How can I solve 1-D kinematics problems with limited resources?

In summary: That's incredibly ridiculous. I'm sorry to hear that. In summary, the conversation discusses a student's need for help with a Physics worksheet on 1-D Kinematics. The student is not asking for answers, but rather a list of equations to guide them in solving the problems. A few examples of the problems are given, along with the attempt at a solution, but the student is looking for more basic equations to use. A response is given, providing the student with 3-4 equations to become familiar with, and mentioning a 4th equation as well. The student expresses gratitude for the help, and explains their lack of access to a Physics textbook.
Imabur.

Homework Statement

I have a problem worksheet for my 'Physics A' class. It deals with 1-D Kinematics, which we are just getting into so I am not very sure what equations I need to use. I'm not asking for someone to answer them for me, but to maybe give me a list of a few equations that would help me answer my problems.

A few examples that I have are:

An engineer is to design a runway to accommodate airplanes that must gain a ground speed of 61.0 m/s before they can take off. If these planes are capable of a uniform acceleration of 1.50 m/s2

a) how long will it take them to achieve take-off velocity;​
b) what must be the minimum length of the runway?​

OR

A stone is dropped from an airplane at an altitude of 4.90*102 m. The stone required 10.0 s to reach the ground. At what rete does gravity accelerate the stone?

OR

A driver of a car going 90.0 km/h N, suddenly sees the lights of a barrier 40.0 m ahead. It takes the driver 0.750 s to apply the brakes, and the maximum acceleration during braking is 10.0 m/s2 S. Determine if the car hits the barrier.

Homework Equations

I just need basic equations. How to find how long it will take something to fall, or how to find the acceleration or velocity.

The Attempt at a Solution

The only solutions I was able to find were the simple ones that I could do in my head.

Q. A boy walks 13.0 km in 2.0 h. What is his speen in km/h?

A. 6.5 km/h.

OR

Q. On a baseball diamond, the distance from home plate to the pitcher's mound is 18.5 m. If the pitcher is capable of throwing a ball at 38.5 m/s, how much time does it take a ball to reach home plate?

A. 0.481 s.

Physics news on Phys.org
Thank you, this helps out alot. Yes, they would probably be in a textbook, but my shcool doesn't seem to think it's necessary to buy Physics textbooks, and the one worksheet with the basic equations that i needed is the one i seemed to lose. Since, I do not have a textbook to refer my work to, this seems like perfect forum to take part in.

You're welcome.

There's a 4th equation too, it results from equating the two expressions for vave in that link from post #2.

... my school doesn't seem to think it's necessary to buy Physics textbooks ...

Wow.

1. What are 1-D Kinematic Equations?

1-D Kinematic Equations are a set of mathematical equations used to describe the motion of an object in one dimension (i.e. along a straight line). They involve variables such as displacement, velocity, and time.

2. What are the 5 equations in 1-D Kinematics?

The 5 equations in 1-D Kinematics are:

1. Displacement (Δx) = Initial Velocity (v0) x Time (t) + 1/2 x Acceleration (a) x Time (t)2

2. Final Velocity (v) = Initial Velocity (v0) + Acceleration (a) x Time (t)

3. Displacement (Δx) = (Initial Velocity (v0) + Final Velocity (v)) / 2 x Time (t)

4. Final Velocity (v) 2 = Initial Velocity (v0)2 + 2 x Acceleration (a) x Displacement (Δx)

5. Displacement (Δx) = Final Velocity (v) x Time (t) - 1/2 x Acceleration (a) x Time (t)2

3. What are the units for the variables in 1-D Kinematic Equations?

The units for the variables in 1-D Kinematic Equations are:

- Displacement (Δx) = meters (m)

- Velocity (v) = meters per second (m/s)

- Initial Velocity (v0) = meters per second (m/s)

- Acceleration (a) = meters per second squared (m/s2)

- Time (t) = seconds (s)

4. What is the difference between displacement and distance in 1-D Kinematics?

Displacement refers to the change in position of an object, while distance is the total length of the path traveled by the object. Displacement is a vector quantity (has both magnitude and direction), while distance is a scalar quantity (only has magnitude).

5. How are 1-D Kinematic Equations used in real life?

1-D Kinematic Equations are used in various fields such as physics, engineering, and sports. They can be used to predict the motion of objects, calculate velocities and accelerations, and determine the time and distance traveled by an object. For example, they are used in designing roller coasters, analyzing the motion of projectiles, and understanding the movements of athletes in sports like track and field.