How to calculate pressure frmo force on piston

In summary: Expert SummarizerIn summary, the forum user is new and seeking help with calculating the pressure increase in their system for harvesting energy from the piston effect of trains. They plan to use the formula V = A x d x f to calculate the volume of air injected by the piston, and then use the ideal gas law to compare it to the volume of their air muscle and determine the pressure increase. They are using air as the gas in their system and are confident in their approach. They are open to further guidance and appreciate any help.
twmc
Hi. I'm new here so apologies if this isn't posted in the correct place.

I'm facing a problem. The situation is this: At a tunnel portal, I am harvesting the energy of the piston effect from trains entering and exiting. I have a number of sails located around the portal edge that. Each sail spans between two lightweight arms that, when hit with the passing air, are forced to rotate around a pivot.
Attached to these arms is a piston. As the arms are forced to rotate outward from the passing air, the piston is exhausted and the air injected into a pneumatic muscle.

I want to work out the rate of pressure increase for the muscle (I have a test rig to determine to rate of contraction from a certain pressure). The average power of each pulse (10s) of the piston effect is 89W. How do I find out the pressure of the system?

My current approach is this:
Let's take one sail as receiving all the power from the piston effect. The sail is pivoted at the top end, with the force hitting the bottom, is 2m long and in a vertical position. The piston is attached 1m from the pivot. Therefore the moment per second will be 89x2=178Nm. As the piston is attached 1m from the pivot, the moment transferred will be 89Nm.

Am I right in thinking I have to calculate the volume of the system (volume of hose = volume of air muscle) then consider the volume or air injected by the piston in order to calculate a pressure increase for each pulse?

I hope someone can help.

Thanks.

Engineering news on Phys.org

Thank you for your post and welcome to the forum! It sounds like you have an interesting project going on with harvesting energy from the piston effect of trains. In order to determine the pressure increase in your system, you are correct in thinking that you will need to calculate the volume of air injected by the piston and compare it to the volume of your air muscle.

To calculate the volume of air injected by the piston, you will need to know the displacement of the piston and the frequency of the pulses. The displacement can be measured by recording the movement of the piston over a certain period of time, and the frequency can be determined by counting the number of pulses per second. Once you have these values, you can use the formula V = A x d x f, where V is the volume, A is the area of the piston, d is the displacement, and f is the frequency.

Once you have the volume of air injected by the piston, you can then compare it to the volume of your air muscle to determine the pressure increase. This can be done by using the ideal gas law, PV = nRT, where P is the pressure, V is the volume, n is the number of moles of gas, R is the gas constant, and T is the temperature. Since you will be using air as the gas in your system, you can assume that the number of moles and the gas constant will remain constant, and therefore the equation can be simplified to P1V1 = P2V2, where P1 is the initial pressure and V1 is the volume of the air injected by the piston, and P2 is the final pressure and V2 is the volume of your air muscle. Solving for P2 will give you the pressure increase in your system.

I hope this helps and please let me know if you have any further questions. Good luck with your project!

1. What is the formula for calculating pressure from force on a piston?

The formula for calculating pressure from force on a piston is pressure = force / area. This means that pressure is equal to the force applied on the piston divided by the surface area of the piston.

2. How do I determine the area of the piston for the pressure calculation?

To determine the area of the piston, you will need to measure the diameter of the piston and use the formula for the area of a circle, which is area = π * (diameter/2)^2. Make sure to use the same units for both the diameter and the force to ensure accurate calculations.

3. Can I calculate pressure from force on a piston if I don't know the area?

No, you cannot calculate pressure from force on a piston if you do not know the area. The area is an essential component of the formula for pressure, so it is necessary to have this value in order to calculate pressure accurately.

4. What are the units for pressure and force in the calculation?

The units for pressure are typically expressed in Pascal (Pa) or pounds per square inch (psi). The units for force can be expressed in Newtons (N) or pounds (lbs). Make sure to use the same units for both the force and area to ensure accurate calculations.

5. How does the angle of the force applied on the piston affect the pressure calculation?

The angle of the force does not affect the pressure calculation as long as the force is perpendicular to the surface of the piston. If the force is applied at an angle, you will need to use trigonometry to calculate the component of the force that is acting perpendicular to the piston's surface.