Use of computers in chemical engineering

In summary, chemical and petroleum engineers use computers and other electronic devices extensively in their work, including for tasks such as simulating, calculating, optimizing, and data analysis. Some jobs may involve more mechanical work, but this is a career choice and not a limitation of knowledge.
nabeel89
I have a passion for computers/ electronics, but i am going for either chemical or petroleum engineering. I want to ask how much do chemical and petroleum engineers use computers and other electronic devices for their work ?

I don't want to do something which involves most of mechanical work. Is my knowledge limited??

thanx...

Engineering news on Phys.org
I'm a chemical process engineer, and I use the computer every day. I make computer models of big chemical factories, I sometimes run detailed simulations of parts of the factory (reactors, separation columns, other pieces of equipment).

My work does not include control systems, but that's even harder to simulate... and always it is simulated before it is built in real.

And then when it is built in real, the control systems are again hooked up to computers. Somebody must write the software, somebody must attach wiring to all the sensors (thermometers, flow meters, pressure meters, chromatographs and other composition-analysis tools).

Of course there are jobs in chemical engineering and petroleum engineering that are totally without computers. But this is a career choice. Nobody is going to force you to walk around in an overall on a site fixing stuff if you rather program stuff or solder some wiring. :D

The answer is a bit late - I only recently joined this forum. Hope it helps.

I am a senior chemical engineering student, and I use computers for simulating, calculating, optimizing all the time (homework and internships). As a chemical engineer you do a lot of data analysis as well, which requires computers. Excel is your friend.

nabeel89 said:
I have a passion for computers/ electronics, but i am going for either chemical or petroleum engineering. I want to ask how much do chemical and petroleum engineers use computers and other electronic devices for their work ?

I don't want to do something which involves most of mechanical work. Is my knowledge limited??

thanx...

Lots of simulation programmers out there however this usually a lot of math and computer programming knowledge - e.g. Physical Chemistry.

What is the role of computers in chemical engineering?

Computers play a crucial role in chemical engineering by aiding in the design, simulation, and optimization of chemical processes. They also assist in data analysis, process control, and equipment monitoring.

How are computers used in chemical engineering research?

Computers are used in chemical engineering research to model complex chemical reactions and processes, analyze large amounts of data, and develop new and improved methods for process control and optimization.

What are the benefits of using computers in chemical engineering?

The use of computers in chemical engineering brings numerous benefits such as increased efficiency and accuracy in process design and optimization, cost savings, and improved safety by reducing the need for manual monitoring and control.

What software programs are commonly used in chemical engineering?

Some commonly used software programs in chemical engineering include process simulation software (e.g. Aspen Plus, CHEMCAD), data analysis and visualization software (e.g. MATLAB, Python), and process control software (e.g. DCS, SCADA).

How has the use of computers in chemical engineering evolved over time?

The use of computers in chemical engineering has evolved significantly over time, from basic process simulation and control to more advanced applications such as artificial intelligence and machine learning. Computers have also become more powerful and accessible, allowing for more complex and accurate simulations and analysis.