Linearity of Heat Conductance - Is Heat Transfer the Same in All Directions?

In summary, the heat transfer question is a bit confusing, but you can use the linearity assumption to calculate the total heat transferred.
Yoni
Heat conductance - linear?

Hello forum friends,

I have stumbled upon the fallowing heat conduction problem:
Consider a heat source of constant power embedded inside a solid with a constant heat capacity and conductance. Around the source is a box with a constant temperature, which cools the source.
My question is: If the box is a cube, can I conclude that each side contributes equally to the cooling? If I had just one side (out of 6) could I conclude 1/6 cooling?
However if the box is not a cube. Two opposite sides are pulled 2 times further off, can I conclude a cooling of 1/2 about these sides?

Is heat conductance in two or three dimensions a linear problem?

Science news on Phys.org
Hi Yoni,
Yoni said:
If the box is a cube, can I conclude that each side contributes equally to the cooling? If I had just one side (out of 6) could I conclude 1/6 cooling?

Yes, but it wouldn't be much help in figuring out the answer. You'd have to model conduction in a pyramid, where the base is the original side of the cube and the other sides are adiabatic.
Yoni said:
However if the box is not a cube. Two opposite sides are pulled 2 times further off, can I conclude a cooling of 1/2 about these sides?

No, because 3-D conduction is not merely a function of that single dimension.

I don't recall the solution for the geometry you describe, but you can probably find one in one of the handbooks for conduction heat transfer.

Hello,
The fallowing question is troubling me, and I need to fully understand it before I go forth with my experiment:
Is 3-D transfer of heat by conduction linear?

Consider a point in space which is heated. The heated source is r1 distance from a cooling source (which cools by convection), and r2 distance from a second cooling source.
The heat transfer equation: [ dQ/dt = h*dT/dx ] predicts the transfer of heat from one source to the other as a function of the temperature gradient.
So if I calculate the dQ/dt from one cooling source, and the dQ/dt of the other, can I conclude that the total transfer of heat is the sum?
If not, why? Is it because of the transfer of heat between the two cooling sources? Can I neglect this?

I'd appreciate any help,
Yoni

P.S please do not move this to a "homework forum", this is a basic question.

You can assume that the process is linear, as long no coefficients or material properties in your equations are functions of temperature. For example, [itex]h\frac{dT}{dx}[/itex] is linear as long as h isn't a function of temperature. In practice, this means that the temperature difference should be small.

But note that this is a slightly different question from that in your post https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=236917" from yesterday. You can't calculate heat transfer results from two differently sized cubes, add them together, and expect to get the correct results for a rectangular box.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for your help. I have the solution a single tranfer of heat betwin a source and one cooling spot. Since I don't expect the heat coefficient to be dependent on temperature, I understand I can just sum the contributions of all cooling spot to get the over all cooling of the source.
Best to all of you...

1. What is linearity of heat conductance?

Linearity of heat conductance refers to the property of a material or system to have a linear relationship between the amount of heat transferred and the temperature gradient across it. This means that the rate of heat transfer remains constant regardless of the temperature difference.

2. Why is linearity of heat conductance important?

Linearity of heat conductance is important because it allows for accurate predictions and calculations of heat transfer in various materials and systems. It also allows for simplification of complex heat transfer problems.

3. How is linearity of heat conductance measured?

Linearity of heat conductance is typically measured using the Fourier's law of heat conduction, which states that the amount of heat transferred per unit time is directly proportional to the temperature gradient across the material and the cross-sectional area through which heat is transferred.

4. What factors can affect the linearity of heat conductance?

The linearity of heat conductance can be affected by various factors such as the material's thermal conductivity, density, and specific heat capacity. Other factors include the temperature difference, surface roughness, and the presence of impurities or defects in the material.

5. Can the linearity of heat conductance be violated?

Yes, the linearity of heat conductance can be violated if the material or system experiences high temperatures, extreme pressure, or non-uniform temperature distribution. In these cases, the rate of heat transfer may not remain constant, and the material's behavior may deviate from linearity.