Polytropic Models: Solving Problem at Slide 5

In summary, the author of this ppt said that for a homogenous gas sphere, the polytropic index n has to be equal to 0, but I found that this is not always the case. There is no equilibrium for any value of γ, so if the author is right, how can we demonstrate that n=0?
Giammy85
Hello, I am studing polytropes and I found something intersting here: http://astronomy.sussex.ac.uk/~pd48/Polytropes.ppt

I got a problem at slide 5 where she says that the polytropic index n is equal to 0 for a homogenous gas sphere.

I am not able to figure out why. From the polytropic equation P=K*ro^(gamma) we can write: dP/dr=k(gamma)ro^(gamma-1)d(ro)/dr
and since ro=const we can say that dP/dr=0 for any value of gamma and moreover we can say that there is no equilibrium.

thanks for help

Last edited by a moderator:
Astronomy news on Phys.org
Giammy85 said:
I am not able to figure out why. From the polytropic equation P=K*ro^(gamma) we can write: dP/dr=k(gamma)ro^(gamma-1)d(ro)/dr
and since ro=const we can say that dP/dr=0 for any value of gamma and moreover we can say that there is no equilibrium.

Hi Giammy85! :smile:

(have a gamma: γ :smile:)

I can't see the equations in your slide … the background is too dark.

But if dP/dr = k γ roγ-1 d(ro)/dr, and if ro = constant,

then dro/dr = 0 and dP/dr = 0.

What's the problem? :confused:

tiny-tim said:
Hi Giammy85! :smile:

(have a gamma: γ :smile:)

I can't see the equations in your slide … the background is too dark.

But if dP/dr = k γ roγ-1 d(ro)/dr, and if ro = constant,

then dro/dr = 0 and dP/dr = 0.

What's the problem? :confused:

are you talking about this? http://astronomy.sussex.ac.uk/~pd48/Polytropes.ppt
I can clearly see them in every pc I used

The problem is that according to the author of this ppt for a homogenous gas sphere the polytropic index n has to be equal to 0 and so γ=1+1/n=infinite.

Instead I found that for ro=const there is no equilibrium for any value of γ. So if that author is right, how to demonstrate n=0?

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What is a polytropic model?

A polytropic model is a mathematical model that describes the relationship between pressure, volume, and temperature of a gas or fluid system. It is commonly used in thermodynamics and fluid dynamics to simplify complex systems into a single equation.

2. How is a polytropic model solved?

A polytropic model is solved by using the polytropic process equation, which is a simplified version of the first law of thermodynamics. This equation relates the change in pressure, volume, and temperature of a system undergoing a polytropic process.

3. What is the difference between a polytropic model and an adiabatic model?

While both polytropic and adiabatic models describe the behavior of a gas or fluid system, they differ in their assumptions. A polytropic model assumes that the process is reversible, while an adiabatic model assumes that the process is both reversible and adiabatic (no heat transfer). Additionally, a polytropic process can have any value of the polytropic exponent, while an adiabatic process has a specific value of the adiabatic exponent.

4. What is the significance of the polytropic exponent in a polytropic model?

The polytropic exponent, denoted by the symbol "n", is a measure of the efficiency of a process in a polytropic model. It represents the ratio of specific heats for a gas or fluid and is related to the type of process being analyzed. For example, a polytropic process with n=1 represents a constant temperature process, while n=0 corresponds to an isothermal process.

5. What are some real-life applications of polytropic models?

Polytropic models are commonly used in various fields such as engineering, physics, and chemistry. They are particularly useful in analyzing gas turbine engines, refrigeration systems, and atmospheric processes. They are also used to study the behavior of stars and other celestial bodies in astrophysics.