Kernel of the adjoint of a linear operator

In summary, the conversation discusses how to prove that if a linear operator T in an inner product space is normal, then the kernel of T is the same as the kernel of its adjoint T*. The steps involved using the properties of inner products and the adjoint to show that an element in the kernel of T is also in the kernel of T*.
julydecember

Homework Statement

Let V be an inner product space and T:V->V a linear operator. Prove that if T is normal, then T and T* have the same kernel (T* is the adjoint of T).

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Let us assume x is in the kernel of T. Then, TT*x =T*Tx = T*0= 0. So T*x is in the kernel of T but this doesn't mean T*x = 0 and I get stuck here. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
You aren't using that T* is the adjoint. Look at x*(T*T)x and x*(TT*)x.

I think I found out how to do this. Are my steps right?
Let x be an element in the kernel of T. Since TT*x = T*Tx = T*0=0, (TT*x,x) = 0 where (,) indicates the inner product.
Then, (TT*x,x) = (T*x,T*x) = ||T*x||^2 = 0 so T*x = 0 and x is in the kernel of T*. The other way can be done similarly.

BTW, what does "x*" indicate in x*(T*T)x? I don't understand...

x* is the adjoint of the vector x. So x*(TT*)x is (x,(TT*)x). Yes, that's it. Show (Tx,Tx)=(T*x,T*x)=||Tx||^2=||T*x||^2.

O.K., thank you.

1. What is the kernel of the adjoint of a linear operator?

The kernel of the adjoint of a linear operator is the set of all vectors that are mapped to the zero vector by the adjoint operator. In other words, it is the subspace of the domain that is mapped to the zero vector in the codomain.

2. Why is the kernel of the adjoint important in linear algebra?

The kernel of the adjoint is important because it helps us understand the properties and behavior of linear operators. It also plays a crucial role in determining the range and null space of a linear operator, and in solving systems of linear equations.

3. How is the kernel of the adjoint related to the kernel of the original operator?

The kernel of the adjoint and the kernel of the original operator are related through the fundamental property of adjoint operators, which states that the kernel of the adjoint is equal to the orthogonal complement of the range of the original operator.

4. Can the kernel of the adjoint be empty?

Yes, the kernel of the adjoint can be empty if the adjoint operator is injective, meaning that it maps distinct vectors to distinct images. This would result in the range of the original operator being equal to the entire codomain, leaving no vectors to be mapped to the zero vector in the kernel.

5. How is the kernel of the adjoint used in applications?

The kernel of the adjoint is used in various applications, including signal processing, image processing, and quantum mechanics. It helps in solving optimization problems, finding eigenvalues and eigenvectors of matrices, and in understanding the behavior of systems described by linear operators.