Infinite dimensional representation of su(2)

In summary: So in summary, the author claims to have constructed an infinite dimensional representation of the su(2) algebra using hermitian generators given by J_x=\frac{i}{2}(\sqrt{N+1}a-a^\dagger\sqrt{N+1} ), J_y=-\frac{i}{2}(\sqrt{N+1}a+a^\dagger\sqrt{N+1} ), J_z=N+\frac{1}{2} .
matematikawan
I'm trying to understand this paper which the author claimed that he had constructed an infinite dimensional representation of the su(2) algebra. The hermitian generators are given by

[tex]J_x=\frac{i}{2}(\sqrt{N+1}a-a^\dagger\sqrt{N+1} )[/tex]
[tex]J_y=-\frac{i}{2}(\sqrt{N+1}a+a^\dagger\sqrt{N+1} )[/tex]
[tex]J_z=N+\frac{1}{2}[/tex]

where the creation and the annihilation operators [tex]a^\dagger[/tex] and a satisfy the commutator relation [tex][a,a^\dagger]=-1[/tex] and [tex]N\equiv-a^\dagger a[/tex].

My question is, what is the meaning of the expression [tex]\sqrt{N+1} [/tex]? So that I can proceed with the manipulation.
Does it means the binomial expression
[tex]\sqrt{N+1}= 1 + \frac{1}{2}N + ... [/tex]?

I have been thinking along that line. How do we show that the representation is infinite dimensional?

ps How do you create the superscript operator dagger in tex?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
The dagger symbol is just \dagger. I don't know the answer to any of your other questions. :D

Thanks I have done the necessary changes. They don't have the template for dagger.

Hi,

I think you are a little confused. The N in J_z represents the Number Operator which is defined as a^dagger*a
Where as the N in the square root is just a number and is equal to the eigen value of the Number operator.

Conventionally, that's what I would think of, when I see the equations you have written
But of course, I haven't seen the paper you are referring to and I might be wrong. :smile:

If N is just a number why the author bother to write the expression to the right of [tex]a^\dagger[/tex] .

Yes I agree usually the number operator [tex]N=a^\dagger a[/tex]. But that is in the case of finite dimensional representation.

For your information, the papers that I trying to understand are:

1. Andre van Tonder, Ghosts as Negative Spinors, Nuc. Phys. B 645(2002) pp 371-386.
2. Andre van Tonder, On the representation theory of negative spin, Nuc. Phys. B 645(2002) pp 387-402.

What is attempted in your equations is known in physics as Schwinger's Boson representation of angular momentum algebra ( SU(2) in your case. ) The[tex] J_i[/tex] are the generators of this algebra.
Therefore, one would conclude that the 'N' in the first two eqns are actually numbers:eigenvalue of the operator [tex]\hat{N} = a ^\dagger a [/tex], whose spectrum is infact the set of all non-negative integers, denoted by [tex]N[/tex].
In the third eqn its actually the operator [tex]\hat{N}[/tex]. As u can see it doesn't matter if it is [tex]N[/tex] or, [tex]\hat{N}[/tex]. Both yields the same behavior. If it were a simple number, that eqn denotes (N+1/2)Id, where Id-> identity operator.

OK I make a mistake. But it is in the expression Jy. There shouldn't be the imaginary number i. Other than that I think I have copied correctly.

[tex]J_y=-\frac{1}{2}(\sqrt{N+1}a+a^\dagger\sqrt{N+1} )[/tex]

If it true that [tex]\sqrt{N+1}[/tex] is just a number then

[tex][J_x , J_y]=-\frac{i(N+1)}{4}[a , a^\dagger] = \frac{i(N+1)}{4}.[/tex]

which is not equivalent to the su(2) algebra [tex][J_x , J_y]=iJ_z [/tex].

However if I assume [tex]\sqrt{N+1}[/tex] to be an operator I'm able to verify the relation [tex][J_x , J_y]=iJ_z [/tex].

1. What is the significance of the "infinite dimensional representation" in su(2)?

The infinite dimensional representation is significant because it allows us to study and understand the behavior of su(2) in an infinite-dimensional space. This is particularly useful in quantum field theory and other areas of theoretical physics.

2. How is the infinite dimensional representation of su(2) related to spin in quantum mechanics?

The infinite dimensional representation of su(2) is closely related to spin in quantum mechanics. In fact, it is the mathematical framework that describes the behavior of spin in quantum systems. This representation allows us to understand the properties and transformations of spin in a more precise and rigorous way.

3. Can you provide an example of an infinite dimensional representation of su(2)?

One example of an infinite dimensional representation of su(2) is the Fock space representation, which is used to describe the behavior of a system with an arbitrary number of particles. It is a useful tool in studying many-body systems in quantum mechanics.

4. How does the infinite dimensional representation of su(2) relate to other Lie algebras?

The infinite dimensional representation of su(2) is a special case of the general infinite dimensional representation of a Lie algebra. However, su(2) has some unique properties that make it particularly interesting and useful in physics. Additionally, the techniques and concepts used to study the infinite dimensional representation of su(2) can be applied to other Lie algebras as well.

5. How does the infinite dimensional representation of su(2) relate to the representation theory of Lie groups?

The infinite dimensional representation of su(2) is closely related to the representation theory of Lie groups. In fact, su(2) is a special case of a Lie group, and the infinite dimensional representation is a powerful tool for understanding the structure and behavior of these groups. It also allows us to study the symmetries and transformations of physical systems in a more abstract and elegant way.