Prehistoric iron smelting - optimization

In summary, Michael is seeking advice on how to evenly distribute air into a furnace and mentions using a special manifold with multiple inlets and a flow restriction fitting. Other users suggest considering the method of adding ore and fuel to the furnace and the use of additional furniture or varying lengths of tuyres.
h4tt3n
Hello everyone,

My questions and link to my webpage is posted over at the original science forums. Please take a look:

http://www.scienceforums.net/forum/showthread.php?t=36161

Cheers,
Michael

Engineering news on Phys.org
My guess would be to try making a special manifold which fits the bottom of the furnace. To allow an "equal" amount of air into the furnace, you might have to mess around with multiple inlets, and possibly a flow restriction fitting. I got one out of McMaster for a leak tester that I was working on which allowed me to put 150 psi into my system at a steady pace when the valve was completely opened as opposed to dumping the air in darn near instantaneously. That would maybe help evenly distribute the air, as well as keep from blasting air into one specific area.

Hope this help somewhat.

Is much known about how the ore and fuel and possibly other 'furniture' is added to the furnace? I recall that a similar problem is seen in fired bricks and is solved today by careful stacking of the green bodies so that the heat reaches everywhere.
Is it possible that a piece of furniture was added to the furnace to aid in the dispersion of the air blast? Or is it likely that the tuyre insertion length was variable... possibly several being used (of varying insertion depths) during the course of the smelt?

1. What is prehistoric iron smelting?

Prehistoric iron smelting refers to the process of extracting iron from iron-rich minerals using heat and reducing agents. It was a crucial technological advancement in human history that allowed people to produce stronger and more durable tools and weapons.

2. How did prehistoric people smelt iron?

Prehistoric people used a simple but effective method of smelting iron by heating iron-rich ores in a charcoal fire. The carbon in the charcoal acted as a reducing agent, stripping oxygen from the iron oxide in the ore, resulting in molten iron.

3. What were the challenges of prehistoric iron smelting?

One of the main challenges of prehistoric iron smelting was achieving and maintaining high enough temperatures to melt the iron. This required large amounts of charcoal and skilled control of the fire. Another challenge was obtaining high-quality iron ore, as not all iron-rich minerals are suitable for smelting.

4. How did prehistoric people optimize their iron smelting process?

Prehistoric people optimized their iron smelting process by experimenting with different types of ores, fuels, and furnace designs. They also developed techniques such as adding fluxes to the ore to improve the quality of the iron produced. Over time, these optimizations led to more efficient and successful iron smelting.

5. Why is the optimization of prehistoric iron smelting important?

The optimization of prehistoric iron smelting was crucial for the advancement of human society. It allowed for the production of better tools and weapons, which improved agricultural practices, trade, and warfare. It also paved the way for the development of more advanced iron smelting techniques in the future.