New Feature: Highlighted Threads

• Thread starter Greg Bernhardt
  • Start date
In summary, Physics Forums has developed a "Highlighted Threads" feature to mark and track interesting threads that may have been lost over time. This feature will also help users find new interesting threads they may have missed and serve as a "Best of PF" reference. The feature can be accessed through a link in the breadcrumb navbar on the homepage and can be used by those with permission, such as Staff, Science Advisors, and Homework Helpers. The feature allows for highlighting and unhighlighting threads, and can be accessed through the "Thread Tools" dropdown at the thread level. There was a suggestion to have a single menu bar for all functions to make it easier for users. Some issues with the links have been fixed. Overall, this feature has
Because PF is so active, many interesting threads become lost over the months or years. In order to mark and track these threads for later viewing we've developed the "Highlighted Threads" feature. It will also be useful for finding new interesting threads you may have missed. Over time it will serve as a sort of "Best of PF" reference.

These highlighted threads (which are public) will be displayed here:
https://www.physicsforums.com

On the homepage in the breadcrumb navbar there is a link toggle to switch back and forth between views. "Physics Forums - Switch to Forum view / Highlighted Threads".

The usergroups that can highlight a thread are: Staff, Science Advisors, Homework Helpers, Retired Staff, PF Contributors. You'll find a "Highlight Thread" link in the "Thread Tools" dropdown at the thread level.

So those with permission, if you come across a thread that is interesting and you'd like to share with others, go ahead and hit "Highlight Thread". A few new highlighted threads a day would be ideal, don't be shy!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Greg, is there a way to see who did the highlighting?

Will there be any weeding out of threads? I see some threads highlighted that have made me scratch my head. I'm hoping people don't use this feature as a way of just "tagging" a thread they're discussing.

lisab said:
Greg, is there a way to see who did the highlighting?

No, not sure it's relevant.

Evo said:
Will there be any weeding out of threads? I see some threads highlighted that have made me scratch my head. I'm hoping people don't use this feature as a way of just "tagging" a thread they're discussing.

Those who can highlight, can also unhighlight

I think the idea is great, there have been some awesome threads that really deserve a special place.

Thanks for setting this up Greg!

Greg Bernhardt said:
(snip)
Those who can highlight, can also unhighlight

Darwinism? To remain highlighted, a thread has to pass the "weeding" reflexes of the entire staff? For a net permanent highlight population of zero.

I don't think people are going to be making an effort to delete threads. If people use the feature wisely it shouldn't be a problem at all.

Greg, I think this is an excellent new feature. Great work!

Nice.

Clicking on the thread link works okay but clicking on the forum link brings up the vBulletin Message "Invalid Forum specified".

Yes the forum links seem to have, p=forum ID# rather than f=forum ID# at the end of their link on the favourite threads view.

Excellent. I requested something like this a couple years ago and I'm sure I'm not the only one to bring it up.

[Quadratic];2082408 said:
Excellent. I requested something like this a couple years ago and I'm sure I'm not the only one to bring it up.
I remember that one. It was a New Year's request.

Found it:
[Quadratic on Jan 1 said:
I'm not sure if this has been requested before, but I thought a "Best of" sticky would be nice for each forum (or at least the physics and math forums ) :biggrin: Anyway I thought that if the moderators of their respective forums or other mentors had time to link certain threads they found the most interesting or important, it would be easier for members to get to the good stuff if they're pressed for time. I know the mentors have lives away from PF , but it's just an idea.

I don't think I've seen anyone else ask for something like this.

great tool but then I tried to fied that button in some thread, nada, niente, nowhere, So after ample research and consulting friends, there seems to be a thread tools menu in the bar above the first post of the thread, which I have never noticed before, probably because I choose to inverse the order of the thread a long time ago, new posts first, instead of old posts first.

For better monkey proof handling it might be an idea to intergrate all menu functions in a single menu bar always on top of the page.

Andre said:
For better monkey proof handling it might be an idea to intergrate all menu functions in a single menu bar always on top of the page.

hmmm it's on every post page for me.

It appears every 17 posts because the forum default # of posts per page is 16 (for reasons I can't fathom). If you change how many posts you display per page (I have mine set at 10) it still appears on every 17th post.

Kurdt said:
It appears every 17 posts because the forum default # of posts per page is 16 (for reasons I can't fathom). If you change how many posts you display per page (I have mine set at 10) it still appears on every 17th post.

ha, I never noticed that before, hmmm

I think that means I spend far too much time on here. :tongue:

Sorry Greg, in the inverted display, I see post #3 (Evo) till #18 (Kurdt), none of them have a menu anywhere. So, if you're used to this inverted display, you won't see the tools often on top of the page, to notice them. I never did.

dlgoff said:
Nice.

Clicking on the thread link works okay but clicking on the forum link brings up the vBulletin Message "Invalid Forum specified".

tiny-tim said:
Greg, nice feature, but it would be better if the link was to the thread itself, ie to the first post, rather than to the last one (as in https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?p=2081441") :smile:

Both these issues have been remedied

Last edited:

1. What is the purpose of the "Highlighted Threads" feature?

The purpose of the "Highlighted Threads" feature is to make it easier for users to find and keep track of important or popular threads in a discussion forum or messaging platform. It allows specific threads to stand out and be easily identified among the rest.

2. How does the "Highlighted Threads" feature work?

The "Highlighted Threads" feature works by allowing users to select specific threads and mark them as "highlighted". These threads will then be displayed in a different color or with a special label, making them easily noticeable among the other threads.

3. Can anyone use the "Highlighted Threads" feature?

It depends on the platform or forum. Some may allow all users to utilize this feature, while others may limit it to moderators or administrators. It is best to check with the platform's guidelines or settings to see who has access to this feature.

4. What are the benefits of using the "Highlighted Threads" feature?

The main benefit of using the "Highlighted Threads" feature is that it allows important or popular threads to stand out and be easily found by users. This can help with organizing discussions and keeping track of important information. It can also increase engagement and participation in the highlighted threads.

5. Are there any potential drawbacks to using the "Highlighted Threads" feature?

One potential drawback is that if too many threads are highlighted, it can become overwhelming and defeat the purpose of the feature. It is important to use this feature selectively and make sure the highlighted threads are truly important or popular. Another drawback is that it may create a hierarchy within the forum or platform, as some threads may receive more attention and visibility than others.