Limit of function ( sandwich method)

In summary, The sandwich method, also known as the squeeze theorem, is a technique used to evaluate the limit of a function at a given point. It is useful when the direct evaluation of a limit is not possible and can be applied to all types of functions. In order to use this method, the two functions that sandwich the given function must have the same limit, be continuous, and always be greater than or equal to the given function in the given interval. The sandwich method is advantageous because it avoids complicated algebraic or trigonometric manipulations, provides a visual representation of the limit, and can help prove the existence of a limit.
Дьявол
limit of function ("sandwich" method)

Homework Statement

Using the "sandwich" method prove that [tex]\lim_{n\rightarrow \propto }(\frac{sin(n)}{n})=0[/tex]

Homework Equations

[tex]x_n \leq y_n \leq z_n[/tex]

[tex]\lim_{n\rightarrow \propto }(x_n) \leq \lim_{n\rightarrow \propto }(y_n) \leq \lim_{n\rightarrow \propto }(z_n)[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I am honestly little bit confused at this point.

If the answer is:

[tex]\frac{-1}{n} \leq \frac{sin(n)}{n} \leq \frac{1}{n}[/tex]

then my question is if [itex]n=-\frac{\pi}{4}[/itex] then [tex]\frac{-1}{-0.785}[/tex] will be not less or equal to [tex]\frac{\sqrt{2}}{2*(-0.785)}[/tex], where -0.785=[itex]-\frac{\pi}{4}[/itex], where [itex]\pi \approx 3.14[/itex].

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org

Are you sure that n is a real number? Usually n denotes a positive integer in this type of problem.

[itex]-1/n\le sin(n)/n\le 1/n[/itex] for n positive. Obviously, if n is negative, just [itex]-1/n\le 1/n[itex] is not true! Your use of [itex]x\rightarrow \propto[/itex] is a little confusing. Did you mean [itex]\infty[/itex]? Even if you do not interpret n as necessarily being positive, if n is "going to [itex]\infty[/itex]" eventually, for some finite N, if n> N, n will be postive. And you can always drop any finite number of terms in an infinite sequence without changing the limit.

Thanks for the posts. I see now, it was my mistake if an=sin(n)/n, an is progression where n are positive integer numbers. So if:
[tex]-1 \leq sin(n) \leq 1 [/tex]
then divided by n, I'll get:
[tex]-1/n \leq sin(n)/n \leq 1/n[/tex]
Sorry for the symbol, I misspelled it, since I don't cover LaTeX too good at this moment.
Thanks for the help.

For future reference, in LaTex, [itex]\infty[/itex] is "\infty". [itex]\propto[/itex] is "\propto", i.e. "proportional to".

What is the sandwich method for finding the limit of a function?

The sandwich method, also known as the squeeze theorem, is a technique used to evaluate the limit of a function at a given point. It involves finding two other functions that are always greater than or equal to the given function, and have the same limit as the given function at the given point. By sandwiching the given function between these two functions, the limit of the given function can be determined.

When is the sandwich method useful for finding limits?

The sandwich method is useful when the direct evaluation of a limit is not possible, either because the function is undefined or approaches different values from the left and right sides of the given point. It is also useful when the function is complex and difficult to evaluate directly.

What are the conditions for using the sandwich method?

In order to use the sandwich method, the two functions that sandwich the given function must have the same limit as the given function at the given point. Additionally, the two functions must be continuous and their limits at the given point must exist. This method also requires that the two functions are always greater than or equal to the given function in the given interval.

Can the sandwich method be used for all types of functions?

Yes, the sandwich method can be used for all types of functions, including polynomial, exponential, trigonometric, and logarithmic functions. As long as the necessary conditions are met, the sandwich method can be applied to find the limit of any function at a given point.

What are the advantages of using the sandwich method?

The sandwich method is a powerful tool for evaluating limits because it avoids the use of complicated algebraic or trigonometric manipulations. It also provides a visual representation of the limit, making it easier to understand and apply. Additionally, the sandwich method can help to prove the existence of a limit in some cases where direct evaluation is not possible.