Is MCNP free for Pcs with windows xp?How i can get it?

In summary, MCNP is a free software that can be used on PCs with Windows XP. However, its distribution is restricted and it must be obtained through the NEA Data Bank or the Radiation Safety Information Computational Center (RSICC). The latest version is MCNP5 1.40 and MCNPX 2.5.0. Distribution is limited due to export control regulations and certain countries are restricted from obtaining the application. It is possible to obtain a license for personal or institutional use, but it must be applied for directly through RSICC.
saifadin
Is MCNP free for Pcs with windows xp?
How i can get it?

regards

Engineering news on Phys.org

Distribution of MCNP is restricted.

MCNP can be used on Windows XP and is free, but like Astronuc said, its distribution is restricted. You can get a copy, but if you aren't a student or don't live in the US, it might be difficult.
Check out the RSICC website for more information: http://www-rsicc.ornl.gov/

Astronuc said:
Distribution of MCNP is restricted.

Why? Because of concerns like Iran case?
PS:anyway can I ask what's the latest version of it?

Thanks

Lisa! said:
Why? Because of concerns like Iran case?
PS:anyway can I ask what's the latest version of it?

Thanks
I believe it's considered 'applied technology'. Nevertheless, it is under export control, and it's distribution is handled on a case-by-case basis. It might be as simple as 'knowing who has what copies".

I found this on IAEA/NEA's site: All participants must have an MCNP or MCNPX license obtained through the NEA Data Bank or the Radiation Safety Information Computational Center (RSICC) ( http://www-rsicc.ornl.gov/rsiccnew/online.htm ).

RSICC mentions that one cannot obtain MCNP for another party. Any person wishing to obtain the application must apply directly to RSICC, whether for personal or institutional use.

When I first started working in the field, any report shipped overseas had to be accompanied by a page, which included the restrictions on distribution and list of countries, which were basically all communist and Arab (Islamic) nations, as well as S. Africa, and a few others.

For more information - http://www-rsicc.ornl.gov/rsiccnew/mcnp5-1.40release.htm
MCNP5 1.40 and MCNPX 2.5.0 (latest version, AFAIK)

and - MCNP - A General Monte Carlo N-Particle Transport Code - Version 5
http://mcnp-green.lanl.gov/

Thank you very much, Astro!:smile:

When I was first learning MCNP to use for reactor fuel analysis, I ran into the problem that all the cross section libraries were either room temperature or tens of thousands kelvin. Hmm, I wonder what those would be used for...

Thank you Astronuc

Hi Astronuc,
I'm a french student. My master degree give me the opportunitie to have an internship from April to September. Moreover, I have another internship of only two month before (from February to March) to get a skill.
I need to get MCNP skill in the first internship so would like to know if it is possible to get a MCNP license during the second internship, to train?

1. Can I download MCNP for free on my PC with Windows XP?

Yes, MCNP is available for free download on PCs with Windows XP. It can be downloaded from the official website of MCNP or from the CNET website.

2. Is MCNP compatible with Windows XP?

Yes, MCNP is compatible with Windows XP. It can run on both 32-bit and 64-bit versions of Windows XP.

3. Can I use MCNP on Windows XP without any additional software?

No, MCNP requires the installation of additional software called the Fortran compiler in order to run on Windows XP. The Fortran compiler can be downloaded for free from Silverfrost website.

4. Do I need a license to use MCNP on Windows XP?

Yes, a license is required to use MCNP on Windows XP. The license can be obtained from the MCNP website and is free for educational and research purposes.

5. How do I get started with MCNP on Windows XP?

To get started with MCNP on Windows XP, you will first need to download and install the Fortran compiler and then download and install MCNP. After installation, you can refer to the MCNP user manual for guidance on using the software.