Explaination needed for Stoichiometric problem and is Al salt colorless?

• Thread starter yeahyeah<3
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Salt
In summary: Therefore, you can only consider the values given for Q when trying to find its atomic weight. When dividing the compound masses by each possible atomic weight option, only 19.0 grams gives whole number results for each of the four samples. Therefore, in summary, the possible atomic weight of element Q is 19.0 grams and the solution is known to contain an inorganic salt of Mn.
yeahyeah<3

Homework Statement

The mass of element Q found in 1.00 mole of each of four different compounds is 38.0 grams, 57.0 grams, 76.0 grams, and 114 grams, respectively. A possible atomic weight of Q is

a) 12.7
b 19.0
c 27.5
d 38.0

A solution is known to contain an inorganic salt of one of the following

elements. The solution is colorless. The solution contains a salt of:

(A) Cu (B) Mn (C) Fe (D) Ni (E) AL

I do not know the answer to this. I know Cu is blue, Mn is pale pink, Ni is green, Co is redish and Al is silver white.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I know the answer is b. 19.0 grams. However, I'm not 100% sure how to get that answer. I know that it's the only one when the compound masses are divided by it you receive whole numbers. Is that how i was supposed to do the problem? That doesn't make sense to me because other elements could have been in the compound..

THANK YOU :)

Physics news on Phys.org
yeahyeah<3 said:

The Attempt at a Solution

I know the answer is b. 19.0 grams. However, I'm not 100% sure how to get that answer. I know that it's the only one when the compound masses are divided by it you receive whole numbers. Is that how i was supposed to do the problem? That doesn't make sense to me because other elements could have been in the compound..
Note that it says the mass of element Q in each sample - not the total mass of the sample!

A stoichiometric problem involves determining the quantitative relationship between reactants and products in a chemical reaction. This includes calculating the amount of each substance involved, based on their respective atomic weights, to ensure that all elements are accounted for and no excess or insufficient amounts remain. In the given problem, the atomic weight of element Q can be determined by dividing the mass of Q in each compound by the number of moles of that compound. The resulting values should be similar and close to the atomic weight of Q.

As for the color of the Al salt, it is not possible to determine based on the given information. The color of a salt depends on various factors such as the oxidation state of the metal, the anion present, and the crystal structure of the salt. Without knowing these factors, it is not possible to accurately determine the color of the Al salt. Therefore, the statement that the solution is colorless does not provide enough information to identify the salt of Al.

1. What is a stoichiometric problem?

A stoichiometric problem is a type of calculation in chemistry that involves determining the amount of reactants and products in a chemical reaction. This is done using the principles of stoichiometry, which is the study of the quantitative relationships between the amounts of substances involved in a chemical reaction.

2. How do I solve a stoichiometric problem?

To solve a stoichiometric problem, you will need to follow a series of steps. First, you must balance the chemical equation for the reaction. Then, you can use the coefficients in the balanced equation to calculate the moles, mass, or volume of the substances involved. Finally, you can use the mole ratio between the reactants and products to determine the quantities of each substance.

3. What is an Al salt?

An Al salt is a compound containing aluminum cations (Al3+) and anions, such as chloride (Cl-), sulfate (SO42-), or nitrate (NO3-). These salts are formed when aluminum reacts with an acid or a base.

4. Why is Al salt colorless?

Aluminum salts are typically colorless because the aluminum cation does not absorb visible light. This means that the substance does not have a specific color and appears clear or transparent to the human eye. However, some aluminum salts may have a slight color due to impurities or the presence of water molecules in their structure.

5. What is the importance of understanding stoichiometry in chemistry?

Stoichiometry is an essential concept in chemistry because it allows us to predict the quantities of substances involved in a chemical reaction. This is crucial for many applications, such as designing industrial processes, producing medicines, and understanding environmental processes. It also helps us to conserve resources and reduce waste by ensuring that reactants are used efficiently in a chemical reaction.