Fix Electric Motor on Dryer - Get Help Now!

In summary, the conversation revolves around troubleshooting a dryer motor that seems to be stuck or malfunctioning. The suggestion is to inspect the motor assembly and look for any potential issues, such as a seized bearing or metal shavings. It is also advised to be patient and seek help from someone more knowledgeable, instead of trying to fix it oneself.
Aces2High
im working on my dryer motor. its just an electric motor. i turn it on and it seems like the whole motor box is trying to turn instead of just the gear like its stuck or something. does anyone have clue. thanks.

Engineering news on Phys.org
I've never actually messed with a dryer before, but there are only so many moving parts to a motor/gearbox combo.

First of all, are you certain it is a gear box, and not a pulley system? It sounds like a bearing has seized up somewhere, preventing the system from turning.

Your best bet to truly find out what is going on would be to remove the entire motor assembly. Inspect any moving parts (pulleys, and what not). Look for metal shavings.

Once you removed the motor, try to spin the dryer portion by hand. If this spins, it is somewhere in the power train (gearbox or pulleys, which ever.)

Once you remove the motor, hook power back up to it carefully, and see if you can get it to spin without being installed. You can probably use a car battery to safely test it. (maybe not though, I'm not sure of power requirements and what not).

In short, you'd be better off to pick up a news paper and find a good deal on a new dryer.

And be patient, things don't get answered instantly. Someone smarter then me will eventually set you on the correct path. Don't go making other threads on the same topic :)

Last edited:

Hi there,

I'm sorry to hear that you're having trouble with your dryer motor. It sounds like there may be an issue with the gears or the alignment of the motor. I recommend seeking professional help from a certified technician who specializes in appliance repairs. They will have the necessary tools and expertise to properly diagnose and fix the issue with your motor. Trying to fix it yourself could potentially cause further damage and safety hazards. I hope you're able to get your dryer up and running again soon. Best of luck!

1. How do I know if my electric motor on my dryer needs to be fixed?

There are a few signs that may indicate your electric motor on your dryer needs to be fixed. These include a burning smell coming from the dryer, a loud humming or buzzing noise, the drum not spinning, or the dryer not turning on at all. If you notice any of these issues, it is best to seek professional help to fix the electric motor on your dryer.

2. Can I fix the electric motor on my dryer myself?

It is not recommended to try and fix the electric motor on your dryer yourself, especially if you do not have experience or knowledge in repairing appliances. Working with electricity can be dangerous, and attempting to fix the motor without proper training could result in further damage or injury. It is best to seek help from a professional technician.

3. How long does it typically take to fix an electric motor on a dryer?

The time it takes to fix an electric motor on a dryer can vary depending on the extent of the damage and the availability of the necessary parts. In most cases, a professional technician can fix the motor within a few hours. However, if the damage is severe or requires ordering specific parts, it may take longer.

4. How much does it cost to fix an electric motor on a dryer?

The cost of fixing an electric motor on a dryer can vary depending on the make and model of your dryer and the extent of the damage. On average, it can cost anywhere from $150 to $350 for a professional to fix the motor. However, this cost could be higher or lower depending on your specific situation.

5. Can a faulty electric motor on a dryer be repaired, or does it need to be replaced?

In most cases, a faulty electric motor on a dryer can be repaired by a professional technician. They will assess the damage and determine if it can be fixed or if a replacement is necessary. In some cases, a replacement may be the more cost-effective option, especially if the motor is old or severely damaged.