Linear algebra question (using braket notation).

In summary, the conversation discusses proving the equation A|v>=<A>I|v>+\delta A|u> where A is a Hermitian operator and <A>=<v|A|v>,\delta A= A-<A>I. It is mentioned that <u|v>=0 and that the completeness relation is |u><u| + |v><v| = 1 since u and v form an orthonormal basis. The conversation also mentions that there is an error in the original argument and provides a corrected version using the properties of Hermitian operators.
MathematicalPhysicist
Gold Member
the question:

Let {|u>,|v>} be a basis for a linear space, suppose that <u|v>=0, then prove that:
[tex]A|v>=<A>I|v>+\delta A|u>[/tex]
where, A is hermitian operator, and [tex]<A>=<v|A|v>,\delta A= A-<A>I[/tex]
where I is the identity operator.

my attempt at solution:
basically, from the definitions i need to prove that [tex]\delta A|u>=\delta A|v>[/tex]
now, obviously <A>=<v|A|v>=[tex]\int du <v|u><u|A|v>[/tex]=0
cause <u|v> equals zero, so we actually need to prove that A|u>=A|v>
but A|u>=u|u> where u is the eigenvalue of |u>, then if we multiply it by <u| we get:
<u|A|u>=u (i guess that |u> and |v> are normalised), but from the same assertion as above we get that <u|A|u>=0 and so u=0, and so is v=0, so we get that A|u>=A|v>=0.
is this correct or totally mamabo jambo as i think?

Physics news on Phys.org
Oh no there is something wrong in your argument. The vector u is orthogonal to v, it is a specific vector. When you invoke completeness you are summing over all vectors, and not just the ones orthogonal to v. It is not true that <A> = 0.

The completeness relation in this problem is

[tex]|u><u| + |v><v| = 1[/tex] since u and v form an orthonormal basis.

And you can say that also since they are a basis that there exists complex numbers [itex]\alpha, \beta[/itex] such that

[tex]A|v> = \alpha |u> + \beta |v>[/tex]

It is very easy to show that

[tex]\beta = <A>[/tex]

And then you're left with the other term, and maybe there the completeness relation is helpful.

It's easy to find an example that contradicts the assertion that you're trying to prove. If fact, since

[tex]
A \left| v \right> = \left< A \right> \left| v \right> + \delta A \left| u \right>
[/tex]

is equivalent to

[tex]
A \left| v \right> - \left< A \right> \left| v \right> = \delta A \left| u \right>
[/tex]

and, from the given,

[tex]
A \left| v \right> - \left< A \right> \left| v \right> = \left( A - \left< A \right> I \right) \left| v \right> = \delta A \left| v \right>,
[/tex]

so your assertion is true iff [itex]\delta A \left| v\right> = \delta A \left| u \right>[/itex].

Maybe you're actually trying to prove the trivial

[tex]
A \left| v \right> = \left< A \right> \left| v \right> + \delta A \left| v \right>
[/tex].

Last edited:
George Jones said:
so your assertion is true iff [itex]\delta A \left| v\right> = \delta A \left| u \right>[/itex].

Oops, I see that you already know this.

Cleary,the equations [itex]A \left| u \right> = \left| u \right>[/itex] and [itex]A \left| v \right> = 0[/itex] define a unique Hermitian operator [itex]A[/itex]. Now,

[tex]
\left< A \right> = 0
[/tex]

[tex]
\delta A = A
[/tex].

Therefore,

[tex]
\delta A \left| u \right> = A \left| u \right> = \left| u \right>
[/tex]

[tex]
\delta A \left| v \right> = A \left| v \right> = 0.
[/tex]

Last edited:
well i think that delta A is zero, becasue delta A is: sqrt(<v|A^2|v>-<A>^2) (and not an operator as i first thought)
and:
<v|A^2|v>=beta^2
cause A is hermitian (becasue we know that hermitian matrices can always be diagonalize, by lagrange method of squaring) then A|v>=v|v> where v is its eigenvalue, and A|u>=u|u>
from here its obvious that: <v|A|v>=v and <v|A|u>=<u|A|v>=0, and thus we get what we need.

is my reasoning correct?

1. What is braket notation in linear algebra?

Braket notation, also known as Dirac notation, is a mathematical notation used to represent linear algebraic expressions, particularly those involving vectors and matrices. It uses kets and bras, which are denoted by the symbols | and <, respectively, to represent vectors and dual vectors.

2. How is braket notation used to represent inner products?

In braket notation, the inner product between two vectors |u> and |v> is represented as <u|v>. This notation is equivalent to the dot product in traditional vector notation, but it can also be used to represent more complex inner products, such as those involving complex numbers or matrices.

3. What are the advantages of using braket notation in linear algebra?

Braket notation has several advantages over traditional vector notation. It allows for a more concise and compact representation of linear algebraic expressions, making it easier to write and understand complex equations. It also allows for a more elegant and general representation of mathematical concepts, such as inner products and linear transformations.

4. Can braket notation be used in other fields of science?

Yes, braket notation is widely used in various fields of science, including quantum mechanics, quantum computing, and signal processing. It provides a powerful and versatile tool for representing and manipulating mathematical expressions, making it useful in many areas of research and application.

5. How can I learn more about braket notation and its applications?

There are many resources available for learning about braket notation and its applications, including textbooks, online tutorials, and video lectures. Some recommended resources include "Quantum Computation and Quantum Information" by Michael Nielsen and Isaac Chuang, and the "Quantum Computing" course on Coursera by Umesh Vazirani. It is also helpful to practice using braket notation in solving various linear algebra problems.