Finding AB & BA: Can It Be Done?

• Thread starter roam
  • Start date
In summary: Good luck!In summary, the conversation discusses the computation of AB and BA, with the conclusion that both can be computed. It then moves on to discussing the matrix R_{\theta} and finding R_{\theta}R_{-\theta} by simplifying the entries of R_{-\theta}. The correct simplifications are cos(-theta) = cos(theta) and sin(-theta) = -sin(theta), leading to the final steps of multiplying the two matrices to find R_{\theta}R_{-\theta}. The conversation ends with the hope that the problem can be solved with the given clues.
roam

(a) Let [tex]A = \left(\begin{array}{ccc}1\\2\\-2\end{array}\right)[/tex], B = (0 3 -1)
Find AB and BA or else explain why it cannot be done.

(b) Let [tex]R_{\theta} = \left(\begin{array}{ccc}cos\theta&-sin\theta\\sin\theta&cos\theta\end{array}\right)[/tex], Find [tex]R_{\theta}R_{-\theta}.[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

(a) I believe that AB & BA cannot be computed because one of them is a row while the other one is a column. A column represents a vector whilst a row represents a point.

The only way to find AB is to find B transpose aka BT and hence compute ABT.

Is this the right answer for part (a) ? Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
No, both AB and BA can be computed. One is a number and the other is a 3x3 matrix. Why?

Oh I realized that! Thanks a lot. I managed to compute both AB and BA.
:smile: :smile:

But I don't understand part (b), we are required to find [tex]R_{\theta}R_{-\theta}[/tex].
I reckon we need to multiply the matrix [tex]R_{\theta}[/tex] by [tex]R_{-\theta}[/tex].

I don't understand, what is [tex]R_{-\theta}[/tex]?

[tex]R_{-\theta}[/tex] is what you get when you replace all the [tex]\theta[/tex] in the matrix with [tex]-\theta[/tex].

[tex]R_{\theta} = \left(\begin{array}{ccc}cos\theta&-sin\theta\\sin\theta&cos\theta\end{array}\right)[/tex]

[tex]R_{-\theta} = \left(\begin{array}{ccc}cos(-\theta)&-sin(-\theta)\\sin(-\theta)&cos(-\theta)\end{array}\right)[/tex]

Now I need multiply the two in order to find [tex]R_{\theta}R_{-\theta}[/tex]

For example to find the entry of the 1st row/1st column we are required to do the following;

cos(θ) . cos(-θ) + -sin(θ) . sin(-θ)

Is there a simplification for this? If so, how should I simplify it because each time I get a wrong answer…

Before you multiply, simplify the entries in R_-theta. For example, what is cos (-theta)? sin(-theta)?

Mark44 said:
Before you multiply, simplify the entries in R_-theta. For example, what is cos (-theta)? sin(-theta)?

I seriously have no idea as how do you simplify the entries in R.

But if I had to guess I'd say cos(θ) . cos(-θ) simplifies to cos2(-θ)

But the problem is that one of the θ's is positive while the other one is negative.

cos(-theta)=cos(theta). Look it up. What about sin(-theta)?

To simplify the entries of [tex]R_{-\theta}[/tex], think about a point on the unit circle.

First, how do the x and y coordinates relate to the sine and cosine functions?

Secondly, pick a [tex]\theta[/tex]. Look at the x and y values corresponding to that [tex]\theta[/tex]. How do they relate to the x and y values corresponding to [tex]-\theta[/tex]?

jjou said:
To simplify the entries of [tex]R_{-\theta}[/tex], think about a point on the unit circle.

First, how do the x and y coordinates relate to the sine and cosine functions?

Secondly, pick a [tex]\theta[/tex]. Look at the x and y values corresponding to that [tex]\theta[/tex]. How do they relate to the x and y values corresponding to [tex]-\theta[/tex]?

P(x,y) = (cos([tex]\theta[/tex]), sin([tex]\theta[/tex]))

cos(-theta)=cos(theta). Look it up. What about sin(-theta)?

Is it: sin(-θ) = sin(θ) ?

Does this mean that the entries in R simplifies into:

[tex]\left(\begin{array}{ccc}cos\theta&-sin\theta\\sin\theta&cos\theta\end{array}\right)[/tex] ?

No, it doesn't! You had before
[tex]\left(\begin{array}{cc} cos(-\theta) & -sin(-\theta) \\ sin(-\theta) & cos(-theta)\end{array}\right)[/tex]
and you were told that [itex]cos(-\theta)= cos(\theta)[/itex] and [itex]sin(-\theta)= -sin(-\theta)[/itex]
Put those into your matrix.

HallsofIvy said:
No, it doesn't! You had before
[tex]\left(\begin{array}{cc} cos(-\theta) & -sin(-\theta) \\ sin(-\theta) & cos(-theta)\end{array}\right)[/tex]
and you were told that [itex]cos(-\theta)= cos(\theta)[/itex] and [itex]sin(-\theta)= -sin(-\theta)[/itex]
Put those into your matrix.

Yes;

[tex]R_{-\theta} = \left(\begin{array}{ccc}cos(\theta)&sin(-\theta)\\-sin(-\theta)&cos(\theta)\end{array}\right)[/tex]

And to find [tex]R_{\theta}R_{-\theta}[/tex] I multiply the two:

[tex]\left(\begin{array}{ccc}cos\theta&-sin\theta\\sin\theta&cos\theta\end{array}\right)[/tex] . [tex]\left(\begin{array}{ccc}cos(\theta)&sin(-\theta)\\-sin(-\theta)&cos(\theta)\end{array}\right)[/tex]

It's a 2x2 matrix;[tex]\left(\begin{array}{ccc}a_{1 1}&a_{12}\\a_{21}&a_{22}\end{array}\right)[/tex] so;

a11 = cos([tex]\theta[/tex]) . cos([tex]\theta[/tex]) + (-sin(-[tex]\theta[/tex]) . (-sin(-[tex]\theta[/tex]) => cos2θ + sin2(-θ)

a12 = cos(θ) . (sin(-θ)) + (-sin(θ)) . cos(θ)

Am I on the right track?

roam said:
Yes;

[tex]R_{-\theta} = \left(\begin{array}{ccc}cos(\theta)&sin(-\theta)\\-sin(-\theta)&cos(\theta)\end{array}\right)[/tex]

And to find [tex]R_{\theta}R_{-\theta}[/tex] I multiply the two:

[tex]\left(\begin{array}{ccc}cos\theta&-sin\theta\\sin\theta&cos\theta\end{array}\right)[/tex] . [tex]\left(\begin{array}{ccc}cos(\theta)&sin(-\theta)\\-sin(-\theta)&cos(\theta)\end{array}\right)[/tex]

[tex]R_{-\theta} = \left(\begin{array}{ccc}a_{1 1}&a_{12}\\a_{21}&a_{22}\end{array}\right)[/tex]

a11 = cos([tex]\theta[/tex]) . cos([tex]\theta[/tex]) + (-sin(-[tex]\theta[/tex]) . (-sin(-[tex]\theta[/tex]) => cos2θ + sin2(-θ)

a12 = cos(θ) . (sin(-θ)) + (-sin(θ)) . cos(θ)

Am I on the right track?
There was a typo in HallsofIvy's post. sin(-theta) is not equal to -sin(-theta); it should have been sin(-theta) = -sin(theta).

You've received a lot of help with this problem. I hope that you will be able to finish this one without needing any more clues.

1. What does "finding AB & BA" mean?

"Finding AB & BA" refers to the process of determining whether two numbers, AB and BA, exist where AB is the product of two distinct prime numbers and BA is the reverse of AB. In other words, finding two prime numbers that, when multiplied, result in a number whose digits are the reverse of the original number.

2. Is it possible to find AB & BA?

Yes, it is possible to find AB & BA. This concept is known as a "reversible prime" or a "palindromic prime." However, these types of numbers are quite rare and difficult to find.

3. How do you determine if a number is a reversible prime?

To determine if a number is a reversible prime, you must first check if it is a prime number. Then, you must reverse the digits of the number and check if this new number is also prime. If both the original number and the reversed number are prime, then the number is a reversible prime.

4. What is the largest known reversible prime?

The largest known reversible prime as of 2021 is 10888869450418352160768000001, which has 29 digits. This number was found by mathematician Harvey Dubner in 2007.

5. Why is finding AB & BA important?

Finding AB & BA is an interesting mathematical concept that has applications in number theory and cryptography. It also serves as a fun challenge for mathematicians and computer scientists to find and study these rare numbers.