page. The speed of the particle is most nearly
A).33 m/s B).66 m/s C)3.0 m/s D)12 m/s E)18 m/s

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to the forums. Please note that for homework/coursework type questions you are required to show some work before we can help you. So, which question would you like to start on? Have you had an attempt at any of them?

Also, note I've moved this to intro physics.

cristo said:
Welcome to the forums. Please note that for homework/coursework type questions you are required to show some work before we can help you. So, which question would you like to start on? Have you had an attempt at any of them?

Also, note I've moved this to intro physics.
I've already gotten most of the packet(90 questions) completed, with either correct or what I believe to be correct answers. My only problem with these are I just don't know where to start, or I just don't have the correct formulas. We weren't given any material for this, and many of the questions were just basic overviews of the subjects they were pertaining to. But, for the sake of the forum's guidelines, I'll post whatever work I can find on these questions.

9.My first guess to this is C since the sled moves on a frictionless track. My reasoning is because the total end mass is the same, which should yield the same speed. My only problem with this is that I've seen this problem before, and that reasoning was proven wrong, so I'm not entirely conclusive about this.

18.I'm familiar with electric currents and mechanical engines, but I don't have any formulas that connect the two for this problem.

39.Another concept I'm familiar with(i.e. I have a page of notes on) however I can't recall a single class that compares spring weights to density, even though if I spent a few hours I could manage something.

43.My guess would be A since the only difference is the value of g, but like the sled, this problem has appeared before to be a trick question, leading me to second guess myself.

45.No idea, whatsoever.

46.I could answer this question quite easily, the only problem is that it depends on the answer to 45, which I'm at a loss for.

58...*Curls up in a ball*

60.Our class hasn't even mentioned photons, so I have no clue here.

64.?

67.I have all the gravitational formulas for this, but the only problem is that I'm missing a certain variable in order to use algebra to find r. if anyone knows the correct formula, please fill me in.

70.?

65.?

63.I think it is A, but my trick question alarm is ringing in the back of my head.

69.See 58

18.I'm familiar with electric currents and mechanical engines, but I don't have any formulas that connect the two for this problem.
Find a definition for efficiency, which can be expressed as the ratio of (work output)/(energy input), or it could be (rate of work output)/(rate of energy input), where rate of energy/work is power.

What is the rate of electrical power?

What is the rate of work in lifting "9kg mass against gravity at an average velocity of .5m/s".
Hint: force * distance = work/energy, and force * (distance/time) = power.

I'd suggest starting at the top and work down.

funny story.

I got the same assignment. our teacher didn't really teach this year. she didn't even cover electricity/protons/charges/etc, which is about 1/3 of the test

I could only answer 26 of the 70 questions. And I have always considered myself a good student, especially in the physics area before this year.

Does anyone have the formulas for any of the problems mentioned above? I know how to figure them if I have a formula.

infeatheredey said:
Does anyone have the formulas for any of the problems mentioned above? I know how to figure them if I have a formula.
I don't think this is the best way for you to go about these problems. Why not start your own thread and go through the questions, one at a time, listing what you know about each one, and what formulae you have encountered in class?

Also, please read the PF guidelines, especially regarding the homework forums.

1. What is an AP Physics B Test Packet?

An AP Physics B Test Packet is a collection of multiple-choice and free-response questions that cover a wide range of topics in physics. It is designed to assess students' understanding of fundamental concepts and their ability to apply them to solve problems. This test is typically taken by high school students at the end of an AP Physics B course.

2. How can I get assistance with my AP Physics B Test Packet?

There are various resources available for students to get assistance with their AP Physics B Test Packet. These include review books, online practice tests, study groups, and review sessions offered by teachers or tutors. It is important to start studying early and seek help from reliable sources to ensure success on the test.

3. What topics are covered in the AP Physics B Test Packet?

The test covers topics such as mechanics, electricity and magnetism, thermodynamics, waves and optics, and modern physics. Some of the specific concepts that may be tested include kinematics, Newton's laws of motion, work and energy, electric circuits, and atomic and nuclear physics. It is important to review all these topics thoroughly before taking the test.

4. How is the AP Physics B Test Packet scored?

The AP Physics B Test Packet is scored on a scale of 1-5, with 5 being the highest score. Multiple-choice questions are scored based on the number of correct answers, and there is no penalty for incorrect responses. Free-response questions are scored based on the quality and accuracy of the solutions. The overall score is a combination of both multiple-choice and free-response scores.

5. How can I prepare for the AP Physics B Test Packet?

To prepare for the AP Physics B Test Packet, it is recommended to review all the topics covered in the course. Practice tests and review materials are also helpful in familiarizing yourself with the format and types of questions that may be asked. It is also important to practice solving problems and to seek help from teachers or tutors if needed.