No Chat Sunday: Sorry Folks I'm Away

• Thread starter Greg Bernhardt
  • Start date
In summary, the chat is still up, but Greg is probably sleeping and will leave chat open late today to make up for it.
sorry folks, I'll be gone most of sunday so no chat

Physics news on Phys.org

:frown: You could always turn it on Saturday and leave it open until Monday. :biggrin:

:uhh: Oh, wait, I have to start work early on Monday, so that might not be a good idea. Drat!

Is this secretly because people aren't really allowed to have fun without Evo around?

Shame... Evo should be back on Sunday, though (hopefully!)

I haven't been on chat in ages. My computers goes so slow, and then I just get out of sync and all the fun slowly drains away. I will make it my duty to attend next weeks though!

Mwahaha! I have a test next week so I wasn't planning on chat this sunday.
But I'll be here next next sunday. :biggrin:

How does one participate in chat here? I hadn't heard of this before...

Ms Music said:
How does one participate in chat here? I hadn't heard of this before...

We have a chat every sunday from 10am-4pm CST. There is a link provided when open, you can't miss it.

Is it this Sunday though?

_Mayday_ said:
Is it this Sunday though?

I haven't heard anything, so presume chat is still on. Greg's probably still sleeping :zzz:

He only canceled last week's chat. He's probably asleep, which means he will leave chat open late today to make up for it. Right Greg? :smile: o:)

I can't stay for long these days, my computer hates the internet and chat. =(

:cry: I was just getting settled into enjoying chat, and I lost my internet. For those of you wondering about my abrupt exit, it wasn't by choice. A thunderstorm quickly went from rumbling in the distance to hitting something VERY close by. Cable and internet went out and they JUST got it restored. Still waiting for water to come back on...broken water line up in the houses behind me. It has been such a BORING afternoon. :frown: When the cable went out, I figured I'd just relax and finish the book I was reading until it came back on. Finished the book, cable still wasn't back. Then decided to do a little work, though I didn't really want to spend this weekend working. But, since there wasn't much else to do, got that done. Once I was done with the work I had brought home with me, still no cable, so figured I'd get some laundry done. That's when I discovered the water was down to a trickle...about the time I saw the truck from the water company with the backhoe on a trailer pulling up the road behind me. So, I couldn't get online, couldn't watch TV, didn't have another book to read, didn't have any more work to do, and couldn't even clean, and everything is sopping wet outside from the torrential downpour that came with the thunderstorm, so not even going to go for a walk or anything. Bleh.

Did make me laugh about the message on the cable company's phone while I was on hold, trying to sell their package for cable, internet AND phone. :rofl: Yeah, just what I want, when the cable and internet are both out, I really want my phone to go out at the same time. :rolleyes:

That stinks, Moonie! My phone company wants me to buy satellite TV (they don't run cable out here) with bundled broadband, etc. They have NO clue how to market to people in places with low population densities and tenuous access to AC. I have a copper-pair landline with a prepaid cell for emergencies.

For some reason, the chat app was booting me about every 5 minutes or so, and it was getting frustrating in the extreme. For anybody with insight, I'm running the newest build of FF with the latest Java client, etc.

Moonbear said:
:cry: I was just getting settled into enjoying chat, and I lost my internet. For those of you wondering about my abrupt exit, it wasn't by choice. A thunderstorm quickly went from rumbling in the distance to hitting something VERY close by. Cable and internet went out and they JUST got it restored. Still waiting for water to come back on...broken water line up in the houses behind me. It has been such a BORING afternoon. :frown: When the cable went out, I figured I'd just relax and finish the book I was reading until it came back on. Finished the book, cable still wasn't back. Then decided to do a little work, though I didn't really want to spend this weekend working. But, since there wasn't much else to do, got that done. Once I was done with the work I had brought home with me, still no cable, so figured I'd get some laundry done. That's when I discovered the water was down to a trickle...about the time I saw the truck from the water company with the backhoe on a trailer pulling up the road behind me. So, I couldn't get online, couldn't watch TV, didn't have another book to read, didn't have any more work to do, and couldn't even clean, and everything is sopping wet outside from the torrential downpour that came with the thunderstorm, so not even going to go for a walk or anything. Bleh.

Did make me laugh about the message on the cable company's phone while I was on hold, trying to sell their package for cable, internet AND phone. :rofl: Yeah, just what I want, when the cable and internet are both out, I really want my phone to go out at the same time. :rolleyes:
I was wondering where you went!

What awful luck! I SWEAR I was nowhere near you. Really!

Happy that you are restored. Luckily my DSL has a free dial up account and I also have a wireless broadband card if all else fails. Unfortunately, I have a desktop computer, so no electricty is a problem. I promised the Evo Child I would use my "points" to get her a laptop. Oh yeah, I need to do that. Soon.

Evo said:
I was wondering where you went!

What awful luck! I SWEAR I was nowhere near you. Really!
Yep, when both the cable and water went out due to two unrelated reasons on the same day, I immediately thought of you. :rofl:

Happy that you are restored. Luckily my DSL has a free dial up account and I also have a wireless broadband card if all else fails. Unfortunately, I have a desktop computer, so no electricty is a problem. I promised the Evo Child I would use my "points" to get her a laptop. Oh yeah, I need to do that. Soon.

Yep, water came back on about an hour ago, so I'm all back to fully operational, now that it's nearly bedtime. Sort of defeats the purpose of having a laptop when the internet access requires electricity too, so if I lose electric, I'm still out of luck. I keep saying I should subscribe to some cheap dial-up just for such occasions, but never do (it's hard to justify it to myself the other months of the year when there aren't any thunderstorms to knock out cable or power).

This one came pretty out of the blue. When I started chatting, it was a beautiful, sunny day. Then I heard some rumblings in the distance, and the first sign of the storm getting closer was the LOUD crack that sounded like it hit something very close, and the cable went out with it. It hadn't even started raining yet when the lightning started. Poor Ember ran and hid under the bed because the house was shaking with each rumble of thunder (she doesn't usually get scared or hide during storms, but she did this time, as the holes in the shirt I was wearing when I picked her up from under the dining room table between the first and second loud crack of thunder can help prove...apparently I'm not safe enough for her).

Wow, you seem to have taken over in the "freak storm" category!

At least you found something to do, I would have been climbing the walls.

Evo said:
Wow, you seem to have taken over in the "freak storm" category!
You can have your title back! I don't want it, really. :bugeye:

At least you found something to do, I would have been climbing the walls.

Hmm...climbing walls, now that's something. :biggrin: It was just lucky I took some work home in my computer bag, because I really hadn't planned on doing it, just didn't take the papers out of the bag when I left work on Thursday. I was getting stir crazy when I ran out of reading material and work to do. That's when I wandered out to the deck just to stand there and watch the backhoe unloading on the street behind me (I didn't get the cushions off the chairs with the sudden downpour, so couldn't actually sit on anything out there), and ran into a few other neighbors doing the same, all pretty bored. Once Ember came back out from under the bed, she got lots of play time.

1. What is "No Chat Sunday: Sorry Folks I'm Away"?

"No Chat Sunday: Sorry Folks I'm Away" is a weekly event where I, as a scientist, will be away from my computer and unable to chat on a designated day. This is to allow me to focus on my research and experiments without any distractions.

2. Why is "No Chat Sunday" necessary?

As a scientist, my work requires a lot of concentration and focus. By designating a day where I am away from my computer and unable to chat, I am able to fully immerse myself in my work and make progress on my projects without any interruptions.

3. How often will "No Chat Sunday" occur?

"No Chat Sunday" will occur once a week, every Sunday. This allows for a consistent schedule and also gives me a break from constant communication and screen time.

4. Can I still reach out to you on "No Chat Sunday" for urgent matters?

I kindly ask that you refrain from reaching out to me on "No Chat Sunday" unless it is an urgent matter that cannot wait until the following day. This will ensure that I am able to fully disconnect and recharge for the week ahead.

5. Will "No Chat Sunday" affect your availability for the rest of the week?

No, "No Chat Sunday" will not affect my availability for the rest of the week. I will still be reachable and responsive during my regular work hours on Monday through Saturday.